Mailing List Archive: Catalyst: Users

Can the latest Catalyst version from CPAN be installed under Windows?

orasnita at gmail

Sep 8, 2011, 1:05 PM

Can the latest Catalyst version from CPAN be installed under Windows?

Hi,

I have tried to install Catalyst with CPAN, but it gave an error telling that it has a missing dependency in Plack::Test::ExternalServer.

That module couldn't install because of a test error (something like a missing empty port or something like that)

So I force installed Plack::Test::ExternalServer, but after this step, when I tried to install again Catalyst, it gave more errors:

Failed 107/141 test programs. 15/385 subtests failed.

Octavian

kellert at ohsu

Sep 8, 2011, 1:30 PM

Re: Can the latest Catalyst version from CPAN be installed under Windows? [In reply to]

If you are on OS X, you can use MacPorts to install Catalyst. I had tried using CPAN, but got seemingly circular errors as well.

Tom
MMI DNA Services Core Facility
503-494-2442
kellert at ohsu.edu
Office: 6588 RJH (CROET/BasicScience)

OHSU Shared Resources

On Sep 8, 2011, at 1:05 PM, Octavian Rasnita wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have tried to install Catalyst with CPAN, but it gave an error telling that it has a missing dependency in Plack::Test::ExternalServer.
>
> That module couldn't install because of a test error (something like a missing empty port or something like that)
>
> So I force installed Plack::Test::ExternalServer, but after this step, when I tried to install again Catalyst, it gave more errors:
>
> Failed 107/141 test programs. 15/385 subtests failed.
>
> Octavian

jjn1056 at yahoo

Sep 8, 2011, 6:21 PM

Re: Can the latest Catalyst version from CPAN be installed under Windows? [In reply to]

I'd really love to see some logs of this problem. I am on MacOSX and don't have problems of this magnitude when installing Catalyst. However I don't use the built in system Perl, I use Perlbrew + local::lib + cpanm as my primary build toolchain. If I use a modern Perl (5.12+) the only things that give me trouble is the bit of extra work it takes to install DBD::mysql (need to make sure you set the ENV var to point to the mysql_config utility if that is not in $PATH).

I know Catalyst does have quite a few dependencies, but I round tripped installing Catalyst and Task::Catalyst many times as part of the testing I did prior to the latest release, so I know that it can work (abet a bit time consuming to run all the tests for all the dependencies). If you follow the generally promoted process:

1) Setup a local Perl with perlbrew and a modern Perl.
2) Create and activate a local::lib where you dependencies will go (in other words never install stuff into the perlbrew managed Perl)
3) use cpanm

You should have little trouble. Again, I'd love to see the logs. I know the temptation to use some sort of port system here is quite high, but my experience is that this is not a great path for developers and the port/deb/rpm etc. almost always get something wrong that causes you pain in the end.

Just my experience. Hope this helps.

John

>________________________________

peter at dragonstaff

Sep 8, 2011, 6:40 PM

Re: Can the latest Catalyst version from CPAN be installed under Windows? [In reply to]

On 9 September 2011 02:21, John Napiorkowski <jjn1056 [at] yahoo> wrote:

