Mailing List Archive: Bricolage: users
Re: Reducing your API overhead

Index | Next | Previous | View Flat

mattrolf at me

Re: Reducing your API overhead [In reply to]

On May 19, 2010, at 11:57 PM, David E. Wheeler wrote:

> The problem is that elements and fields are fetched separately for each container element. Say you have 25 stories you retrieve in a template via Story->list. If all you grab is the URI and title of the stories it's no big deal: That data is loaded when each story is fetched. But as soon as you get into elements it gets expensive.

David, after doing a little reading on my own, I'm wondering if you could clarify your statement a little bit. What exactly is loaded when a story object is fetched through Story->list?

It sounds like if you're listing story objects based on any of the supported lookup keys (including keyword) then that's going to be pretty fast. And if you were just using the title, uri, and description to generate an archive page that gets sorted on publish date, that stuff is all readily at hand. But once you start pulling keywords or categories or elements out of those stories to do stuff, that's where you run the risk of getting bogged down. Is that correct?

And at what point would it be more efficient to look for only story ids as opposed to story objects and then pull various asset pieces based on the id?

-Matt