Mailing List Archive: Catalyst: Users

Tutorial Woes on OS X

wbblists at doplganger

Sep 22, 2011, 12:58 PM

Tutorial Woes on OS X

Hello-

I'm trying to run the Catalyst Tutorial on OS X. I installed
VirtualBox and the tutorial according to the instructions on the
shadowcat website. Everything seems to work, except there is no
network connection, only the local loopback, lo 127.0.0.1.

Then I installed a Debian VM (same version as the Catalyst Tutorial),
and that works fine, meaning the Bridged Adapter gives a network
connection with an IP from my DHCP server.

Any suggestions?

-Bill

kellert at ohsu

Sep 22, 2011, 2:22 PM

Re: Tutorial Woes on OS X [In reply to]

Parallels
... works for me.

On Sep 22, 2011, at 12:58 PM, Bill Birkett wrote:

> Hello-
>
> I'm trying to run the Catalyst Tutorial on OS X. I installed
> VirtualBox and the tutorial according to the instructions on the
> shadowcat website. Everything seems to work, except there is no
> network connection, only the local loopback, lo 127.0.0.1.
>
> Then I installed a Debian VM (same version as the Catalyst Tutorial),
> and that works fine, meaning the Bridged Adapter gives a network
> connection with an IP from my DHCP server.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> -Bill

garrison at zeta

Sep 22, 2011, 4:58 PM

Re: Tutorial Woes on OS X [In reply to]

Good morning,

On 22/09/11 at 3:58 PM -0400, Bill Birkett
<wbblists [at] doplganger> wrote:

>I'm trying to run the Catalyst Tutorial on OS X. I installed
>VirtualBox and the tutorial according to the instructions on
>the shadowcat website. Everything seems to work, except there
>is no network connection, only the local loopback, lo 127.0.0.1.

Why do you need to install in a VM? Why not just install for
OSX? You probably want your own perl (not system's perl) but
that's easy to do with perlbrew.

Charlie

--
Ꮚ Charlie Garrison ♊ <garrison [at] zeta>

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt

wbblists at doplganger

Sep 22, 2011, 5:15 PM

Re: Tutorial Woes on OS X [In reply to]

What version of Parallels are you running? I was unable to migrate
the VM using Build 5.0.9376.

>Parallels
>... works for me.
>
>On Sep 22, 2011, at 12:58 PM, Bill Birkett wrote:
>
>> Hello-
>>
>> I'm trying to run the Catalyst Tutorial on OS X. I installed
>> VirtualBox and the tutorial according to the instructions on the
>> shadowcat website. Everything seems to work, except there is no
>> network connection, only the local loopback, lo 127.0.0.1.
>>
>> Then I installed a Debian VM (same version as the Catalyst Tutorial),
>> and that works fine, meaning the Bridged Adapter gives a network
>> connection with an IP from my DHCP server.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> -Bill

wbblists at doplganger

Sep 22, 2011, 5:31 PM

Re: Tutorial Woes on OS X [In reply to]

Thanks for suggesting perlbrew. Sounds like a good solution.

The tutorial VM is strongly recommended in the
tutorial documentation, which is why I went down
that path.

>Why do you need to install in a VM? Why not just
>install for OSX? You probably want your own perl
>(not system's perl) but that's easy to do with
>perlbrew.
>

>Charlie
>
>--
> ? Charlie Garrison ? <garrison [at] zeta>
>
>O< ascii ribbon campaign - stop html mail - www.asciiribbon.org
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt

wbblists at doplganger

Sep 23, 2011, 4:41 AM

Re: Tutorial Woes on OS X [In reply to]

I installed a working copy of Perl with perlbrew,
cpan'd the tutorial modules and svn'd the
tutorial test files. Two hours and one missing
module later, success.

>Thanks for suggesting perlbrew. Sounds like a good solution.
>
>The tutorial VM is strongly recommended in the
>tutorial documentation, which is why I went down
>that path.
>
>>Why do you need to install in a VM? Why not
>>just install for OSX? You probably want your
>>own perl (not system's perl) but that's easy to
>>do with perlbrew.
>>

>>Charlie
>>
>>--
>> ? Charlie Garrison ? <garrison [at] zeta>
>>
>>O< ascii ribbon campaign - stop html mail - www.asciiribbon.org
>>܄ http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt

kellert at ohsu

Sep 23, 2011, 9:34 AM

Re: Tutorial Woes on OS X [In reply to]

I'm running Lion (10.7.1) so I upgraded Parallels to v.7. When you download and unarchive the vm archive, it won't have the parallels format, but Parallels will reformat CatalystTutorial.vmdk file and add it to it's list of VMs.

best of luck,
Tom
MMI DNA Services Core Facility
503-494-2442