> I'd really love to see some logs of this problem. I am on MacOSX and don't
> have problems of this magnitude when installing Catalyst. However I don't
> use the built in system Perl, I use Perlbrew + local::lib + cpanm as my
> primary build toolchain. If I use a modern Perl (5.12+) the only things
> that give me trouble is the bit of extra work it takes to install DBD::mysql
> (need to make sure you set the ENV var to point to the mysql_config utility
> if that is not in $PATH).
>
> I know Catalyst does have quite a few dependencies, but I round tripped
> installing Catalyst and Task::Catalyst many times as part of the testing I
> did prior to the latest release, so I know that it can work (abet a bit time
> consuming to run all the tests for all the dependencies). If you follow the
> generally promoted process:
>
> 1) Setup a local Perl with perlbrew and a modern Perl.
> 2) Create and activate a local::lib where you dependencies will go (in
> other words never install stuff into the perlbrew managed Perl)
> 3) use cpanm
>
> You should have little trouble. Again, I'd love to see the logs. I know
> the temptation to use some sort of port system here is quite high, but my
> experience is that this is not a great path for developers and the
> port/deb/rpm etc. almost always get something wrong that causes you pain in
> the end.
>
> Just my experience. Hope this helps.
>
> John
>
> Indeed. I'd like to second this post.
I wrote
http://blogs.perl.org/users/peter_edwards/2011/06/installing-local-perl-and-libraries-on-mac-book-snow-leopard.html
and
Brian D. Foy went "but you can compile perl with flags".
Yes, until you try and run a live/staging/test/dev envs for multiple apps
(with different CPAN reqs) on one box, shared with others, and then you
realise it's not flexible enough.

-Peter

romkey at romkey

Sep 8, 2011, 7:31 PM

Re: Can the latest Catalyst version from CPAN be installed under Windows? [In reply to]

I just did a clean reinstall when I upgraded to Lion... I used MacPorts Perl (5.12.3) and loaded Catalyst through CPAN without any major issues that I recall.
- john romkey
http://www.romkey.com/

On Sep 8, 2011, at 9:21 PM, John Napiorkowski wrote:

> I'd really love to see some logs of this problem. I am on MacOSX and don't have problems of this magnitude when installing Catalyst. However I don't use the built in system Perl, I use Perlbrew + local::lib + cpanm as my primary build toolchain. If I use a modern Perl (5.12+) the only things that give me trouble is the bit of extra work it takes to install DBD::mysql (need to make sure you set the ENV var to point to the mysql_config utility if that is not in $PATH).
>
> I know Catalyst does have quite a few dependencies, but I round tripped installing Catalyst and Task::Catalyst many times as part of the testing I did prior to the latest release, so I know that it can work (abet a bit time consuming to run all the tests for all the dependencies). If you follow the generally promoted process:
>
> 1) Setup a local Perl with perlbrew and a modern Perl.
> 2) Create and activate a local::lib where you dependencies will go (in other words never install stuff into the perlbrew managed Perl)
> 3) use cpanm
>
> You should have little trouble. Again, I'd love to see the logs. I know the temptation to use some sort of port system here is quite high, but my experience is that this is not a great path for developers and the port/deb/rpm etc. almost always get something wrong that causes you pain in the end.
>
> Just my experience. Hope this helps.
>
> John

romkey at romkey

Sep 8, 2011, 7:31 PM

Re: Can the latest Catalyst version from CPAN be installed under Windows? [In reply to]

I just did a clean reinstall when I upgraded to Lion... I used MacPorts Perl (5.12.3) and loaded Catalyst through CPAN without any major issues that I recall.
- john romkey
http://www.romkey.com/

On Sep 8, 2011, at 9:21 PM, John Napiorkowski wrote:

> I'd really love to see some logs of this problem. I am on MacOSX and don't have problems of this magnitude when installing Catalyst. However I don't use the built in system Perl, I use Perlbrew + local::lib + cpanm as my primary build toolchain. If I use a modern Perl (5.12+) the only things that give me trouble is the bit of extra work it takes to install DBD::mysql (need to make sure you set the ENV var to point to the mysql_config utility if that is not in $PATH).
>
> I know Catalyst does have quite a few dependencies, but I round tripped installing Catalyst and Task::Catalyst many times as part of the testing I did prior to the latest release, so I know that it can work (abet a bit time consuming to run all the tests for all the dependencies). If you follow the generally promoted process:
>
> 1) Setup a local Perl with perlbrew and a modern Perl.
> 2) Create and activate a local::lib where you dependencies will go (in other words never install stuff into the perlbrew managed Perl)
> 3) use cpanm
>
> You should have little trouble. Again, I'd love to see the logs. I know the temptation to use some sort of port system here is quite high, but my experience is that this is not a great path for developers and the port/deb/rpm etc. almost always get something wrong that causes you pain in the end.
>
> Just my experience. Hope this helps.
>
> John

garrison at zeta

Sep 8, 2011, 10:09 PM

Re: Can the latest Catalyst version from CPAN be installed under Windows? [In reply to]

