Mailing List Archive: Catalyst: Users

Best way to install upgrade to FC12 (or how to get by a failing CPAN upgrade)

evan.carew at gmail

Feb 12, 2012, 6:32 PM

Best way to install upgrade to FC12 (or how to get by a failing CPAN upgrade)

I have the older Catalyst packages for my stock FC12 laptop installed, and
I've failed to upgrade them twice already. The question I have is what's
the best way to get the latest Catalyst installed on my linux box. Do I
need to clear out perl entirely, and start from scratch, or is there some
not-so-well-known procedure besides CPAN to upgrade to the latest.

Perl version: 5.10.0
old Catalyst version: perl-Catalyst-Runtime-5.80013-2.fc12.noarch

diment at gmail

Feb 12, 2012, 10:47 PM

Re: Best way to install upgrade to FC12 (or how to get by a failing CPAN upgrade) [In reply to]

On 13/02/2012, at 1:32 PM, Evan Carew wrote:

> I have the older Catalyst packages for my stock FC12 laptop installed, and
> I've failed to upgrade them twice already. The question I have is what's
> the best way to get the latest Catalyst installed on my linux box. Do I
> need to clear out perl entirely, and start from scratch, or is there some
> not-so-well-known procedure besides CPAN to upgrade to the latest.

1. Compile your own perl to /usr/local/bin or a relocatable perl

1a If relocatable also install and configure local::lib (mainly because of shebang issues and relocatable perl) (optionally install and configure local::lib anyway).

2. Update your PATH variable if necessary.

3. Install App::Cpanminus.

4. Leave the system perl alone for system utilities.

evan.carew at gmail

Feb 13, 2012, 4:56 AM

Re: Best way to install upgrade to FC12 (or how to get by a failing CPAN upgrade) [In reply to]

Thanks for the suggestion. Compiling my own perl build was really a last
ditch option I regarded as admitting defeat, i.e., fixing / finding the
actual problem wa deemed to difficult.

Late last night, after going through the build logs in much greater detail,
I noticed that a number of packages were asking for module builder of a
recent vintage. Turns out that this was the root of the problem. Module
builder needed to update itself, however, somewhere along the line, module
builder broke its ability to update itself more than one point release at a
time. Once I fixed this, Catalyst updated just fine.
On Feb 13, 2012 1:48 AM, "Kieren Diment" <diment [at] gmail> wrote:

> On 13/02/2012, at 1:32 PM, Evan Carew wrote:
>
> > I have the older Catalyst packages for my stock FC12 laptop installed,
> and
> > I've failed to upgrade them twice already. The question I have is what's
> > the best way to get the latest Catalyst installed on my linux box. Do I
> > need to clear out perl entirely, and start from scratch, or is there some
> > not-so-well-known procedure besides CPAN to upgrade to the latest.
>
> 1. Compile your own perl to /usr/local/bin or a relocatable perl
>
> 1a If relocatable also install and configure local::lib (mainly because of
> shebang issues and relocatable perl) (optionally install and configure
> local::lib anyway).
>
> 2. Update your PATH variable if necessary.
>
> 3. Install App::Cpanminus.
>
> 4. Leave the system perl alone for system utilities.
> Searchable archive:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/catalyst [at] lists/
> Dev site: http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/

diment at gmail

Feb 13, 2012, 5:09 AM

Re: Best way to install upgrade to FC12 (or how to get by a failing CPAN upgrade) [In reply to]

On 13/02/2012, at 11:56 PM, Evan Carew wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion. Compiling my own perl build was really a last
> ditch option I regarded as admitting defeat, i.e., fixing / finding the
> actual problem wa deemed to difficult.

I used to think that too. Now (given I strongly prefer the relocatable perl approach) I find that I very rarely need to build a new perl. And it saves me many headaches with worrying about, and fighting with the system perl. Especially with cpanminus. But I am me and you are you. I take the blame[1] for local perl infrastructure on debian, ubuntu, os x, windows and solaris systems, and this approach works well for me (I use strawberry relocatable for windows, which means I find solaris a bigger headache than windows for the most part - the others are pretty much incident free). Now that we have cpanminus I would never go back to OS package manager based systems if I could help it.

[1] Blame is not the same as responsibility.