Mailing List Archive: Bricolage: devel

Re: [8502] Fix for bug #1390, newer versions of Safari properly handle

Bricolage devel RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

david at kineticode

Mar 12, 2009, 2:38 PM

On Mar 12, 2009, at 2:19 PM, rolfm [at] bricolage wrote:

> Fix for bug #1390, newer versions of Safari properly handle
> autocomplete forms.

LOL! Nice that it was that easy!

David

rolfm at denison

Mar 12, 2009, 4:33 PM

Re: [8502] Fix for bug #1390, newer versions of Safari properly handle [In reply to]

On Mar 12, 2009, at 5:38 PM, David E. Wheeler wrote:

> On Mar 12, 2009, at 2:19 PM, rolfm [at] bricolage wrote:
>
>> Fix for bug #1390, newer versions of Safari properly handle
>> autocomplete forms.
>
> LOL! Nice that it was that easy!

Yeah, it was pretty ridiculous once I got a chance to look at the
code. I just feel bad for Sarah. She used Herculean effort to try
and over-ride that browser check via other means.

I wonder how much longer that code should be left in there. We don't
even have a machine that can test Safari 2 at this point, although I
suppose we could build one.

-Matt

marshall at mroch

Mar 12, 2009, 6:44 PM

Re: [8502] Fix for bug #1390, newer versions of Safari properly handle [In reply to]

On Mar 12, 2009, at 5:38 PM, David E. Wheeler wrote:

> On Mar 12, 2009, at 2:19 PM, rolfm [at] bricolage wrote:
>
>> Fix for bug #1390, newer versions of Safari properly handle
>> autocomplete forms.
>
> LOL! Nice that it was that easy!

How does it work? navigator.appVersion is something like:

5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_6; en-us) AppleWebKit/
528.16 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/528.16

indexOf("AppleWebKit") is either -1 (not found) or the column where
the text "AppleWebKit" starts (always way greater than 3, in all
versions of Safari)... To detect Safari versions you have to parse out
the number after AppleWebKit (528.16 for Safari 4). See http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/DetectingWebKit
.

I think this change appears to work in new WebKit because it always
returns false, but actually breaks older WebKits.

--
Marshall

Bricolage devel RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded