Mailing List Archive: Catalyst: Users

Why does the installer include the 'xt' directory

robrwo at gmail

Jul 24, 2012, 4:28 AM

Why does the installer include the 'xt' directory

We are deploying our Catalyst apps by installing them into local::lib
directories for specific users. (Yes, I know many people prefer to just run
the application as-is from the source tree, but we don't.)

Everything works fine, however, Module::Install::Catalyst installs the 'xt'
directory in lib/perl5/MyApp. Why does it do this, and how does one tell it
not to?

moseley at hank

Jul 24, 2012, 8:11 AM

Re: Why does the installer include the 'xt' directory [In reply to]

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 4:28 AM, Robert Rothenberg <robrwo [at] gmail> wrote:

> Everything works fine, however, Module::Install::Catalyst installs the 'xt'
> directory in lib/perl5/MyApp. Why does it do this, and how does one tell it
> not to?

Try this:

http://search.cpan.org/~bobtfish/Catalyst-Devel-1.37/lib/Module/Install/Catalyst.pm#catalyst_ignore(@ignore)

--
Bill Moseley
moseley [at] hank

robrwo at gmail

Jul 24, 2012, 9:35 AM

Re: Why does the installer include the 'xt' directory [In reply to]

On 24/07/12 16:11 Bill Moseley wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 4:28 AM, Robert Rothenberg <robrwo [at] gmail
> <mailto:robrwo [at] gmail>> wrote:
>

> Everything works fine, however, Module::Install::Catalyst installs the 'xt'
> directory in lib/perl5/MyApp. Why does it do this, and how does one tell it
> not to?
>
> Try this:
>
> http://search.cpan.org/~bobtfish/Catalyst-Devel-1.37/lib/Module/Install/Catalyst.pm#catalyst_ignore(@ignore)

I did. It doesn;t seem to have any effect, because it still installs the xt
directory.

moseley at hank

Jul 24, 2012, 10:34 AM

Re: Why does the installer include the 'xt' directory [In reply to]

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 9:35 AM, Robert Rothenberg <robrwo [at] gmail> wrote:

> > Try this:
> >

> http://search.cpan.org/~bobtfish/Catalyst-Devel-1.37/lib/Module/Install/Catalyst.pm#catalyst_ignore(@ignore)

Maybe run "make distclean" first?

You are calling catalyst_ignore before calling catalyst in your Makefile.PL?

If those are done then this always works.. :)

vim $(perldoc -l Module::Install::Catalyst)

--
Bill Moseley
moseley [at] hank

robrwo at gmail

Jul 24, 2012, 10:49 AM

Re: Why does the installer include the 'xt' directory [In reply to]

On 24/07/12 18:34 Bill Moseley wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 9:35 AM, Robert Rothenberg <robrwo [at] gmail
> <mailto:robrwo [at] gmail>> wrote:
>

> > Try this:
> >

> http://search.cpan.org/~bobtfish/Catalyst-Devel-1.37/lib/Module/Install/Catalyst.pm#catalyst_ignore(@ignore)
>

> Maybe run "make distclean" first?

Already tried that.

> You are calling catalyst_ignore before calling catalyst in your Makefile.PL?

Yes.

> If those are done then this always works.. :)
>
> vim $(perldoc -l Module::Install::Catalyst)

Well, it's not working for me.

robrwo at gmail

Jul 24, 2012, 11:14 AM

Re: Why does the installer include the 'xt' directory [In reply to]

On 24/07/12 18:34 Bill Moseley wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 9:35 AM, Robert Rothenberg <robrwo [at] gmail
> <mailto:robrwo [at] gmail>> wrote:
>

> > Try this:
> >

> http://search.cpan.org/~bobtfish/Catalyst-Devel-1.37/lib/Module/Install/Catalyst.pm#catalyst_ignore(@ignore)
>

> Maybe run "make distclean" first?
>
> You are calling catalyst_ignore before calling catalyst in your Makefile.PL?
>
> If those are done then this always works.. :)
>
> vim $(perldoc -l Module::Install::Catalyst)

Ok. Silly cause of the problem. The documentation says it is a regex, rather
than a file glob. Changing it from '.*[.]t$' to '*.t' seems to work.

bobtfish at bobtfish

Jul 24, 2012, 1:04 PM

Re: Why does the installer include the 'xt' directory [In reply to]

On 24 Jul 2012, at 19:14, Robert Rothenberg wrote:

> On 24/07/12 18:34 Bill Moseley wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 9:35 AM, Robert Rothenberg <robrwo [at] gmail
>> <mailto:robrwo [at] gmail>> wrote:
>>

>>> Try this:
>>>

>> http://search.cpan.org/~bobtfish/Catalyst-Devel-1.37/lib/Module/Install/Catalyst.pm#catalyst_ignore(@ignore)
>>

>> Maybe run "make distclean" first?
>>
>> You are calling catalyst_ignore before calling catalyst in your Makefile.PL?
>>
>> If those are done then this always works.. :)
>>
>> vim $(perldoc -l Module::Install::Catalyst)
>
> Ok. Silly cause of the problem. The documentation says it is a regex, rather
> than a file glob. Changing it from '.*[.]t$' to '*.t' seems to work.

Doc patch please? :)

Cheers
t0m

robrwo at gmail

Jul 25, 2012, 3:05 PM

Re: Why does the installer include the 'xt' directory [In reply to]

On 24/07/12 21:04 Tomas Doran wrote:

> On 24 Jul 2012, at 19:14, Robert Rothenberg wrote:
>
>> On 24/07/12 18:34 Bill Moseley wrote:

>>> http://search.cpan.org/~bobtfish/Catalyst-Devel-1.37/lib/Module/Install/Catalyst.pm#catalyst_ignore(@ignore)
>>>

>>> Maybe run "make distclean" first?
>>>
>>> You are calling catalyst_ignore before calling catalyst in your Makefile.PL?
>>>
>>> If those are done then this always works.. :)
>>>
>>> vim $(perldoc -l Module::Install::Catalyst)
>>
>> Ok. Silly cause of the problem. The documentation says it is a regex, rather
>> than a file glob. Changing it from '.*[.]t$' to '*.t' seems to work.
>>

> Doc patch please? :)

I'm not sure what it is. It doesn't work with regular expressions, but it
doesn't behave like proper file globs either.

moseley at hank

Jul 25, 2012, 8:45 PM

Re: Why does the installer include the 'xt' directory [In reply to]

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 3:05 PM, Robert Rothenberg <robrwo [at] gmail> wrote:

> > Doc patch please? :)
>
> I'm not sure what it is. It doesn't work with regular expressions, but it
> doesn't behave like proper file globs either.

next CATFILES if $name =~ /^$ignore$/;

catalyst_ignore( 'xt' );

--
Bill Moseley