Good afternoon,

On 8/09/11 at 6:21 PM -0700, John Napiorkowski
<jjn1056 [at] yahoo> wrote:

>2) Create and activate a local::lib where you dependencies will
>go (in other words never install stuff into the perlbrew
>managed Perl)

What is the reason for not installing into perlbrew managed
libs? I've got perlbrew setup almost exclusively for Catalyst,
so why do the extra modules need to be installed elsewhere?

Charlie

--
Ꮚ Charlie Garrison ♊ <garrison [at] zeta>

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt

mdietrich at cpan

Sep 9, 2011, 3:55 AM

Re: Can the latest Catalyst version from CPAN be installed under Windows? [In reply to]

Erm... Anyone saw the subject line of this thread? It's about Windows ... not Mac OS X.

Sorry Octavian, I don't have any clue of what's going on there on Windows.

Matthias

--
rainboxx Software Engineering
Matthias Dietrich

rainboxx Matthias Dietrich | Phone: +49 7141 / 2 39 14 71
Knigsallee 43 | Fax : +49 3222 / 1 47 63 00
71638 Ludwigsburg | Mobil: +49 151 / 50 60 78 64

CPAN: http://search.cpan.org/~mdietrich/
XING: https://www.xing.com/profile/Matthias_Dietrich18
GULP: http://www.gulp.de/profil/rainboxx.html

--
rainboxx Software Engineering
Matthias Dietrich

rainboxx Matthias Dietrich | Phone: +49 7141 / 2 39 14 71
Knigsallee 43 | Fax : +49 3222 / 1 47 63 00
71638 Ludwigsburg | Mobil: +49 151 / 50 60 78 64
| WWW : http://www.rainboxx.de

CPAN: http://search.cpan.org/~mdietrich/
XING: https://www.xing.com/profile/Matthias_Dietrich18
GULP: http://www.gulp.de/profil/rainboxx.html

jjn1056 at yahoo

Sep 9, 2011, 6:00 AM

Re: Can the latest Catalyst version from CPAN be installed under Windows? [In reply to]

>________________________________

If you install all your cpan dependencies into your perlbrew managed perl you'd have to reinstall perlbrew from scratch if you want to truly test your build system.  For me, I like to test my build by building everything from the start and I can do that by either just deleting my local lib directory or creating a new local lib.  Also if you work on multiple projects, or support several different cpan modules, I find it prudent to have one local lib per project  for everything to be cleanly separated.  I realize that leads to a lot of possible duplication, but hard drive space is pretty cheap nowadays.

I also tend to test my cpan dists into a clean, new local lib before pushing to cpan, just to make sure I didn't mess anything up.

I just find separating the two to be clean and productive, but your results may vary.  I install Perl with perlbrew and then try to forget about it, keep it pristine.  I just suggest it if you are having trouble because my method is a way that I know works well.  Following this has lead me to be able to install my applications very successfully.  If you change the process I can be certain it will work as well, although it might.

>Charlie
>
>--    Ꮚ Charlie Garrison ♊ <garrison [at] zeta>
>
>O< ascii ribbon campaign - stop html mail - www.asciiribbon.org
>〠  http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt

jjn1056 at yahoo

Sep 9, 2011, 6:02 AM

Re: Can the latest Catalyst version from CPAN be installed under Windows? [In reply to]

> Erm... Anyone saw the subject line of this thread? It's about Windows ...
> not MacOS X.

