Mailing List Archive: Catalyst: Users

New catalystframework.org

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All Catalyst users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

tobias.kremer at gmail

Mar 13, 2012, 5:59 AM

New catalystframework.org

Dear list,

it is with great pleasure that I can announce a redesign of the old
Catalyst framework front page. Some of you may remember the draft from
a couple of years back when I first came up with it here on the list.
I tweaked a couple of things (e.g. everything links to MetaCPAN) and
t0m++ pushed it live this morning. I'd like all of you to take a
minute to check it out and give me some (constructive!) feedback:

http://www.catalystframework.org/beta

For now it's just one static page, but we should definitely aim at
bringing more content (e.g. the docs) into the new design. dpetrov++
suggested using the excellent MetaCPAN API to grab the POD, which I
think is a fantastic idea I'm currently experimenting with.
Nevertheless, as it stands now it's already an enormous improvement
over the old site IMHO.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Cheers,
--Toby

drew at drewtaylor

Mar 13, 2012, 6:53 AM

Re: New catalystframework.org [In reply to]

Toby,

This design does look familiar. I would agree that it is quite an
improvement over the old one. Well done!

Drew

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 11:59 PM, Tobias Kremer <tobias.kremer [at] gmail> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> it is with great pleasure that I can announce a redesign of the old
> Catalyst framework front page. Some of you may remember the draft from
> a couple of years back when I first came up with it here on the list.
> I tweaked a couple of things (e.g. everything links to MetaCPAN) and
> t0m++ pushed it live this morning. I'd like all of you to take a
> minute to check it out and give me some (constructive!) feedback:
>
> http://www.catalystframework.org/beta
>
> For now it's just one static page, but we should definitely aim at
> bringing more content (e.g. the docs) into the new design. dpetrov++
> suggested using the excellent MetaCPAN API to grab the POD, which I
> think is a fantastic idea I'm currently experimenting with.
> Nevertheless, as it stands now it's already an enormous improvement
> over the old site IMHO.
>
> Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!
>
> Cheers,
> --Toby

Opera2Parliament - a 3 day bike ride to support Lymphoma Australia.
Please consider donating using the link below.
http://lymphomafundraising.org.au/opera2parliament_2012

chisel at chizography

Mar 13, 2012, 7:45 AM

Re: New catalystframework.org [In reply to]

Looks good. I don't look at the site very often but if I did I'd be quite
happy to see this :)

tobias.kremer at gmail

Mar 13, 2012, 7:45 AM

Re: New catalystframework.org [In reply to]

Hi!

> * The "eBook (PDF) from Apress" link is broken.

Fixed in trunk.

> * grey on black is difficult to read

Made the links in the footer a tad lighter.

> * The amazon.com link leads to amazon.co.uk (not a problem, but unexpected)

It looks like the link is some sort of affiliate link
(tag=enligperlorga-21) which I didn't want to break. Should/Can this
be changed?

> * light peach on white is so difficult to see that I didn't even notice it was there at first

Unfortunately, I don't know what you mean ...

> * fonts are sized in pixels - not good for screens of varying
> resolutions, and specifically ignoring my browser settings

My browser (Chrome) happily scales the fonts (and everything else
accordingly) even though they are sized in pixels. Even Twitter's
bootstrap uses pixels and it's becoming somewhat of a de-facto
standard.

> * in fact, it seems everything is sized in pixels - ugh
> * The layout assumes that I am willing to give it over 1000 wide of my
> screen pixels. I'm not usually, and on my netbook it is physically
> impossible.
> * When it isn't given 1000 pixels, the layout is ugly (the background of
> column 3 is truncated)

Best thing would be a responsive design version. Unfortunately, I
haven't found the time yet to completely overhaul the (2-3 years old)
markup. I just wanted to finally get it out there because the old site
looks horrible IMHO and was partially broken and/or outdated.

Thanks for your comments, Dave!

