Mailing List Archive: Bricolage: users

Upgrade - 1.10.2 to 1.11.1

Bricolage users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

michael.fletcher at cbs

Jul 20, 2009, 8:33 AM

Upgrade - 1.10.2 to 1.11.1

Hello,

Our production environment is currently running Bricolage 1.10.2 and PostgreSQL 8.1.11 on two separate servers. I've installed a new instance of Bricolage (1.11.1) on a new server.

Are there any data structure changes between Bricolage 1.10.2 and 1.11.1? If so, I can create a new database server with PostgreSQL 8.3.7 but I need to know how to convert the data from 1.10.2 to 1.11.1. I can only find instructions for "make upgrade" but I don't want to do this on our production server.

If there are no data structure changes, then I am having a problem connecting my new Bricolage instance to my existing database. When I setup the DB_HOST and DB_PORT in bricolage.conf to my existing Pg database, the Bricolage server hangs for a very long time when I execute "bric_apachectl start" and it fails to start cleanly.

Thank you for your assistance.
Regards,
Mike

david at kineticode

Jul 20, 2009, 9:29 AM

Re: Upgrade - 1.10.2 to 1.11.1 [In reply to]

On Jul 20, 2009, at 8:33 AM, Fletcher, Michael wrote:

> Are there any data structure changes between Bricolage 1.10.2 and
> 1.11.1? If so, I can create a new database server with PostgreSQL
> 8.3.7 but I need to know how to convert the data from 1.10.2 to
> 1.11.1. I can only find instructions for "make upgrade" but I don't
> want to do this on our production server.

Yes, there are, but `make upgrade` will run them all against your
database.

> If there are no data structure changes, then I am having a problem
> connecting my new Bricolage instance to my existing database. When
> I setup the DB_HOST and DB_PORT in bricolage.conf to my existing Pg
> database, the Bricolage server hangs for a very long time when I
> execute "bric_apachectl start" and it fails to start cleanly.

It was working before the upgrade? Can you `use
Bric::Biz::Asset::Business::SOAP` in a standalone script? What OS is
this? What version of Perl? Is it the vendor's Perl and Apache/mod_perl?

Best,

David

michael.fletcher at cbs

Jul 21, 2009, 7:23 AM

RE: Upgrade - 1.10.2 to 1.11.1 [In reply to]

I'm putting Bric 1.11.1 and the new instance of a PostgreSQL database on brand new servers. The database is not on the same local server as Bric. My production environment is also on two separate servers, 1 for Bric and 1 for the database. I would like to backup my PostgreSQL database on the old server and restore it on the new server, which is no problem but I don't know how to convert the data to the new Bric data structures. It seems like 'make upgrade' is intended for upgrading on the same server - which is not the case for me.

My new server configuration is:
CentOS 5.2
Apache 2.2.11
mod_perl 2.0.4
Perl 5.8.5
PostgreSQL 8.3

I will be doing the data migration twice - once for testing the new environment, and then again on the day we actually switch over to the new system.

Thanks,
Mike

On Monday, July 20, 2009 9:29 AM, David E. Wheeler wrote:

> On Jul 20, 2009, at 8:33 AM, Fletcher, Michael wrote:
>
>> Are there any data structure changes between Bricolage 1.10.2 and
>> 1.11.1? If so, I can create a new database server with PostgreSQL
>> 8.3.7 but I need to know how to convert the data from 1.10.2 to
>> 1.11.1. I can only find instructions for "make upgrade" but I don't
>> want to do this on our production server.
>
> Yes, there are, but `make upgrade` will run them all against your database.
>
>> If there are no data structure changes, then I am having a problem
>> connecting my new Bricolage instance to my existing database. When I
>> setup the DB_HOST and DB_PORT in bricolage.conf to my existing Pg
>> database, the Bricolage server hangs for a very long time when I
>> execute "bric_apachectl start" and it fails to start cleanly.
>
> It was working before the upgrade? Can you `use Bric::Biz::Asset::Business::SOAP`
> in a standalone script? What OS is this? What version of Perl? Is it the
> vendor's Perl and Apache/mod_perl?
>
> Best,
>
> David

david at kineticode

Jul 21, 2009, 9:39 AM

Re: Upgrade - 1.10.2 to 1.11.1 [In reply to]

On Jul 21, 2009, at 7:23 AM, Fletcher, Michael wrote:

> I'm putting Bric 1.11.1 and the new instance of a PostgreSQL
> database on brand new servers. The database is not on the same
> local server as Bric. My production environment is also on two
> separate servers, 1 for Bric and 1 for the database. I would like
> to backup my PostgreSQL database on the old server and restore it on
> the new server, which is no problem but I don't know how to convert
> the data to the new Bric data structures. It seems like 'make
> upgrade' is intended for upgrading on the same server - which is not
> the case for me.

I recommend that you run `make upgrade` to update your local server,
then restore it to the new box and change your connection settings.

> My new server configuration is:
> CentOS 5.2
> Apache 2.2.11
> mod_perl 2.0.4
> Perl 5.8.5
> PostgreSQL 8.3

You will also need to reconfigure things for mod_perl2.

> I will be doing the data migration twice - once for testing the new
> environment, and then again on the day we actually switch over to
> the new system.

Smart.

Best,

David

michael.fletcher at cbs

Jul 22, 2009, 1:27 PM

RE: Upgrade - 1.10.2 to 1.11.1 [In reply to]

Hello,

Ideally, I'd like to copy my data to the new server without having to run 'make upgrade' because I don't want to change the existing server running Bric 1.10.2. Getting Bricolage 1.11.1 installed on the new server was no easy task with all the prerequisites. Doing the upgrade on our production server seems very risky to me, not to mention we are a 24/7 news service and it would require way too much down time for our business.

Isn't there any way that I can copy the data over to the new server running Bric 1.11.1, run JUST the data conversion portion of 'make upgrade' and test all my data on the new server? Then if all goes well, I can do that again in a short period of time and switch everyone over the to new server.

I must be misunderstanding you, because you said that my idea of doing this once for testing and then again when we go live is "Smart", but I think you're telling me I have to run 'make upgrade' on the existing production server. How would I do that twice and not affect the existing version of Bricolage on that server? As you can see, I'm confused.

Thanks for your help,
Mike

On July 21, 2009 9:40 AM David E. Wheeler wrote:

>> I'm putting Bric 1.11.1 and the new instance of a PostgreSQL database
>> on brand new servers. The database is not on the same local server as
>> Bric. My production environment is also on two separate servers, 1
>> for Bric and 1 for the database. I would like to backup my PostgreSQL
>> database on the old server and restore it on the new server, which is
>> no problem but I don't know how to convert the data to the new Bric
>> data structures. It seems like 'make upgrade' is intended for
>> upgrading on the same server - which is not the case for me.

> I recommend that you run `make upgrade` to update your local server,
> then restore it to the new box and change your connection settings.

>> My new server configuration is:
>> CentOS 5.2
>> Apache 2.2.11
>> mod_perl 2.0.4
>> Perl 5.8.5
>> PostgreSQL 8.3

> You will also need to reconfigure things for mod_perl2.

>> I will be doing the data migration twice - once for testing the new
>> environment, and then again on the day we actually switch over to the
>> new system.

Smart.

Best,

David

cdmiller at adams

Jul 22, 2009, 3:12 PM

Re: Upgrade - 1.10.2 to 1.11.1 [In reply to]

Hello,

Here is what I would do, and I'll be pursuing something similar pretty
soon for our production stuff:

1) Set up the new server, put as many bricolage prerequisites in place
as possible, this will include an Apache 1.3 install for Bricolage 1.10.x.

2) Run a make clone on your production server.

3) Put the clone image on the new server and run a make install, specify
a new database when you do this.

4) Run a make upgrade to Bricolage 1.11.x on the new server.

5) Install apache 2 on the new server and manually fix the Bricolage
1.11.x configuration to use it.

6) Test new server/database with different preview/publish targets
before flipping the switch.

I think there are some tips for switching the configuration from apache
1.3 to apache 2 buried somewhere in the list archives.

Hope that is helpful.

