Mailing List Archive: Cisco: BBA

Routing Strategies for Multiple LNSes

Cisco bba RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

matt at melbourne

Routing Strategies for Multiple LNSes

We are looking to update our LNS configurations to improve resiliency, by
adding LNSes and removing static routing. What do most SPs do in terms of
best practice for advertising customer routes (e.g. single static addresses,
and routed subnets) into their network. I am looking to make my LNSes BGP RR
clients, but am concerned about the churn on the BGP processes as users
disconnect and reconnect - is this an issue in practice (the routers to
which the LNSes ould connect do currently have full routing tables) - but
this has to be preferable to even considering using an IGP for 2000+
prefixes :-)

Cheers,

Matt

--

Matthew Melbourne

arievayner at gmail

Re: Routing Strategies for Multiple LNSes [In reply to]

Matthew,

BGP is the right protocol for this.
Most users should be using dynamic addresses from pools, and the pools
should be allocated in ranges to LNSs, and only the pool (as subnet) should
be advertised.
The exception would be users with static IPs/routes provisioned through
RADIUS, but that should be a minority...

Arie