Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Bricolage: users

publishing periodicals

 

 

Bricolage users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


zdravko.balorda at siix

Jun 20, 2011, 4:49 AM

Post #1 of 13 (1332 views)
Permalink
publishing periodicals

Hi,
I believe there are some applications of Bricolage
on publishing periodicals. I wonder how to handle
volumes and issues. Are there any examples of good
practices?

Thanks, Zdravko


dawn at dawnthots

Jun 22, 2011, 8:40 AM

Post #2 of 13 (1271 views)
Permalink
Re: publishing periodicals [In reply to]

Hi Zdravko

I made http://reviewcanada.ca - and it groups content (Articles) by Magazine Issue stories as well as Online Only content - and then subcategorizes content by topic (reviews, essays, poetry). Is this what you are looking for?

Dawn

On 2011-06-20, at 7:49 AM, Zdravko Balorda wrote:

>
> Hi,
> I believe there are some applications of Bricolage
> on publishing periodicals. I wonder how to handle
> volumes and issues. Are there any examples of good
> practices?
>
> Thanks, Zdravko
>


david at kineticode

Jun 22, 2011, 9:19 AM

Post #3 of 13 (1272 views)
Permalink
Re: publishing periodicals [In reply to]

On Jun 22, 2011, at 8:40 AM, Dawn Buie wrote:

> I made http://reviewcanada.ca - and it groups content (Articles) by Magazine Issue stories as well as Online Only content - and then subcategorizes content by topic (reviews, essays, poetry). Is this what you are looking for?

Nice. Want to add that to the list of sites powered by Bricolage?

https://github.com/bricoleurs/bricolage/wiki/a-list-of-bricolage-sites-and-sightings

Lot of Canada there. Hrmů

Best,

David


dawn at dawnthots

Jun 22, 2011, 9:26 AM

Post #4 of 13 (1265 views)
Permalink
Re: publishing periodicals [In reply to]

I've been meaning to add it for a long time!

Dawn

On 2011-06-22, at 12:19 PM, David E. Wheeler wrote:

> On Jun 22, 2011, at 8:40 AM, Dawn Buie wrote:
>
>> I made http://reviewcanada.ca - and it groups content (Articles) by Magazine Issue stories as well as Online Only content - and then subcategorizes content by topic (reviews, essays, poetry). Is this what you are looking for?
>
> Nice. Want to add that to the list of sites powered by Bricolage?
>
> https://github.com/bricoleurs/bricolage/wiki/a-list-of-bricolage-sites-and-sightings
>
> Lot of Canada there. Hrmů
>
> Best,
>
> David


phillip at communitybandwidth

Jun 22, 2011, 6:41 PM

Post #5 of 13 (1265 views)
Permalink
Re: publishing periodicals [In reply to]

+1 :)

Canada for the win.


On 2011-06-22, at 12:26 PM, Dawn Buie wrote:

> I've been meaning to add it for a long time!
>
> Dawn
>
> On 2011-06-22, at 12:19 PM, David E. Wheeler wrote:
>
>> On Jun 22, 2011, at 8:40 AM, Dawn Buie wrote:
>>
>>> I made http://reviewcanada.ca - and it groups content (Articles) by Magazine Issue stories as well as Online Only content - and then subcategorizes content by topic (reviews, essays, poetry). Is this what you are looking for?
>>
>> Nice. Want to add that to the list of sites powered by Bricolage?
>>
>> https://github.com/bricoleurs/bricolage/wiki/a-list-of-bricolage-sites-and-sightings
>>
>> Lot of Canada there. Hrmů
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> David
>


zdravko.balorda at siix

Jun 23, 2011, 2:06 AM

Post #6 of 13 (1261 views)
Permalink
Re: publishing periodicals [In reply to]

Hi,
yes, indeed. Could you describe it a bit more in detail.
Bricolage keeps things in one large "book". Perhaps it's ok,
for the web publication, too. That's what I'm asking. Where do
you keep track on paper/news Volume/Issue data?

