Mailing List Archive: Cherokee: users

Starting sources as a different user?

Cherokee users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

nhytro at googlemail

Jul 13, 2011, 12:53 AM

Starting sources as a different user?

My Python backend sources always write log files in a certain folder
relative to where they exist. If something happens, and Cherokke has
to respawn any of the sources, they are run not as the original owner,
but as the user www-user running Cherokee, that means no rights to
write the log files anymore and the sources do not start.

I have modified the logfile directory to allow the www-user to access
the directory, but I would like to know if it possible to make
Cherokee respawn the sources using another user.

Thanks

stefan at konink

Jul 13, 2011, 12:57 AM

Re: Starting sources as a different user? [In reply to]

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011, Voltron wrote:

> My Python backend sources always write log files in a certain folder
> relative to where they exist. If something happens, and Cherokke has
> to respawn any of the sources, they are run not as the original owner,
> but as the user www-user running Cherokee, that means no rights to
> write the log files anymore and the sources do not start.
>
> I have modified the logfile directory to allow the www-user to access
> the directory, but I would like to know if it possible to make
> Cherokee respawn the sources using another user.

If the backend is a source, and you make Cherokee spawn it, Cherokee
itself is running as root (but the worker works as www-user), Cherokee can
still spawn the Python script under another user.

Stefan

nhytro at googlemail

Jul 13, 2011, 2:28 AM

Re: Starting sources as a different user? [In reply to]

Aha, great, how? I did not find that functionality in the docs. Thanks

On Jul 13, 9:57 am, Stefan de Konink <ste...@konink.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jul 2011, Voltron wrote:
> > My Python backend sources always write log files in a certain folder
> > relative to where they exist. If something happens, and Cherokke has
> > to respawn any of the sources, they are run not as the original owner,
> > but as the user www-user running Cherokee, that means no rights to
> > write the log files anymore and the sources do not start.
>
> > I have modified the logfile directory to allow the www-user to access
> > the directory, but I would like to know if it possible to make
> > Cherokee respawn the sources using another user.
>
> If the backend is a source, and you make Cherokee spawn it, Cherokee
> itself is running as root (but the worker works as www-user), Cherokee can
> still spawn the Python script under another user.
>
> Stefan

aperez at skarcha

Jul 13, 2011, 2:44 AM

Re: Starting sources as a different user? [In reply to]

Hello,

Look the screenshot here[1]. "Execute as user"

[1] http://www.cherokee-project.com/doc/config_info_sources.html

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 11:28 AM, Voltron <nhytro [at] googlemail> wrote:
> Aha, great, how? I did not find that functionality in the docs. Thanks
>
> On Jul 13, 9:57 am, Stefan de Konink <ste...@konink.de> wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Jul 2011, Voltron wrote:
>> > My Python backend sources always write log files in a certain folder
>> > relative to where they exist. If something happens, and Cherokke has
>> > to respawn any of the sources, they are run not as the original owner,
>> > but as the user www-user running Cherokee, that means no rights to
>> > write the log files anymore and the sources do not start.
>>
>> > I have modified the logfile directory to allow the www-user to access
>> > the directory, but I would like to know if it possible to make
>> > Cherokee respawn the sources using another user.
>>
>> If the backend is a source, and you make Cherokee spawn it, Cherokee
>> itself is running as root (but the worker works as www-user), Cherokee can
>> still spawn the Python script under another user.
>>
>> Stefan

Saludos:
Antonio Pérez

nhytro at googlemail

Jul 13, 2011, 3:52 AM

Re: Starting sources as a different user? [In reply to]

Thanks Antonio, must have been blind when I set up the sources :)