--Toby

lenjaffe at jaffesystems

Mar 13, 2012, 9:19 AM

Re: New catalystframework.org [In reply to]

Pretty sweet.
Nice work.
Thank you for doing the heavy lifting.

L.
--
lenjaffe [at] jaffesystems 614-404-4214
Proprietor: http://www.theycomewithcheese.com/ - An Homage to Fromage

devin.austin at gmail

Mar 13, 2012, 9:59 AM

Re: New catalystframework.org [In reply to]

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Len Jaffe <lenjaffe [at] jaffesystems> wrote:
> Pretty sweet.
> Nice work.
> Thank you for doing the heavy lifting.
>
> L.
> --
> lenjaffe [at] jaffesystems 614-404-4214
> Proprietor: http://www.theycomewithcheese.com/ - An Homage to Fromage
> Greenbar:Grubmaster:2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, Grub Asst: 2008, Trained:
> 2007.

I like it. Checked it out on my iPhone and it all looks pretty good. Well done!

--
Devin Austin
http://www.dhoss.net

cub.uanic at gmail

Mar 13, 2012, 11:29 AM

Re: New catalystframework.org [In reply to]

Looks good, thanks!

But I have several notes :)

1) it don't fit into 1600x1200 (by height) - and so, it will not fit
into smaller screens. I think, main page should be bit smaller, and
should fit into 1280x1024 at max. I think it will look even better, if
information will be a bit more condensed.

2) phrase "fun, rewarding and quick" looks like link, but this is just
text - compare with "Download", "Install", "Tutorial" on right.

3) image deployment_os_logos.png looks very strange, as for me. why
Windows get more space than all others? :) Give more space for Linux
and FreeBSD! :)) Also, seems Solaris is RIP and so not actual
anymore?..

4) Would you like to switch to use Bootstrap, and implement responsive
page? For now, content width seems to be fixed at 960px, and I think
it should be not very good on smartphones.

Thanks for your effort!

13 марта 2012 г. 18:59 пользователь Devin Austin
<devin.austin [at] gmail> написал:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Len Jaffe <lenjaffe [at] jaffesystems> wrote:
>> Pretty sweet.
>> Nice work.
>> Thank you for doing the heavy lifting.
>>
>> L.
>> --
>> lenjaffe [at] jaffesystems   614-404-4214
>> Proprietor: http://www.theycomewithcheese.com/ - An Homage to Fromage
>> Greenbar: Grubmaster: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, Grub Asst: 2008, Trained:
>> 2007.

> I like it. Checked it out on my iPhone and it all looks pretty good.  Well done!
>
> --
> Devin Austin
> http://www.dhoss.net
> 9702906669 - Cell

Sincerely yours,
Oleg Kostyuk (CUB-UANIC)

cub.uanic at gmail

Mar 13, 2012, 11:33 AM

Re: New catalystframework.org [In reply to]

Bwt, guys - would you like to switch to GitHub?
If nobody have time for this - I can do repo conversion.

--
Sincerely yours,
Oleg Kostyuk (CUB-UANIC)

sesaravanan7 at gmail

Mar 13, 2012, 10:50 PM

Re: New catalystframework.org [In reply to]

Hey, Great work.

I have found few broken links.
1. wiki
2. support.
3. IRC
4. mailing list.
5. Install

Thanks and Regards,

Saravanan S E

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 6:29 PM, Tobias Kremer <tobias.kremer [at] gmail>wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> it is with great pleasure that I can announce a redesign of the old
> Catalyst framework front page. Some of you may remember the draft from
> a couple of years back when I first came up with it here on the list.
> I tweaked a couple of things (e.g. everything links to MetaCPAN) and
> t0m++ pushed it live this morning. I'd like all of you to take a
> minute to check it out and give me some (constructive!) feedback:
>
> http://www.catalystframework.org/beta
>
> For now it's just one static page, but we should definitely aim at
> bringing more content (e.g. the docs) into the new design. dpetrov++
> suggested using the excellent MetaCPAN API to grab the POD, which I
> think is a fantastic idea I'm currently experimenting with.
> Nevertheless, as it stands now it's already an enormous improvement
> over the old site IMHO.
>
> Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!
>
> Cheers,
> --Toby