Zdravko

Dawn Buie wrote:
> Hi Zdravko
>
> I made http://reviewcanada.ca - and it groups content (Articles) by Magazine Issue stories as well as Online Only content - and then subcategorizes content by topic (reviews, essays, poetry). Is this what you are looking for?
>
> Dawn
>
> On 2011-06-20, at 7:49 AM, Zdravko Balorda wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I believe there are some applications of Bricolage
>> on publishing periodicals. I wonder how to handle
>> volumes and issues. Are there any examples of good
>> practices?
>>
>> Thanks, Zdravko
>>
>
>


dawn at dawnthots

Jun 23, 2011, 4:55 AM

Post #7 of 13 (1263 views)
Permalink
Re: publishing periodicals [In reply to]

Well The Magazine Issue cover story has

many related Article stories
a related home cover image (only shows up on the home page)
a related Cover image (large and thumb size)

The most recent Magazine Issue story is shown on the home page.

The Magazine Issue cover output channel shows year and month http://reviewcanada.ca/magazine/2011/06/ . We decided not to use volume / issue data because no one cares about that when reading on the web. You could make a field for it in the Magazine Issue element I guess. Or set up your output channel url to show /vol/issue/ numbers.

Is that helpful?

Dawn

On 2011-06-23, at 5:06 AM, Zdravko Balorda wrote:

>
> Hi,
> yes, indeed. Could you describe it a bit more in detail.
> Bricolage keeps things in one large "book". Perhaps it's ok,
> for the web publication, too. That's what I'm asking. Where do
> you keep track on paper/news Volume/Issue data?
>
> Zdravko
>
> Dawn Buie wrote:
>> Hi Zdravko
>> I made http://reviewcanada.ca - and it groups content (Articles) by Magazine Issue stories as well as Online Only content - and then subcategorizes content by topic (reviews, essays, poetry). Is this what you are looking for?
>> Dawn
>> On 2011-06-20, at 7:49 AM, Zdravko Balorda wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I believe there are some applications of Bricolage
>>> on publishing periodicals. I wonder how to handle
>>> volumes and issues. Are there any examples of good
>>> practices?
>>>
>>> Thanks, Zdravko
>>>
>


zdravko.balorda at siix

Jun 23, 2011, 10:30 PM

Post #8 of 13 (1256 views)
Permalink
Re: publishing periodicals [In reply to]

Hi,
yes, you gave me a good starting point. You have segmented issues
by dates, so every issue has it's own cover page with current stories.
I don't use dates in OC so I forgot all about it. :)

Dawn Buie wrote:
> Or set up your output channel url to show /vol/issue/ numbers.
>

I don't know how to put there any other number except %d, %m, %y, in OC.
My first thought was to use subdomains for vol/issue in front: vol.issue.pub.com/...
and make a site copy every time an issue is published. But using many
cover pages is more clever.


> Is that helpful?

Thanks, Zdravko


dawn at dawnthots

Jun 24, 2011, 5:49 AM

Post #9 of 13 (1253 views)
Permalink
Re: publishing periodicals [In reply to]

Let me know if you want some template code to demo how to do and relate things.

Dawn

On 2011-06-24, at 1:30 AM, Zdravko Balorda wrote:

>
> Hi,
> yes, you gave me a good starting point. You have segmented issues
> by dates, so every issue has it's own cover page with current stories.
> I don't use dates in OC so I forgot all about it. :)
>
> Dawn Buie wrote:
>> Or set up your output channel url to show /vol/issue/ numbers.
>
> I don't know how to put there any other number except %d, %m, %y, in OC.
> My first thought was to use subdomains for vol/issue in front: vol.issue.pub.com/...
> and make a site copy every time an issue is published. But using many
> cover pages is more clever.
>
>
>> Is that helpful?
>
> Thanks, Zdravko
>


dawn at dawnthots

Jun 24, 2011, 5:56 AM

Post #10 of 13 (1255 views)
Permalink
Re: publishing periodicals [In reply to]

>
>
> On 2011-06-24, at 1:30 AM, Zdravko Balorda wrote:
>
>>
>> Hi,
>> yes, you gave me a good starting point. You have segmented issues
>> by dates, so every issue has it's own cover page with current stories.
>> I don't use dates in OC so I forgot all about it. :)
>>
>> Dawn Buie wrote:
>>> Or set up your output channel url to show /vol/issue/ numbers.

