Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Bricolage: devel

While we're on the subject of new features

 

 

Bricolage devel RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


bret at pectopah

May 4, 2012, 1:33 PM

Post #1 of 7 (1953 views)
Permalink
While we're on the subject of new features

Hi again!

Here's an idea that the friends at IFEX have recently expressed
enthusiasm for. Before I launch into it, I thought it would be good to
see if the idea passes the sniff test with all of you, and if you have
thoughts about how it should be implemented.

The request: having multiple edit screens open at once

My first thoughts about how to do it: Think of My Workspace as more of a
desktop. Clicking the edit link on an asset would pop open a new browser
window, which would hold the edit screen. Any procedures that would, in
current use, navigate away from the edit screen (save, publish, check
in, etc.), would cause the popup to close. Maybe "save" could become
"save and close." Clicking the edit link for an asset that already has
an open window would give that window focus.

Anyway, I'd be grateful to hear your thoughts about both the idea and
its implementation.


Thanks so much,

Bret




--
Bret Dawson
Producer
Pectopah Productions Inc.
(416) 895-7635
bret [at] pectopah
www.pectopah.com


rs at plusw

May 5, 2012, 7:31 AM

Post #2 of 7 (1875 views)
Permalink
Re: While we're on the subject of new features [In reply to]

+1

Missing that a lot especially when editing templates, where I want to see or copy code from other templates

Am 04.05.2012 um 22:33 schrieb Bret Dawson:

> Hi again!
>
> Here's an idea that the friends at IFEX have recently expressed
> enthusiasm for. Before I launch into it, I thought it would be good to
> see if the idea passes the sniff test with all of you, and if you have
> thoughts about how it should be implemented.
>
> The request: having multiple edit screens open at once
>
> My first thoughts about how to do it: Think of My Workspace as more of a
> desktop. Clicking the edit link on an asset would pop open a new browser
> window, which would hold the edit screen. Any procedures that would, in
> current use, navigate away from the edit screen (save, publish, check
> in, etc.), would cause the popup to close. Maybe "save" could become
> "save and close." Clicking the edit link for an asset that already has
> an open window would give that window focus.
>
> Anyway, I'd be grateful to hear your thoughts about both the idea and
> its implementation.
>
>
> Thanks so much,
>
> Bret
>
>
>
>
> --
> Bret Dawson
> Producer
> Pectopah Productions Inc.
> (416) 895-7635
> bret [at] pectopah
> www.pectopah.com
>
>
>

Regards
Rolf Schaufelberger


david at justatheory

May 5, 2012, 1:32 PM

Post #3 of 7 (1873 views)
Permalink
Re: While we're on the subject of new features [In reply to]

On May 5, 2012, at 7:31 AM, Rolf Schaufelberger wrote:

> Missing that a lot especially when editing templates, where I want to see or copy code from other templates

I use the virtual FTP server when I want that.

But otherwise, Yes, agreed, +1. Non-trivial, though.

David


rs at plusw

May 5, 2012, 2:03 PM

Post #4 of 7 (1873 views)
Permalink
Re: While we're on the subject of new features [In reply to]

Am 05.05.2012 um 22:32 schrieb David E. Wheeler:

> On May 5, 2012, at 7:31 AM, Rolf Schaufelberger wrote:
>
>> Missing that a lot especially when editing templates, where I want to see or copy code from other templates
>
> I use the virtual FTP server when I want that.

Tried that too, but could get ftp-mode working with my emacs :-(

>
> But otherwise, Yes, agreed, +1. Non-trivial, though.
>
> David
>

Rolf Schaufelberger


david at justatheory

May 7, 2012, 9:16 AM

Post #5 of 7 (1863 views)
Permalink
Re: While we're on the subject of new features [In reply to]

On May 5, 2012, at 2:03 PM, Rolf Schaufelberger wrote:

> Tried that too, but could get ftp-mode working with my emacs :-(

It has gotten better, but I have also just mounted the FTP volume as a disk on my Mac desktop. Works great.

David


leggn at denison

May 8, 2012, 4:45 AM

Post #6 of 7 (1853 views)
Permalink
Re: While we're on the subject of new features [In reply to]

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 4:33 PM, Bret Dawson <bret [at] pectopah> wrote:

> The request: having multiple edit screens open at once
>

I'm concerned this might worsen the user experience for the average editor.
Most of my users are already so confused by the editing interface that
multiple windows (or tabs, for that matter) might cause them to revolt. The
fact that previewing a story pops open a new window/tab is far enough in my
opinion; I know a number of users who have difficulty navigating back to
the Bricolage tab in their browser after previewing. I can imagine how
challenging it would be to support users when multiple Bricolage windows
start showing up.

That said, I have some power users who might really take to this concept.
Could it be toggled based on a user preference?

-Nick


ps at phillipadsmith

May 13, 2012, 3:18 PM

Post #7 of 7 (1822 views)
Permalink
Re: While we're on the subject of new features [In reply to]

On 2012-05-08, at 6:45 AM, Nick Legg III wrote:

> On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 4:33 PM, Bret Dawson <bret [at] pectopah> wrote:
>
>> The request: having multiple edit screens open at once
>>
>
> I'm concerned this might worsen the user experience for the average editor.
> Most of my users are already so confused by the editing interface that
> multiple windows (or tabs, for that matter) might cause them to revolt. The
> fact that previewing a story pops open a new window/tab is far enough in my
> opinion; I know a number of users who have difficulty navigating back to
> the Bricolage tab in their browser after previewing. I can imagine how
> challenging it would be to support users when multiple Bricolage windows
> start showing up.
>
> That said, I have some power users who might really take to this concept.
> Could it be toggled based on a user preference?

+1 on the above.

As a VirtualFTP user, I don't see the need for template editing.

Not sure that I've ever heard from users that they'd like to have two stories up at once.

Phillip.

--
Phillip Smith
http://phillipadsmith.com
http://twitter.com/phillipadsmith
http://linkedin.com/in/phillipadsmith

Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org

Bricolage devel RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.