> Searchable archive:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/catalyst [at] lists/
> Dev site: http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/

tobias.kremer at gmail

Mar 14, 2012, 1:58 AM

Re: New catalystframework.org [In reply to]

Hi,

all of the links you mention are deeplinks into the wiki which,
unfortunately, seems to be quite unstable at the moment and goes down
almost daily. t0m is already trying to reproduce and fix the problem
AFAIK.

Thanks
--Toby

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 6:50 AM, saravanan s e <sesaravanan7 [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hey, Great work.
>
> I have found few broken links.
> 1. wiki
> 2. support.
> 3. IRC
> 4. mailing list.
> 5. Install
>
> Thanks and Regards,
>
> Saravanan S E
>

> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 6:29 PM, Tobias Kremer <tobias.kremer [at] gmail>
> wrote:
>>
>> Dear list,
>>
>> it is with great pleasure that I can announce a redesign of the old
>> Catalyst framework front page. Some of you may remember the draft from
>> a couple of years back when I first came up with it here on the list.
>> I tweaked a couple of things (e.g. everything links to MetaCPAN) and
>> t0m++ pushed it live this morning. I'd like all of you to take a
>> minute to check it out and give me some (constructive!) feedback:
>>
>> http://www.catalystframework.org/beta
>>
>> For now it's just one static page, but we should definitely aim at
>> bringing more content (e.g. the docs) into the new design. dpetrov++
>> suggested using the excellent MetaCPAN API to grab the POD, which I
>> think is a fantastic idea I'm currently experimenting with.
>> Nevertheless, as it stands now it's already an enormous improvement
>> over the old site IMHO.
>>
>> Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> --Toby

>> Searchable archive:
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/catalyst [at] lists/

tobias.kremer at gmail

Mar 14, 2012, 2:14 AM

Re: New catalystframework.org [In reply to]

Hi Oleg,

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 7:29 PM, Oleg Kostyuk <cub.uanic [at] gmail> wrote:
> 1) it don't fit into 1600x1200 (by height) - and so, it will not fit
> into smaller screens. I think, main page should be bit smaller, and
> should fit into 1280x1024 at max. I think it will look even better, if
> information will be a bit more condensed.

Almost no website fits into my window vertically, that's what
scrollbars were invented for ;-) I wanted to make sure that everything
has enough room to breathe. Nevertheless, I'll see if I can put things
closer together to make them fit vertically.

> 2) phrase "fun, rewarding and quick" looks like link, but this is just
> text - compare with "Download", "Install", "Tutorial" on right.

Fixed in trunk.

> 3) image deployment_os_logos.png looks very strange, as for me. why
> Windows get more space than all others? :) Give more space for Linux
> and FreeBSD! :)) Also, seems Solaris is RIP and so not actual
> anymore?..

You're right. I copied this logo from the old site, but it makes
absolutely no sense anymore. Maybe we should replace it with supported
webservers rather than OSs?

> 4) Would you like to switch to use Bootstrap, and implement responsive
> page? For now, content width seems to be fixed at 960px, and I think
> it should be not very good on smartphones.

Bootstrap would be nice, although I haven't worked with it yet.

Cheers,
--Toby

bobtfish at bobtfish

Mar 14, 2012, 3:19 AM

Re: New catalystframework.org [In reply to]

On 13 Mar 2012, at 18:33, Oleg Kostyuk wrote:

> Bwt, guys - would you like to switch to GitHub?
> If nobody have time for this - I can do repo conversion.

To git, sure. Things are being slowly converted as people care - if you care please push a conversion up to github (we've got a fairly comprehensive authors file already) for review, I'd be happy to review / push it into the catalyst git cluster when we're all happy.

Assuming that the people working on the site are happy with / would like to move to git. Toby?

To github - not so much, other than as a mirror. There's already a Catalyst git cluster :)

Cheers
t0m

mromani at ottotecnica

Mar 14, 2012, 5:58 AM

Re: New catalystframework.org [In reply to]

Il 13/03/2012 13:59, Tobias Kremer ha scritto:
> Dear list,
>
> it is with great pleasure that I can announce a redesign of the old
> Catalyst framework front page. Some of you may remember the draft from
> a couple of years back when I first came up with it here on the list.
> I tweaked a couple of things (e.g. everything links to MetaCPAN) and
> t0m++ pushed it live this morning. I'd like all of you to take a
> minute to check it out and give me some (constructive!) feedback:
>
> http://www.catalystframework.org/beta
>
> For now it's just one static page, but we should definitely aim at
> bringing more content (e.g. the docs) into the new design. dpetrov++
> suggested using the excellent MetaCPAN API to grab the POD, which I
> think is a fantastic idea I'm currently experimenting with.
> Nevertheless, as it stands now it's already an enormous improvement
> over the old site IMHO.
>
> Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!
>
> Cheers,
> --Toby

FWIW, I think it's an excellent work.
T0m's photo might be a bit frightening for newcomers, though ;-)

--
Marcello Romani

cub.uanic at gmail

Mar 14, 2012, 6:20 AM

Re: New catalystframework.org [In reply to]

14 марта 2012 г. 12:19 пользователь Tomas Doran <bobtfish [at] bobtfish> написал:

> On 13 Mar 2012, at 18:33, Oleg Kostyuk wrote:
>
>> Bwt, guys - would you like to switch to GitHub?
>> If nobody have time for this - I can do repo conversion.
>
> To git, sure. Things are being slowly converted as people care - if you care please push a conversion up to github (we've got a fairly comprehensive authors file already) for review, I'd be happy to review / push it into the catalyst git cluster when we're all happy.

Ok, but you know - for conversion I need this authors file. How I can
get it? It is in the public domain?

> Assuming that the people working on the site are happy with / would like to move to git. Toby?
>
> To github - not so much, other than as a mirror. There's already a Catalyst git cluster :)
>
> Cheers
> t0m

Sincerely yours,
Oleg Kostyuk (CUB-UANIC)

tobias.kremer at gmail

Mar 14, 2012, 6:48 AM

Re: New catalystframework.org [In reply to]

> Assuming that the people working on the site are happy with / would like to move to git. Toby?

I'm totally fine with that :)

Cheers!

--Toby

emazep at gmail

Mar 14, 2012, 11:50 AM

Re: New catalystframework.org [In reply to]

On 2012-03-13 13:59, Tobias Kremer wrote:

> http://www.catalystframework.org/beta
> [...]
> Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Great work, thanks!

Just one thing: the body background-color should be explicitly set to
"white", otherwise those users who have set a browser custom fallback
background color (different from white), will see that.

Thanks again!

-Emanuele

tobias.kremer at gmail

Mar 15, 2012, 12:58 AM

Re: New catalystframework.org [In reply to]

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 7:50 PM, Emanuele Zeppieri <emazep [at] gmail> wrote:
> Just one thing: the body background-color should be explicitly set to
> "white", otherwise those users who have set a browser custom fallback
> background color (different from white), will see that.

Good point! Fixed it in trunk.

Cheers,
--Toby

bobtfish at bobtfish

Mar 15, 2012, 2:47 AM

Re: New catalystframework.org [In reply to]

On 14 Mar 2012, at 13:20, Oleg Kostyuk wrote:

> 14 марта 2012 г. 12:19 пользователь Tomas Doran <bobtfish [at] bobtfish> написал:
>>
>> On 13 Mar 2012, at 18:33, Oleg Kostyuk wrote:
>>
>>> Bwt, guys - would you like to switch to GitHub?
>>> If nobody have time for this - I can do repo conversion.
>>
>> To git, sure. Things are being slowly converted as people care - if you care please push a conversion up to github (we've got a fairly comprehensive authors file already) for review, I'd be happy to review / push it into the catalyst git cluster when we're all happy.
>
> Ok, but you know - for conversion I need this authors file. How I can
> get it? It is in the public domain?

http://git.shadowcat.co.uk/gitweb/gitweb.cgi?p=catagits/gitosis-admin.git;a=blob;f=authors;h=9b63ce4a81c7e7fc4703519cc248bfc221d508bb;hb=HEAD

Could do with a little updating - all the entries being used are confirmed.