- cameron

Fletcher, Michael wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Ideally, I'd like to copy my data to the new server without having to run 'make upgrade' because I don't want to change the existing server running Bric 1.10.2. Getting Bricolage 1.11.1 installed on the new server was no easy task with all the prerequisites. Doing the upgrade on our production server seems very risky to me, not to mention we are a 24/7 news service and it would require way too much down time for our business.
>
> Isn't there any way that I can copy the data over to the new server running Bric 1.11.1, run JUST the data conversion portion of 'make upgrade' and test all my data on the new server? Then if all goes well, I can do that again in a short period of time and switch everyone over the to new server.
>
> I must be misunderstanding you, because you said that my idea of doing this once for testing and then again when we go live is "Smart", but I think you're telling me I have to run 'make upgrade' on the existing production server. How would I do that twice and not affect the existing version of Bricolage on that server? As you can see, I'm confused.
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Mike
>

> On July 21, 2009 9:40 AM David E. Wheeler wrote:
>
>>> I'm putting Bric 1.11.1 and the new instance of a PostgreSQL database
>>> on brand new servers. The database is not on the same local server as
>>> Bric. My production environment is also on two separate servers, 1
>>> for Bric and 1 for the database. I would like to backup my PostgreSQL
>>> database on the old server and restore it on the new server, which is
>>> no problem but I don't know how to convert the data to the new Bric
>>> data structures. It seems like 'make upgrade' is intended for
>>> upgrading on the same server - which is not the case for me.
>
>> I recommend that you run `make upgrade` to update your local server,
>> then restore it to the new box and change your connection settings.
>
>>> My new server configuration is:
>>> CentOS 5.2
>>> Apache 2.2.11
>>> mod_perl 2.0.4
>>> Perl 5.8.5
>>> PostgreSQL 8.3
>
>> You will also need to reconfigure things for mod_perl2.
>
>>> I will be doing the data migration twice - once for testing the new
>>> environment, and then again on the day we actually switch over to the
>>> new system.
>
> Smart.
>
> Best,
>
> David

david at kineticode

Jul 22, 2009, 11:37 PM

Re: Upgrade - 1.10.2 to 1.11.1 [In reply to]

On Jul 22, 2009, at 3:12 PM, cdmiller wrote:

> Here is what I would do, and I'll be pursuing something similar pretty
> soon for our production stuff:

Yes, this was exactly what I was going to suggest. Thanks Cameron,
well said.

Best,

David

michael.fletcher at cbs

Jul 31, 2009, 10:16 AM

RE: Upgrade - 1.10.2 to 1.11.1 [In reply to]

I've decided to try the SOAP method to export from Bric 1.10.2 to 1.11.1
I have a user.xml file that I'm trying to "create" on the new system and I'm getting an error.

Here's the file contents:
<assets xmlns="http://bricolage.sourceforge.net/assets.xsd">
<user id="2485">
<prefix></prefix>
<fname>Michael</fname>
<mname></mname>
<lname>Fletcher</lname>
<suffix></suffix>
<login>fletch</login>
<password></password>
<active>1</active>
<contacts>
<contact type="Primary Email">michael.fletcher [at] cbs</contact>
</contacts>
</user>
</assets>

Here's the command:
/usr/local/bin/bric_soap user create --username admin --password ******** /tmp/user.xml

Here's the error:
Call to Bric::SOAP::User->create failed:
Can't use string ("") as a HASH ref while "strict refs" in use at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/Bric/SOAP/User.pm line 392, <GEN25> line 19.
Check the Apache error log for more detail.

I can't find anything wrong with the XML and I've even tried adding <![CDATA]]> around all the values, but that didn't help.

Thanks,
Mike
On Jul 22, 2009, at 11:38 PM, David E. Wheeler wrote:

>> Here is what I would do, and I'll be pursuing something similar pretty
>> soon for our production stuff:
>
>Yes, this was exactly what I was going to suggest. Thanks Cameron, well said.
>
>Best,
>
>David

david at kineticode

Jul 31, 2009, 3:23 PM

Re: Upgrade - 1.10.2 to 1.11.1 [In reply to]

On Jul 31, 2009, at 10:16 AM, Fletcher, Michael wrote:

> Here's the error:
> Call to Bric::SOAP::User->create failed:
> Can't use string ("") as a HASH ref while "strict refs" in use at /
> usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/Bric/SOAP/User.pm line 392,
> <GEN25> line 19.

What's at your line 392 in Bric::SOAP::User? What version of
SOAP::Lite to you have installed? Also, upgrade your Perl, that one is
ancient!

I don't recommend migrating this way, as the SOAP API does not support
all Bricolage objects (like contacts, for example).

Best,

David

Bricolage users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded