Mailing List Archive: Catalyst: Users

Starman and Catalyst

moseley at hank

Starman and Catalyst

I really like the simplicity of Starman for running Catalyst apps. For
production we currently use Apache/mod_perl which seems pretty heave weight
for just decoding requests on a socket and passing to Catalyst. We run a
couple million requests or so through each web server a day on a pool of
8-core web servers.

Anyone here using Starman in production? Can you describe any special
config needed, what you are using for serving static content, and anything
else to be aware of?

We do use server-status with Apache which comes in handy at times to see
what the processes are doing at times of stress. Although, I wonder if
that's not a task that could be done as a Catalyst role that works the same
regardless of what web server is being used.

Is there a better place to ask about Starman?

--
Bill Moseley
moseley [at] hank

catalyst at sethdaniel

Re: Starman and Catalyst [In reply to]

On Fri, Apr 06, 2012 at 09:43:57AM +0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
> I really like the simplicity of Starman for running Catalyst apps. For
> production we currently use Apache/mod_perl which seems pretty heave weight
> for just decoding requests on a socket and passing to Catalyst. We run a
> couple million requests or so through each web server a day on a pool of
> 8-core web servers.
>
> Anyone here using Starman in production? Can you describe any special
> config needed, what you are using for serving static content, and anything
> else to be aware of?
>
> We do use server-status with Apache which comes in handy at times to see
> what the processes are doing at times of stress. Although, I wonder if
> that's not a task that could be done as a Catalyst role that works the same
> regardless of what web server is being used.

For server-status like functionality check out
Plack::Middleware::ServerStatus::Lite
(https://metacpan.org/module/Plack::Middleware::ServerStatus::Lite).

However, if you place Apache in front of starman you don't necessarily
need it. This is, in fact, what I am doing. I have Apache (with
mod_status) in front of a starman catalyst app. I'm also using the
apache worker mpm. I primarily do this because apache is much better
about dealing with ldap than catalyst (or such is my experience so far).
It can also be useful for other reasons.

I don't know of any particularly special options to starman. Typically
when testing I will use plackup and in production I have a service
script which launches sufficient starman processes to handle the
expected load.

For serving static files Plack comes with Plack::Middleware::Static.
You might consider using it or setting up a special instance of a
lighter webserver to deliver static content. I've never tried it but
I imagine something like twiggy with Plack::Middleware::Static might do
a good job.

--
seth /\ sethdaniel.org

edencardim at gmail

Re: Starman and Catalyst [In reply to]

Bill> Anyone here using Starman in production?   Can you describe any
Bill> special config needed, what you are using for serving static
Bill> content, and anything else to be aware of?

You might want --preload-app if you want to save memory.

--
Eden Cardim Need help with your Catalyst or DBIx::Class project?
Code Monkey http://www.shadowcat.co.uk/catalyst/