LOL, I guess I just noticed stuff about macports etc and just responding to that. Sorry, I also can't say much about windows expect you can always using a virtual machine :)

John

> Sorry Octavian, I don't have any clue of what's going on there on
> Windows.
>
> Matthias
>
> --
> rainboxx Software Engineering
> Matthias Dietrich
>
> rainboxx Matthias Dietrich | Phone: +49 7141 / 2 39 14 71
> Knigsallee 43 | Fax : +49 3222 / 1 47 63 00
> 71638 Ludwigsburg | Mobil: +49 151 / 50 60 78 64
> | WWW : http://www.rainboxx.de
>
> CPAN: http://search.cpan.org/~mdietrich/
> XING: https://www.xing.com/profile/Matthias_Dietrich18
> GULP: http://www.gulp.de/profil/rainboxx.html
>

> --
> rainboxx Software Engineering
> Matthias Dietrich
>
> rainboxx Matthias Dietrich | Phone: +49 7141 / 2 39 14 71
> Knigsallee 43 | Fax : +49 3222 / 1 47 63 00
> 71638 Ludwigsburg | Mobil: +49 151 / 50 60 78 64
> | WWW : http://www.rainboxx.de
>
> CPAN: http://search.cpan.org/~mdietrich/
> XING: https://www.xing.com/profile/Matthias_Dietrich18
> GULP: http://www.gulp.de/profil/rainboxx.html

jjn1056 at yahoo

Sep 9, 2011, 6:03 AM

Re: Can the latest Catalyst version from CPAN be installed under Windows? [In reply to]

>________________________________

I'm glad that worked for you then, although I'd still recommend local lib to manage your post installed Perl dependencies. Having all your deps in a global area does often cause trouble. Good luck!

John

>- john romkey
>http://www.romkey.com/
>

>On Sep 8, 2011, at 9:21 PM, John Napiorkowski wrote:
>
>I'd really love to see some logs of this problem. I am on MacOSX and don't have problems of this magnitude when installing Catalyst. However I don't use the built in system Perl, I use Perlbrew + local::lib + cpanm as my primary build toolchain. If I use a modern Perl (5.12+) the only things that give me trouble is the bit of extra work it takes to install DBD::mysql (need to make sure you set the ENV var to point to the mysql_config utility if that is not in $PATH).
>>

>>I know Catalyst does have quite a few dependencies, but I round tripped installing Catalyst and Task::Catalyst many times as part of the testing I did prior to the latest release, so I know that it can work (abet a bit time consuming to run all the tests for all the dependencies). If you follow the generally promoted process:
>>

>>1) Setup a local Perl with perlbrew and a modern Perl.
>>2) Create and activate a local::lib where you dependencies will go (in other words never install stuff into the perlbrew managed Perl)
>>3) use cpanm
>>

>>You should have little trouble. Again, I'd love to see the logs. I know the temptation to use some sort of port system here is quite high, but my experience is that this is not a great path for developers and the port/deb/rpm etc. almost always get something wrong that causes you pain in the end.
>>

>>Just my experience. Hope this helps.
>>

>>John
>>

>>>________________________________

garrison at zeta

Sep 9, 2011, 6:39 PM

Re: Can the latest Catalyst version from CPAN be installed under Windows? [In reply to]

Good morning,

On 9/09/11 at 6:00 AM -0700, John Napiorkowski
<jjn1056 [at] yahoo> wrote:

>If you install all your cpan dependencies into your perlbrew
>managed perl you'd have to reinstall perlbrew from scratch if
>you want to truly test your build system.  For me, I like to
>test my build by building everything from the start and I can
>do that by either just deleting my local lib directory or
>creating a new local lib.  Also if you work on multiple
>projects, or support several different cpan modules, I find it
>prudent to have one local lib per project  for everything to
>be cleanly separated.  I realize that leads to a lot of
>possible duplication, but hard drive space is pretty cheap nowadays.

Thanks for all that. I can understand all those benefits but not
sure they apply in my case. I'm treating perlbrew as a
heavy-handed local::lib and since it's working for me I'll leave
it as-is.

Thanks again,
Charlie