Mailing List Archive: Catalyst: Users

Catalyst 5.9007 / memcache /high cpu

todd.benge at trackvia

Feb 16, 2012, 4:16 PM

Catalyst 5.9007 / memcache /high cpu

Hi,

We recently updated our web servers to Catalyst 5.9007 with Perl 5.12.

After the upgrade, we've consistently seen very high cpu on the machines > 90%. After much looking, it appears that the apache threads are stuck in Cache::Memcached disconnecting.

We use Catalyst:Plugin::Session::Store::Cache::Memcached and Plugin::Session. We've tried Cache::Memcached::Fast but see random segmentation faults.

So, I'm looking to see if anyone else has seen this problem or may have any suggestions?

One option we're considering is moving away from the Memcached session store and using DBIC instead? Any recommendations?

I appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Todd

toby at dryft

Feb 16, 2012, 5:27 PM

Re: Catalyst 5.9007 / memcache /high cpu [In reply to]

On 17 February 2012 11:16, Todd Benge <todd.benge [at] trackvia> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We recently updated our web servers to Catalyst 5.9007 with Perl 5.12.
>
> After the upgrade, we've consistently seen very high cpu on the machines >
> 90%.  After much looking, it appears that the apache threads are stuck in
> Cache::Memcached disconnecting.

Which Apache model are you using? Prefork, worker threads, events?

todd.benge at trackvia

Feb 16, 2012, 5:48 PM

Re: Catalyst 5.9007 / memcache /high cpu [In reply to]

We're using PreFork.

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 16, 2012, at 6:29 PM, Toby Corkindale <toby [at] dryft> wrote:

> On 17 February 2012 11:16, Todd Benge <todd.benge [at] trackvia> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We recently updated our web servers to Catalyst 5.9007 with Perl 5.12.
>>
>> After the upgrade, we've consistently seen very high cpu on the machines >
>> 90%. After much looking, it appears that the apache threads are stuck in
>> Cache::Memcached disconnecting.
>
> Which Apache model are you using? Prefork, worker threads, events?

toby at dryft

Feb 19, 2012, 6:03 PM

Re: Catalyst 5.9007 / memcache /high cpu [In reply to]

Ah, I don't know then.

Was just going to say that Cache::Memcached uses AnyEvent under the
hood, and maybe that was interfering with apache's event loop if you
were using that model.

On 17 February 2012 12:48, Todd Benge <todd.benge [at] trackvia> wrote:
> We're using PreFork.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Feb 16, 2012, at 6:29 PM, Toby Corkindale <toby [at] dryft> wrote:
>
>> On 17 February 2012 11:16, Todd Benge <todd.benge [at] trackvia> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We recently updated our web servers to Catalyst 5.9007 with Perl 5.12.
>>>
>>> After the upgrade, we've consistently seen very high cpu on the machines >
>>> 90%.  After much looking, it appears that the apache threads are stuck in
>>> Cache::Memcached disconnecting.
>>
>> Which Apache model are you using? Prefork, worker threads, events?

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer
Things fall apart; the center cannot hold
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

vovkasm at gmail

Feb 19, 2012, 9:08 PM

Re: Catalyst 5.9007 / memcache /high cpu [In reply to]

2012/2/17 Todd Benge <todd.benge [at] trackvia>:
> Hi,
>
> We recently updated our web servers to Catalyst 5.9007 with Perl 5.12.
>
> After the upgrade, we've consistently seen very high cpu on the machines >
> 90%.  After much looking, it appears that the apache threads are stuck in
> Cache::Memcached disconnecting.
>
> We use Catalyst:Plugin::Session::Store::Cache::Memcached and
> Plugin::Session.  We've tried Cache::Memcached::Fast but see random
> segmentation faults.
>
> So, I'm looking to see if anyone else has seen this problem or may have any
> suggestions?

I've seen similar problems when the connection (to memcached in this
case) was set up before fork. After fork, you can't reuse same socket.
For example: DBIC automatically handle it, by compare saved (on
connect time) pid with current pid, and reconnect when they not equal.

> One option we're considering is moving away from the Memcached session store
> and using DBIC instead?  Any recommendations?
>
> I appreciate any help.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Todd

Vladimir Timofeev <vovkasm [at] gmail>