Mailing List Archive: Bricolage: users

Changing URI Case

Bricolage users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

michael.fletcher at cbs

Jul 22, 2011, 7:23 AM

Changing URI Case

Hello,

The main HTML output channel we use for articles was created with the default setting of URI Case: Mixed. We have since learned that SEO can be improved by using all lowercase characters in your URL. However, when we tried changing the URI Case to Lowercase, we found that it caused some serious problems. All references in our main blog to existing articles were output NOT as their original Mixed case, but all lowercase - which effectively broke all of our links to existing articles. (Our server is a Unix server, so case matters).

Is there any way to switch to lowercase URIs going forward - for new articles only? It seems that a call to get_uri is actually building the URI on the fly and not calling it from the story_uri table.

Thank you,
Michael Fletcher
ET / The Insider / CBS

bret at pectopah

Jul 22, 2011, 8:09 AM

Re: Changing URI Case [In reply to]

Hi Michael,

You could make a brand new "HTML 2" OC, and make it the primary OC in
your article type definitions. Leave the old OC there, but not enabled,
so it won't be present in new articles. Make the new OC include
templates from the old one.

Then set the old OC URI case to mixed, and the new one to lower, and
you'll have only lowercase URIs going forward, but the old ones will
stay as they are.

Hope this helps,

Bret

--
Bret Dawson
Producer

adam at RFXTechnologies

Jul 22, 2011, 10:08 AM

RE: Changing URI Case [In reply to]

Alternatively....

Since you are on a Unix server, I am going to assume you are using an Apache web server. If that is the case, you can add " RewriteMap lowercase int:tolower" to your config to convert all requests on the server to lowercase, and then you can republish your whole site through the Bric soap interface.

The first step is to keep existing links out there in the world from breaking when you perform the second step, which should update all the links on your site to use the new URI format.

--
Bret Dawson
Producer

Bricolage users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded