Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Bricolage: users

Thumbnails and find_or_create_alternate()

 

 

Bricolage users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


bret at pectopah

Jun 14, 2011, 7:24 AM

Post #1 of 12 (2204 views)
Permalink
Thumbnails and find_or_create_alternate()

Hi everybody,

I'm about to launch a site upgraded to 2.0.1 from the 1.10 series, and
I'm adjusting a bunch of templates to use the new
find_or_create_alternate() method.

Making the images works great; they land on the publish desk in the
media workflow and show up fine on web pages.

What I'm curious about is getting those images published. In my
template, immediately after the call to find_or_create_another(), I do
this ($back is the returned thumbnail, and $pic is the large image):

$burner->publish_another($back, $pic->get_cover_date, 1) unless
$back->get_publish_status;

I have the third true argument in the call to publish_another() because
I want the thumbnail to be published when the main story is previewed.
This sort of thing worked in 1.10, but it doesn't seem to work in 2.0.1.
Am I missing something?

The thumbnail does get published when the story does, but it doesn't get
returned to the library. Instead it stays on the publish desk in the
media workflow, with a nice green "P" marking it published. Is anybody
else seeing this?


Thanks so much,

Bret



--
Bret Dawson
Producer
Pectopah Productions Inc.
(416) 895-7635
bret [at] pectopah
www.pectopah.com


david at kineticode

Jun 14, 2011, 8:17 PM

Post #2 of 12 (2114 views)
Permalink
Re: Thumbnails and find_or_create_alternate() [In reply to]

On Jun 14, 2011, at 7:24 AM, Bret Dawson wrote:

> $burner->publish_another($back, $pic->get_cover_date, 1) unless
> $back->get_publish_status;
>
> I have the third true argument in the call to publish_another() because
> I want the thumbnail to be published when the main story is previewed.
> This sort of thing worked in 1.10, but it doesn't seem to work in 2.0.1.
> Am I missing something?

I think you want blaze_another(), no?

> The thumbnail does get published when the story does, but it doesn't get
> returned to the library. Instead it stays on the publish desk in the
> media workflow, with a nice green "P" marking it published. Is anybody
> else seeing this?

That sounds like a bug. :-(

David


david at kineticode

Jun 14, 2011, 8:17 PM

Post #3 of 12 (2110 views)
Permalink
Re: Thumbnails and find_or_create_alternate() [In reply to]

On Jun 14, 2011, at 7:24 AM, Bret Dawson wrote:

> $burner->publish_another($back, $pic->get_cover_date, 1) unless
> $back->get_publish_status;
>
> I have the third true argument in the call to publish_another() because
> I want the thumbnail to be published when the main story is previewed.
> This sort of thing worked in 1.10, but it doesn't seem to work in 2.0.1.
> Am I missing something?

I think you want blaze_another(), no?

> The thumbnail does get published when the story does, but it doesn't get
> returned to the library. Instead it stays on the publish desk in the
> media workflow, with a nice green "P" marking it published. Is anybody
> else seeing this?

That sounds like a bug. :-(

David


zdravko.balorda at siix

Jun 21, 2011, 2:59 AM

Post #4 of 12 (2094 views)
Permalink
Re: Thumbnails and find_or_create_alternate() [In reply to]

David E. Wheeler wrote:
>> y does, but it doesn't get
>> returned to the library. Instead it stays on the publish desk in the
>> media workflow, with a nice green "P" marking it published. Is anybody
>> else seeing this?
>
> That sounds like a bug. :-(

Is it? It is said that publish_another leaves the asset in the workflow.
Any method to remove it specifically?

Zdravko


david at kineticode

Jun 21, 2011, 9:47 AM

Post #5 of 12 (2105 views)
Permalink
Re: Thumbnails and find_or_create_alternate() [In reply to]

On Jun 21, 2011, at 2:59 AM, Zdravko Balorda wrote:

>> That sounds like a bug. :-(
>
> Is it? It is said that publish_another leaves the asset in the workflow.
> Any method to remove it specifically?

I *think* that it will publish the previously-published version, in which case the current version would stay in workflow. But if it hasn't been published before, it should be removed from workflow. I think.

David


bret at pectopah

Jun 21, 2011, 10:06 AM

Post #6 of 12 (2091 views)
Permalink
Re: Thumbnails and find_or_create_alternate() [In reply to]

Hi everybody,

I'm only 40% confident in this, but I think the remove-it-from-workflow
functionality has been completely removed from Bric::Util::Burner and
relies on either the workflow or the publish callback. See here:

https://github.com/bricoleurs/bricolage/commit/4bdbf7d0018b11f162d9ac84430885caa3fdd900

Does this suggest a change to publish_another(), or should the template
itself take care of getting the asset out of workflow?


Thanks,

Bret


On Tue, 2011-06-21 at 09:47 -0700, David E. Wheeler wrote:
> On Jun 21, 2011, at 2:59 AM, Zdravko Balorda wrote:
>
> >> That sounds like a bug. :-(
> >
> > Is it? It is said that publish_another leaves the asset in the workflow.
> > Any method to remove it specifically?
>
> I *think* that it will publish the previously-published version, in which case the current version would stay in workflow. But if it hasn't been published before, it should be removed from workflow. I think.
>
> David
>
>

--
Bret Dawson
Producer
Pectopah Productions Inc.
(416) 895-7635
bret [at] pectopah
www.pectopah.com


david at kineticode

Jun 21, 2011, 10:19 AM

Post #7 of 12 (2093 views)
Permalink
Re: Thumbnails and find_or_create_alternate() [In reply to]

On Jun 21, 2011, at 10:06 AM, Bret Dawson wrote:

> https://github.com/bricoleurs/bricolage/commit/4bdbf7d0018b11f162d9ac84430885caa3fdd900
>
> Does this suggest a change to publish_another(), or should the template
> itself take care of getting the asset out of workflow?

Yes.

Best,

DAvid


bret at pectopah

Jun 21, 2011, 10:24 AM

Post #8 of 12 (2089 views)
Permalink
Re: Thumbnails and find_or_create_alternate() [In reply to]

On Tue, 2011-06-21 at 10:19 -0700, David E. Wheeler wrote:
> >
> > Does this suggest a change to publish_another(), or should the template
> > itself take care of getting the asset out of workflow?
>
> Yes.

You mean a patch is a good idea, or it's a good idea to get used to
doing it in a template?


Cheers,

Bret


--
Bret Dawson
Producer
Pectopah Productions Inc.
(416) 895-7635
bret [at] pectopah
www.pectopah.com


david at kineticode

Jun 21, 2011, 1:16 PM

Post #9 of 12 (2090 views)
Permalink
Re: Thumbnails and find_or_create_alternate() [In reply to]

On Jun 21, 2011, at 10:24 AM, Bret Dawson wrote:

> On Tue, 2011-06-21 at 10:19 -0700, David E. Wheeler wrote:
>>>
>>> Does this suggest a change to publish_another(), or should the template
>>> itself take care of getting the asset out of workflow?
>>
>> Yes.
>
> You mean a patch is a good idea, or it's a good idea to get used to
> doing it in a template?

I mean publish_another() should do it. Or else the code it calls to schedule it.

Best,

David


dawn at dawnthots

Jun 27, 2011, 10:57 AM

Post #10 of 12 (2062 views)
Permalink
Re: Thumbnails and find_or_create_alternate() [In reply to]

HI Bret

Did you get any further on this issue. I seem to be having a few strange issues with find_or_create_alternate() - putting a bunch of generated images on the publish desk - while also publishing the ones I request be created. I haven't looked deeply yet at it though - so it could be caused by (my) human error.

Dawn

On 2011-06-21, at 1:24 PM, Bret Dawson wrote:

> On Tue, 2011-06-21 at 10:19 -0700, David E. Wheeler wrote:
>>>
>>> Does this suggest a change to publish_another(), or should the template
>>> itself take care of getting the asset out of workflow?
>>
>> Yes.
>
> You mean a patch is a good idea, or it's a good idea to get used to
> doing it in a template?
>
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bret
>
>
> --
> Bret Dawson
> Producer
> Pectopah Productions Inc.
> (416) 895-7635
> bret [at] pectopah
> www.pectopah.com
>


bret at pectopah

Jun 27, 2011, 1:19 PM

Post #11 of 12 (2060 views)
Permalink
Re: Thumbnails and find_or_create_alternate() [In reply to]

Hi Dawn,

No, I haven't fixed it yet, but it looks like that
leaving-the-generated-images-in-workflow thing is indeed a bug. I expect
to submit a patch in the next week or so.


Talk to you soon,

Bret


On Mon, 2011-06-27 at 13:57 -0400, Dawn Buie wrote:
> HI Bret
>
> Did you get any further on this issue. I seem to be having a few strange issues with find_or_create_alternate() - putting a bunch of generated images on the publish desk - while also publishing the ones I request be created. I haven't looked deeply yet at it though - so it could be caused by (my) human error.
>
> Dawn
>
> On 2011-06-21, at 1:24 PM, Bret Dawson wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2011-06-21 at 10:19 -0700, David E. Wheeler wrote:
> >>>
> >>> Does this suggest a change to publish_another(), or should the template
> >>> itself take care of getting the asset out of workflow?
> >>
> >> Yes.
> >
> > You mean a patch is a good idea, or it's a good idea to get used to
> > doing it in a template?
> >
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Bret
> >
> >
> > --
> > Bret Dawson
> > Producer
> > Pectopah Productions Inc.
> > (416) 895-7635
> > bret [at] pectopah
> > www.pectopah.com
> >
>
>

--
Bret Dawson
Producer
Pectopah Productions Inc.
(416) 895-7635
bret [at] pectopah
www.pectopah.com


zdravko.balorda at siix

Feb 3, 2012, 12:25 AM

Post #12 of 12 (1623 views)
Permalink
Re: Thumbnails and find_or_create_alternate() [In reply to]

Bret, hi!
Is there a bug ticket for this already?
I took find_or_create_alternate out of Image scope in to a global
scope trying to extend some of the functionality. Namely:

1. more than one thumbnail
Brilliantly, an alternate_image can also be of type Related Media,
so why not having a chain of thumbnails, one for cover page,
one for RSS, one for home page, possibly one for the very story itself, etc.

2, reprocess an image if the file is reloded, changed, or transformer
paramters have changed.

I haven't added any new fields, everything is done inside title and file name
of the media document.

People are quite happy, as they can load a "large enough" image into Bricolage
and scale to their liking inside editor. Even better, they can rescale it within
bricolage. No need to upload new images.
And I'm happy, too, when a designer chooses to change thumbnail size, the solution
is only one republish away.

All that has left are thumbnails left around on the current desk, instead being
shelved after publishing.


Best regards, Zdravko

Bret Dawson wrote:
> Hi Dawn,
>
> No, I haven't fixed it yet, but it looks like that
> leaving-the-generated-images-in-workflow thing is indeed a bug. I expect
> to submit a patch in the next week or so.
>
>
> Talk to you soon,
>
> Bret
>
>
> On Mon, 2011-06-27 at 13:57 -0400, Dawn Buie wrote:
>> HI Bret
>>
>> Did you get any further on this issue. I seem to be having a few strange issues with find_or_create_alternate() - putting a bunch of generated images on the publish desk - while also publishing the ones I request be created. I haven't looked deeply yet at it though - so it could be caused by (my) human error.
>>
>> Dawn
>>
>> On 2011-06-21, at 1:24 PM, Bret Dawson wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, 2011-06-21 at 10:19 -0700, David E. Wheeler wrote:
>>>>> Does this suggest a change to publish_another(), or should the template
>>>>> itself take care of getting the asset out of workflow?
>>>> Yes.
>>> You mean a patch is a good idea, or it's a good idea to get used to
>>> doing it in a template?
>>>
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Bret
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Bret Dawson
>>> Producer
>>> Pectopah Productions Inc.
>>> (416) 895-7635
>>> bret [at] pectopah
>>> www.pectopah.com
>>>
>>
>


--
Zdravko Balorda
Med.Over.Net
Jurčkova 229, Ljubljana

Tel.: +386 (0)1 520 50 50

Obiščite sistem zdravstvenih nasvetov Med.Over.Net

Bricolage users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.