Actually ... I don't know how I'd do that either! Maybe there's something fancy you could do with the API code to make the burner OC change the URL based on some variables in the story? Maybe David knows?
>>
>> I don't know how to put there any other number except %d, %m, %y, in OC.
>> My first thought was to use subdomains for vol/issue in front: vol.issue.pub.com/...
>> and make a site copy every time an issue is published. But using many
>> cover pages is more clever.
>>
>


dawn at dawnthots

Jun 24, 2011, 6:09 AM

Post #11 of 13 (1254 views)
Permalink
Re: publishing periodicals [In reply to]

>>>
>>>
>>> Dawn Buie wrote:
>>>> Or set up your output channel url to show /vol/issue/ numbers.
>
> Actually ... I don't know how I'd do that either! Maybe there's something fancy you could do with the API code to make the burner OC change the URL based on some variables in the story? Maybe David knows?

Maybe you could use $story->set_slug() when publishing to make it use volume data.

Dawn

>>>
>>> I don't know how to put there any other number except %d, %m, %y, in OC.
>>> My first thought was to use subdomains for vol/issue in front: vol.issue.pub.com/...
>>> and make a site copy every time an issue is published. But using many
>>> cover pages is more clever.
>>>
>>
>


zdravko.balorda at siix

Jun 27, 2011, 4:25 AM

Post #12 of 13 (1247 views)
Permalink
Re: publishing periodicals [In reply to]

Dawn,
thanks. I haven't got that far yet. I'm still at concept level. I've always had one
cover page. Having more requires some defined context to distinguish which stories
apply to each page. Chronologically setting two dates, or a date and time period is
simple, then perhaps author context comes handy, too. And perhaps other. And maybe
the most difficult issue would be navigating through all these (possibly quite many)
cover pages.
So, a hint or two is invaluable.
Zdravko

Dawn Buie wrote:
> Let me know if you want some template code to demo how to do and relate things.
>
> Dawn
>
> On 2011-06-24, at 1:30 AM, Zdravko Balorda wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> yes, you gave me a good starting point. You have segmented issues
>> by dates, so every issue has it's own cover page with current stories.
>> I don't use dates in OC so I forgot all about it. :)
>>
>> Dawn Buie wrote:
>>> Or set up your output channel url to show /vol/issue/ numbers.
>> I don't know how to put there any other number except %d, %m, %y, in OC.
>> My first thought was to use subdomains for vol/issue in front: vol.issue.pub.com/...
>> and make a site copy every time an issue is published. But using many
>> cover pages is more clever.
>>
>>
>>> Is that helpful?
>> Thanks, Zdravko
>>
>
>


dawn at dawnthots

Jun 27, 2011, 10:52 AM

Post #13 of 13 (1247 views)
Permalink
Re: publishing periodicals [In reply to]

On 2011-06-27, at 7:25 AM, Zdravko Balorda wrote:

> Dawn,
> thanks. I haven't got that far yet. I'm still at concept level. I've always had one
> cover page. Having more requires some defined context to distinguish which stories
> apply to each page. Chronologically setting two dates, or a date and time period is
> simple, then perhaps author context comes handy, too. And perhaps other. And maybe
> the most difficult issue would be navigating through all these (possibly quite many)
> cover pages.

Well you could do anything to navigate all these cover for issues (I assume) -

first load an array with all the cover story objects (sort by cover date perhaps)

my @issues = $story->list({
element_key_name => 'cover_story',
# category_id => $category_id,
unexpired => 1,
publish_status => 1,
Order => 'cover_date',
OrderDirection => 'DESC',
});

then output this lists as you like, a story with thumb nails of their cover images?, a drop down options list, ect.

You can see what I did for the LRC http://reviewcanada.ca/magazine/archive/

These are actually broken in to sub-arrays - sorted by year.

Dawn




> So, a hint or two is invaluable.
> Zdravko
>
> Dawn Buie wrote:
>> Let me know if you want some template code to demo how to do and relate things.
>> Dawn
>> On 2011-06-24, at 1:30 AM, Zdravko Balorda wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> yes, you gave me a good starting point. You have segmented issues
>>> by dates, so every issue has it's own cover page with current stories.
>>> I don't use dates in OC so I forgot all about it. :)
>>>
>>> Dawn Buie wrote:
>>>> Or set up your output channel url to show /vol/issue/ numbers.
>>> I don't know how to put there any other number except %d, %m, %y, in OC.
>>> My first thought was to use subdomains for vol/issue in front: vol.issue.pub.com/...
>>> and make a site copy every time an issue is published. But using many
>>> cover pages is more clever.
>>>
>>>
>>>> Is that helpful?
>>> Thanks, Zdravko
>>>
>

Bricolage users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.