Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Bricolage: devel

Development and testing procedure

 

 

Bricolage devel RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


catalyst at mikeraynham

Jun 8, 2011, 10:22 AM

Post #1 of 3 (1726 views)
Permalink
Development and testing procedure

Hi,

I've recently started to work on a few bug fixes, and am also looking at
making some improvements to `find_or_create_alternate`. As part of
this, I need to better understand how to test Bricolage in a development
environment.

I have read the entire Bric::Hacker section, and have contributed a few
minor bug fixes with the help of "Contributing a Bug Fix". However, I
am not clear on the best approach for running tests during the
development process.

I have found `inst/runtests.pl`, but it is failing to connect to the
database. Is there an installation process that I need to run to setup
a test database?

I have ended up running `make dist` and reinstalling Bricolage each time
I want to run the tests, which is okay for a final test, but not really
very efficient for testing as I go.

Is there a standard procedure that Bric hackers go through when
developing and bug fixing?




Regards,

Mike


greg at node79

Jun 8, 2011, 10:51 AM

Post #2 of 3 (1628 views)
Permalink
Re: Development and testing procedure [In reply to]

On 2011-06-08, at 1:22 PM, Mike Raynham wrote:

> Is there a standard procedure that Bric hackers go through when developing and bug fixing?

There's a little more detail in the "Testing" section of this wiki page:
https://github.com/bricoleurs/bricolage/wiki/coding-standards

I set up my Bricolage installation with "make dev" which makes symlinks rather than copies of files. So /usr/local/bricolage/lib actually points to the lib directory of my local Git checkout, which is handy. Other than that, it acts as a regular "make install" would (including setting up the database).

After some code changes, "make test" runs the regular test suite. "make devtest" will run all over the database and overwrite things, but I run that only on my throwaway "development" installation.

HTH,
--Greg


catalyst at mikeraynham

Jun 8, 2011, 3:10 PM

Post #3 of 3 (1622 views)
Permalink
Re: Development and testing procedure [In reply to]

On 8 Jun 2011 18:51, "Greg Heo" <greg [at] node79> wrote:
>
> On 2011-06-08, at 1:22 PM, Mike Raynham wrote:
>
> > Is there a standard procedure that Bric hackers go through when
developing and bug fixing?
>
> There's a little more detail in the "Testing" section of this wiki page:
> https://github.com/bricoleurs/bricolage/wiki/coding-standards
>
> I set up my Bricolage installation with "make dev" which makes symlinks
rather than copies of files. So /usr/local/bricolage/lib actually points to
the lib directory of my local Git checkout, which is handy. Other than that,
it acts as a regular "make install" would (including setting up the
database).

That's very cool, and just what I needed.

>
> After some code changes, "make test" runs the regular test suite. "make
devtest" will run all over the database and overwrite things, but I run that
only on my throwaway "development" installation.

Great, thanks. I'll dive in a little deeper when I get chance, and start
hacking away properly.

>
> HTH,
> --Greg
>

Regards,

Mike

Bricolage devel RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.