Mailing List Archive: Bricolage: users

Migrating from Bric1/Postgres to Bric2/MySQL

Bricolage users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

willert at gmail

Migrating from Bric1/Postgres to Bric2/MySQL

Hi folks,

congrats to, and a big thanks for the great Bricolage 2.0 release.

While at upgrading, I'd really like to drop our original PostgreSQL DB
and switch to MySQL (not because of implementation quality, thats for
sure, but because of in-house expertise and consolidation, Bric is the
only thing that keeps PgSQL running here).

I figured the best way to do it, is to clone the whole site ala
bric_dev_sync. Are there any pre-made scripts floating around on the
internets, or do I have to whip up (and publish) my own?

Or am I totally missing something?

Cheers,
Sebastian

david at kineticode

Re: Migrating from Bric1/Postgres to Bric2/MySQL [In reply to]

On May 4, 2010, at 5:46 AM, Sebastian Willert wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> congrats to, and a big thanks for the great Bricolage 2.0 release.
>
> While at upgrading, I'd really like to drop our original PostgreSQL DB
> and switch to MySQL (not because of implementation quality, thats for
> sure, but because of in-house expertise and consolidation, Bric is the
> only thing that keeps PgSQL running here).

I recommend against it. It will be a hell of a slog to convert, very time-consuming and therefore expensive.

> I figured the best way to do it, is to clone the whole site ala
> bric_dev_sync. Are there any pre-made scripts floating around on the
> internets, or do I have to whip up (and publish) my own?

Yes, the way you'd have to do it is to set up the new server with Bricolage 2.0 + MySQL, export everything from the old server via SOAP and import it into the new server via SOAP. In fact, for optimum XML compatibility, I'd recommend that the old server be upgraded to 2.0, too.

> Or am I totally missing something?

Months of pain?

Good luck.

Best,

David

Bricolage users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded