Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Catalyst: Dev

ANNOUNCE: Catalyst Monthly

 

 

Catalyst dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


diment at gmail

Feb 29, 2012, 1:25 AM

Post #1 of 3 (763 views)
Permalink
ANNOUNCE: Catalyst Monthly

Greetings,

You may recall that the Catalyst Advent calendar was retired at the end of 2011 in favour of a series of monthly articles. We missed January, for various reasons, one of which was that we needed to decide what infrastructure we were going to use to publish this stuff.

Eventually we realised that CPAN is already a perfectly good publishing mechanism. So here it is - the first of the Catalyst monthly articles:

https://metacpan.org/module/ZARQUON/Catalyst-Manual-Monthly-0.01/lib/Catalyst/Manual/Monthly/2012/February/TestDBICWithBellsOn.pod (or http://xrl.us/bmwfzz if your email client doesn't like long links).

In due course (and with suitable volunteer labour *ahem*) we expect to have an RSS feed and aggregator to bring all of the links together in a slightly more appropriate way for docs than search.cpan.org or metacpan.org.

And if you want to write an article for us, get on IRC and suggest away. We're not expecting anything more substantial than the old advent calendar articles.
_______________________________________________
Catalyst-dev mailing list
Catalyst-dev [at] lists
http://lists.scsys.co.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/catalyst-dev


drew at drewtaylor

Feb 29, 2012, 4:23 AM

Post #2 of 3 (713 views)
Permalink
Re: ANNOUNCE: Catalyst Monthly [In reply to]

Thank you for putting this out! At work I'm dealing with a custom ORM
for legacy code and limited use of DBIC where possible in newer code,
which system of course has very, very few tests. I'm trying to improve
the meagre test suite, but my efforts so far for manually creating
fixture data are too brittle for a long term solution.

And of course new $job uses Mysql, where old $job used Postgresql.
I've looked briefly at things like MySQL::Sandbox [1] and
Test::DataLoader::MySQL [2] but I'm not quite sure what the best
practice is with Mysql. Any tips or future articles on this topic
would certainly be very useful to me. Being able to quickly bring up a
database, which can be wiped and populated at will, for a specific .t
file would be all kinds of useful.

Thanks,
Drew

[1] https://metacpan.org/module/MySQL::Sandbox
[2] https://metacpan.org/module/Test::DataLoader::MySQL

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 8:25 PM, Kieren Diment <diment [at] gmail> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> You may recall that the Catalyst Advent calendar was retired at the end of 2011 in favour of a series of monthly articles.  We missed January, for various reasons, one of which was that we needed to decide what infrastructure we were going to use to publish this stuff.
>
> Eventually we realised that CPAN is already a perfectly good publishing mechanism.  So here it is - the first of the Catalyst monthly articles:
>
> https://metacpan.org/module/ZARQUON/Catalyst-Manual-Monthly-0.01/lib/Catalyst/Manual/Monthly/2012/February/TestDBICWithBellsOn.pod (or http://xrl.us/bmwfzz if your email client doesn't like long links).
>
> In due course (and with suitable volunteer labour *ahem*) we expect to have an RSS feed and aggregator to bring all of the links together in a slightly more appropriate way for docs than search.cpan.org or metacpan.org.
>
> And if you want to write an article for us, get on IRC and suggest away.  We're not expecting anything more substantial than the old advent calendar articles.
> _______________________________________________
> Catalyst-dev mailing list
> Catalyst-dev [at] lists
> http://lists.scsys.co.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/catalyst-dev

_______________________________________________
Catalyst-dev mailing list
Catalyst-dev [at] lists
http://lists.scsys.co.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/catalyst-dev


diment at gmail

Feb 29, 2012, 4:36 AM

Post #3 of 3 (720 views)
Permalink
Re: ANNOUNCE: Catalyst Monthly [In reply to]

On 29/02/2012, at 11:23 PM, Drew Taylor wrote:

> Thank you for putting this out! At work I'm dealing with a custom ORM
> for legacy code and limited use of DBIC where possible in newer code,
> which system of course has very, very few tests. I'm trying to improve
> the meagre test suite, but my efforts so far for manually creating
> fixture data are too brittle for a long term solution.
>
> And of course new $job uses Mysql, where old $job used Postgresql.
> I've looked briefly at things like MySQL::Sandbox [1] and
> Test::DataLoader::MySQL [2] but I'm not quite sure what the best
> practice is with Mysql. Any tips or future articles on this topic
> would certainly be very useful to me. Being able to quickly bring up a
> database, which can be wiped and populated at will, for a specific .t
> file would be all kinds of useful.
>
> Thanks,
> Drew
>

I guess to follow the technique Eden and I worked out, you'll be looking at taking the sql injection trait we wrote, and ripping the guts out to deal with mysqld instead of postgres.

For mysql everything should be pretty much the same except for the commands to run mysqld in place of $psql_cmd in our Test::DBIx::Class::SchemaManager::Trait::DeploySQL.


> [1] https://metacpan.org/module/MySQL::Sandbox
> [2] https://metacpan.org/module/Test::DataLoader::MySQL
>
> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 8:25 PM, Kieren Diment <diment [at] gmail> wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> You may recall that the Catalyst Advent calendar was retired at the end of 2011 in favour of a series of monthly articles. We missed January, for various reasons, one of which was that we needed to decide what infrastructure we were going to use to publish this stuff.
>>
>> Eventually we realised that CPAN is already a perfectly good publishing mechanism. So here it is - the first of the Catalyst monthly articles:
>>
>> https://metacpan.org/module/ZARQUON/Catalyst-Manual-Monthly-0.01/lib/Catalyst/Manual/Monthly/2012/February/TestDBICWithBellsOn.pod (or http://xrl.us/bmwfzz if your email client doesn't like long links).
>>
>> In due course (and with suitable volunteer labour *ahem*) we expect to have an RSS feed and aggregator to bring all of the links together in a slightly more appropriate way for docs than search.cpan.org or metacpan.org.
>>
>> And if you want to write an article for us, get on IRC and suggest away. We're not expecting anything more substantial than the old advent calendar articles.
>> _______________________________________________
>> Catalyst-dev mailing list
>> Catalyst-dev [at] lists
>> http://lists.scsys.co.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/catalyst-dev
>
> _______________________________________________
> Catalyst-dev mailing list
> Catalyst-dev [at] lists
> http://lists.scsys.co.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/catalyst-dev


_______________________________________________
Catalyst-dev mailing list
Catalyst-dev [at] lists
http://lists.scsys.co.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/catalyst-dev

Catalyst dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.