Mailing List Archive: Catalyst: Users

Catalyst::ActionRole::RequireSSL under development server

rippls at woodlandschools

Catalyst::ActionRole::RequireSSL under development server

Hi,

We're just upgrading to Catalyst 5.9 from 5.8, and therefore switching from
the old Catalyst::Plugin::RequireSSL to Catalyst::ActionRole::RequireSSL.
The old module would detect when is was running under the standalone
server and so was fine under development. Catalyst::ActionRole::RequireSSL
doesn't seem to play nicely under the development server when hitting an
action requiring SSL. Am I doing something wrong? Are there some settings
in the config somewhere to disable that under debug or something? I want
to avoid having different versions of the Controllers themselves between
dev and production.

Thanks,
Steve

--
Steve Rippl
Technology Director

garrison at zeta

Re: Catalyst::ActionRole::RequireSSL under development server [In reply to]

Good morning,

On 16/04/12 at 11:11 AM -0700, Rippl, Steve
<rippls [at] woodlandschools> wrote:

>We're just upgrading to Catalyst 5.9 from 5.8, and therefore switching from
>the old Catalyst::Plugin::RequireSSL to Catalyst::ActionRole::RequireSSL.
>The old module would detect when is was running under the standalone
>server and so was fine under development. Catalyst::ActionRole::RequireSSL
>doesn't seem to play nicely under the development server when hitting an
>action requiring SSL. Am I doing something wrong? Are there some settings
>in the config somewhere to disable that under debug or something? I want
>to avoid having different versions of the Controllers themselves between
>dev and production.

I could be way off here, but it might be a conflict with other
modules. I don't recall specific reason why, but I'm in process
of creating a version of HTML::FormFu which works as a role
rather than extended in controller base class. It was
conflicting with another ActionRole (can't recall which one
right now).

Charlie

--
Ꮚ Charlie Garrison ♊ <garrison [at] zeta>

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt

rippls at woodlandschools

Re: Catalyst::ActionRole::RequireSSL under development server [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 4:58 PM, Charlie Garrison <garrison [at] zeta>wrote:

> Good morning,
>

> On 16/04/12 at 11:11 AM -0700, Rippl, Steve <rippls [at] woodlandschools>
> wrote:
>
> We're just upgrading to Catalyst 5.9 from 5.8, and therefore switching
>> from
>> the old Catalyst::Plugin::RequireSSL to Catalyst::ActionRole::**
>> RequireSSL.
>> The old module would detect when is was running under the standalone
>> server and so was fine under development. Catalyst::ActionRole::**
>> RequireSSL
>> doesn't seem to play nicely under the development server when hitting an
>> action requiring SSL. Am I doing something wrong? Are there some
>> settings
>> in the config somewhere to disable that under debug or something? I want
>> to avoid having different versions of the Controllers themselves between
>> dev and production.
>>

> I could be way off here, but it might be a conflict with other modules. I
> don't recall specific reason why, but I'm in process of creating a version
> of HTML::FormFu which works as a role rather than extended in controller
> base class. It was conflicting with another ActionRole (can't recall which
> one right now).
>

> Charlie

Thanks for the response, but it does seem to work fine running under
fastcgi, it's only under the development server that it seems to break and
I'm thinking that's because it's on port 3000 and isn't about to jump to
443 and support SSL?

--
Steve Rippl
Technology Director

lists at eightdegrees

Re: Catalyst::ActionRole::RequireSSL under development server [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 4:11 AM, Rippl, Steve <rippls [at] woodlandschools>wrote:

> We're just upgrading to Catalyst 5.9 from 5.8, and therefore switching
> from the old Catalyst::Plugin::RequireSSL
> to Catalyst::ActionRole::RequireSSL. The old module would detect when is
> was running under the standalone server and so was fine under development.

I could be wrong, but I think you'll find both of those modules are testing
for Catalyst::Engine::HTTP which is not applicable since the move to PSGI.
(Possibly depending on how you're running things).

> Catalyst::ActionRole::RequireSSL doesn't seem to play nicely under the
> development server when hitting an action requiring SSL. Am I doing
> something wrong? Are there some settings in the config somewhere to
> disable that under debug or something? I want to avoid having different
> versions of the Controllers themselves between dev and production.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve
>

> --
> Steve Rippl
> Technology Director
> Woodland Public Schools
> 360 841 2730

> Searchable archive:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/catalyst [at] lists/
> Dev site: http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/

rippls at woodlandschools

Re: Catalyst::ActionRole::RequireSSL under development server [In reply to]

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 6:00 AM, Jason Galea <lists [at] eightdegrees>wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 4:11 AM, Rippl, Steve <rippls [at] woodlandschools>wrote:
>
>> We're just upgrading to Catalyst 5.9 from 5.8, and therefore switching
>> from the old Catalyst::Plugin::RequireSSL
>> to Catalyst::ActionRole::RequireSSL. The old module would detect when is
>> was running under the standalone server and so was fine under development.
>>

> I could be wrong, but I think you'll find both of those modules are
> testing for Catalyst::Engine::HTTP which is not applicable since the move
> to PSGI. (Possibly depending on how you're running things).

I think you're absolutely right! I found this...

$c->config->{require_ssl}->{disabled} =
$c->engine->isa("Catalyst::Engine::HTTP") ? 1 : 0;

Anyone know what I should be testing for now? When I query
$c->engine_class I get Catalyst::Engine whether I'm running under the
development server or fastcgi.

Thanks,
Steve

--
Steve Rippl
Technology Director

pagaltzis at gmx

Re: Catalyst::ActionRole::RequireSSL under development server [In reply to]

* Rippl, Steve <rippls [at] woodlandschools> [2012-04-19 00:45]:
> Anyone know what I should be testing for now? When I query
> $c->engine_class I get Catalyst::Engine whether I'm running
> under the development server or fastcgi.

Why not simply `$c->debug`?

rippls at woodlandschools

Re: Re: Catalyst::ActionRole::RequireSSL under development server [In reply to]

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 8:11 PM, Aristotle Pagaltzis <pagaltzis [at] gmx>wrote:

> * Rippl, Steve <rippls [at] woodlandschools> [2012-04-19 00:45]:
> > Anyone know what I should be testing for now? When I query
> > $c->engine_class I get Catalyst::Engine whether I'm running
> > under the development server or fastcgi.
>
> Why not simply `$c->debug`?

That will work! :-)

--
Steve Rippl