Cheers
t0m

tobias.kremer at gmail

Mar 16, 2012, 5:56 AM

Re: New catalystframework.org [In reply to]

And ... we're live:

http://www.catalystframework.org

Thanks to dpetrov, t0m, castaway and everyone else for their support.
If there's something wrong with the front site, just drop me a line.
If there's something wrong in the linked wiki pages ... well, you know
how to fix them. ;-)

Cheers
--Toby

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 10:47 AM, Tomas Doran <bobtfish [at] bobtfish> wrote:

> On 14 Mar 2012, at 13:20, Oleg Kostyuk wrote:
>
>> 14 2012 . 12:19 Tomas Doran <bobtfish [at] bobtfish> :

>>> To git, sure. Things are being slowly converted as people care - if you care please push a conversion up to github (we've got a fairly comprehensive authors file already) for review, I'd be happy to review / push it into the catalyst git cluster when we're all happy.
>>
>> Ok, but you know - for conversion I need this authors file. How I can
>> get it? It is in the public domain?
>>

> http://git.shadowcat.co.uk/gitweb/gitweb.cgi?p=catagits/gitosis-admin.git;a=blob;f=authors;h=9b63ce4a81c7e7fc4703519cc248bfc221d508bb;hb=HEAD
>
> Could do with a little updating - all the entries being used are confirmed.
>
> Cheers
> t0m

ostmann at websuche

Mar 16, 2012, 6:05 AM

Re: New catalystframework.org [In reply to]

I am confused about the icon in the "Get started now!" field.

The text is ok, but the icon symbol stands for a download and i expected
something to download behind that link. Perhaps another icon at that place
will be better.

2012/3/16 Tobias Kremer <tobias.kremer [at] gmail>

> And ... we're live:
>
> http://www.catalystframework.org
>
> Thanks to dpetrov, t0m, castaway and everyone else for their support.
> If there's something wrong with the front site, just drop me a line.
> If there's something wrong in the linked wiki pages ... well, you know
> how to fix them. ;-)
>
> Cheers
> --Toby
>

> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 10:47 AM, Tomas Doran <bobtfish [at] bobtfish>
> wrote:
> >
> > On 14 Mar 2012, at 13:20, Oleg Kostyuk wrote:
> >
> >> 14 марта 2012 г. 12:19 пользователь Tomas Doran <bobtfish [at] bobtfish>

> you care please push a conversion up to github (we've got a fairly
> comprehensive authors file already) for review, I'd be happy to review /
> push it into the catalyst git cluster when we're all happy.
> >>
> >> Ok, but you know - for conversion I need this authors file. How I can
> >> get it? It is in the public domain?
> >>

> http://git.shadowcat.co.uk/gitweb/gitweb.cgi?p=catagits/gitosis-admin.git;a=blob;f=authors;h=9b63ce4a81c7e7fc4703519cc248bfc221d508bb;hb=HEAD
> >
> > Could do with a little updating - all the entries being used are
> confirmed.
> >
> > Cheers
> > t0m

> > Searchable archive:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/catalyst [at] lists/
> > Dev site: http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/

> Searchable archive:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/catalyst [at] lists/

Mit freundlichem Gruß
Felix Ostmann

Websuche Search Technology GmbH & Co. KG
Martinistraße 3, D-49080 Osnabrück, Germany
Tel.: +49 (0) 541 / 40666 0, Fax: +49 (0) 541 / 40666 22
Email: info [at] websuche, Web: www.websuche.com
AG Osnabrück - HRA 200252, Ust-IdNr.: DE814737310
Komplementärin: Websuche Search Technology Verwaltungs GmbH
AG Osnabrück - HRB 200359, Geschäftsführer: Ansas Meyer

Die in dieser Email enthaltenen Informationen sind vertrau-
lich zu behandeln und ausschließlich für den Adressaten be-
stimmt. Jegliche Veröffentlichung, Verteilung oder sonstige
in diesem Zusammenhang stehende Handlung wird ausdrücklich
untersagt.

tobias.kremer at gmail

Mar 16, 2012, 6:21 AM

Re: New catalystframework.org [In reply to]

You're right, that's misleading! Let me think about this :)

Cheers,
--Toby

lenjaffe at jaffesystems

Mar 16, 2012, 6:33 AM

Re: New catalystframework.org [In reply to]

It should be an icon of a person with the top of their skull open, on a
hinge, and a second person pouring the universe into the open skull.

Mar 16, 2012, 10:57 AM

Re: New catalystframework.org [In reply to]

Hello Tomas,

Seems these accounts are in SVN history, but absent in authors file:

andyg
dnm
dwc
hobbs
jhannah
jrockway
jshirley
kixx
marcus
matthewt
mdk
phaylon
soulchild
sri
t0m
tom_m
yacoob
zarquon

Some of them are well-know developers, and most probably I can add
them into authors file without your help. But only some, not all. And
so I have to ask you - could you please update authors file?

Thanks!

15 марта 2012 г. 11:47 пользователь Tomas Doran <bobtfish [at] bobtfish> написал:

> On 14 Mar 2012, at 13:20, Oleg Kostyuk wrote:
>
>> 14 марта 2012 г. 12:19 пользователь Tomas Doran <bobtfish [at] bobtfish> написал:

>>> To git, sure. Things are being slowly converted as people care - if you care please push a conversion up to github (we've got a fairly comprehensive authors file already) for review, I'd be happy to review / push it into the catalyst git cluster when we're all happy.
>>
>> Ok, but you know - for conversion I need this authors file. How I can
>> get it? It is in the public domain?
>>

> http://git.shadowcat.co.uk/gitweb/gitweb.cgi?p=catagits/gitosis-admin.git;a=blob;f=authors;h=9b63ce4a81c7e7fc4703519cc248bfc221d508bb;hb=HEAD
>
> Could do with a little updating - all the entries being used are confirmed.
>
> Cheers
> t0m

Sincerely yours,
Oleg Kostyuk (CUB-UANIC)

tobias.kremer at gmail

Mar 21, 2012, 2:17 AM

Re: New catalystframework.org [In reply to]

Brilliant idea! We could use DHH's head :)

It would probably make sense to just use the upcoming MetaCPAN logo.
Let's hope that the MetaCPAN team makes a good choice. By the way:
This one is totally awesome:
http://entries.contest.metacpan.org/2012/01/raul-matei-books-left.html

--Toby

pagaltzis at gmx

Mar 21, 2012, 5:04 PM

Re: New catalystframework.org [In reply to]

* Tobias Kremer <tobias.kremer [at] gmail> [2012-03-21 10:25]:
> Let's hope that the MetaCPAN team makes a good choice. By the way:
> This one is totally awesome:
> http://entries.contest.metacpan.org/2012/01/raul-matei-books-left.html

Unlike almost all of them, yes… listed at <https://vote.metacpan.org/>.
It certainly is the only one that contains any cultural reference…
except for the recoloured CPAN logo, but let’s be real.

There are some other decent attempts but they are all just cool-looking
generic logo-like thingies, they could stand for almost anything just as
well as for MetaCPAN. And none of them translate to readily recognisable
iconography (e.g. for the favicon), not like that one.

If only I had made my wishlist MetaCPAN patch soon enough to be eligible
to vote now… :-(