Mailing List Archive: Bricolage: devel

Two Weeks

Bricolage devel RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

david at kineticode

Two Weeks

Howdy,

I'm planning to spend the next two weeks (starting on Monday) on
Bricolage. What I'd like to do is to jump-start things to get the
project going again. I hope I can rely on you to help me out by doing
some hacking yourself. Are you game?

Here's my project plan:

* 1 day: Fix 1.10.x Bugs. I can usually fix a raft of bugs in a
day's work; you should see what I've done in the past on cross-
country flights!

* 2 days: Merge rev_1_10 into trunk. A merge usually takes only a
few hours, but it has been a *long* time since the last merge and a
lot has changed in trunk. So I'm giving it two days, and hope it will
take less time than that. :-)

* 1 day: Merge the element occurrence branch into trunk. If it
hasn't already ben done, that is. If it has been done, then I'll see
about making sure that the UI works with the element occurrence.

For the remaining time I have, if any, I'd like to:

* Get Bricolage working on Apache 2. I'm motivated to do this
myself, I'm tired of running two apaches.

* Release a 1.11.0 beta with all of the changes in trunk. This is so
that people can really start kicking the tires and sending in bug
reports so that Phillip, Scott, Alex, and Marshall can fix bugs. ;-)

* Merge in Marshall's input channel stuff? This is the very last
thing, only if I have time left over in my two weeks, I'd look at what
it'd take to actually make this happen.

Anyway, that's my plan. What's yours?

Best,

David

phillip at communitybandwidth

Re: Two Weeks [In reply to]

Wow. This is super exciting. :-) My time this month is limited, but
feel free to point me to the priorities that I can help with.

Was already planning to do a screen cast walk-through of the new trunk
features ... so if that's 1.11.0 beta, so much the better for
promoting an easy way to play with it. Can we rope Cameron Miller into
creating a 1.11.0 beta VMware image?

I think my bug fixing skills are probably over-rated. But I've really
been aching to do a thorough review and re-write of some of the
documentation. Not sure when / where the best window is to do that.
Will the work you are doing introduce any new documentation (input
channels / element occurrence)? Or change much of the existing?

Phillip.

--
Phillip Smith,
Simplifier of Technology

david at kineticode

Re: Two Weeks [In reply to]

On Apr 9, 2008, at 10:43, Phillip Smith wrote:

> Wow. This is super exciting. :-) My time this month is limited,
> but feel free to point me to the priorities that I can help with.

Will do. I'll be on #bricolage on irc.perl.org as usual.

> Was already planning to do a screen cast walk-through of the new
> trunk features ... so if that's 1.11.0 beta, so much the better for
> promoting an easy way to play with it. Can we rope Cameron Miller
> into creating a 1.11.0 beta VMware image?

That'd be nice.

> I think my bug fixing skills are probably over-rated. But I've
> really been aching to do a thorough review and re-write of some of
> the documentation. Not sure when / where the best window is to do
> that. Will the work you are doing introduce any new documentation
> (input channels / element occurrence)? Or change much of the existing?

I think those features will require documentation updates, yes. Don't
count on input channels getting done, though.

Best,

David

rolfm at denison

Re: Two Weeks [In reply to]

Our network engineer talked about finishing our patch for the SFTP
issue. I'll copy him on this.

Also I'll take some time early in the week (Mon-Tues.) to try and
finish off what needs to be done in elem_occurence so that can be
merged.

-Matt

On Apr 8, 2008, at 3:18 PM, David E. Wheeler wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I'm planning to spend the next two weeks (starting on Monday) on
> Bricolage. What I'd like to do is to jump-start things to get the
> project going again. I hope I can rely on you to help me out by
> doing some hacking yourself. Are you game?
>
> Here's my project plan:
>
> * 1 day: Fix 1.10.x Bugs. I can usually fix a raft of bugs in a
> day's work; you should see what I've done in the past on cross-
> country flights!
>
> * 2 days: Merge rev_1_10 into trunk. A merge usually takes only a
> few hours, but it has been a *long* time since the last merge and a
> lot has changed in trunk. So I'm giving it two days, and hope it
> will take less time than that. :-)
>
> * 1 day: Merge the element occurrence branch into trunk. If it
> hasn't already ben done, that is. If it has been done, then I'll see
> about making sure that the UI works with the element occurrence.
>
> For the remaining time I have, if any, I'd like to:
>
> * Get Bricolage working on Apache 2. I'm motivated to do this
> myself, I'm tired of running two apaches.
>
> * Release a 1.11.0 beta with all of the changes in trunk. This is so
> that people can really start kicking the tires and sending in bug
> reports so that Phillip, Scott, Alex, and Marshall can fix bugs. ;-)
>
> * Merge in Marshall's input channel stuff? This is the very last
> thing, only if I have time left over in my two weeks, I'd look at
> what it'd take to actually make this happen.
>
> Anyway, that's my plan. What's yours?
>
> Best,
>
> David

david at kineticode

Re: Two Weeks [In reply to]

On Apr 11, 2008, at 13:05, Matt Rolf wrote:

> Our network engineer talked about finishing our patch for the SFTP
> issue. I'll copy him on this.
>
> Also I'll take some time early in the week (Mon-Tues.) to try and
> finish off what needs to be done in elem_occurence so that can be
> merged.

That'd be great, and save me some effort. Thanks!

Best,

David

bharder at methodlogic

Re: Two Weeks [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 12:18:05PM -0700, David E. Wheeler wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I'm planning to spend the next two weeks (starting on Monday) on
> Bricolage. What I'd like to do is to jump-start things to get the
> project going again.

[snip list of Very Cool Plans]

I'm in the middle of semi-major home renovations and getting computer projects in order... I'd _love_ to participate, but my time is too limited/fragmented atm... (hence this late reply, even :P)

I'll be following this as best I can though, and look forward to things settling down on my end and being able to work on a couple of Bric pet projects of my own...

--

Brad Harder,
Method Digital Logic

david at kineticode

Re: Two Weeks [In reply to]

On Apr 13, 2008, at 15:23, bharder wrote:

> I'm in the middle of semi-major home renovations and getting
> computer projects in order... I'd _love_ to participate, but my time
> is too limited/fragmented atm... (hence this late reply, even :P)
>
> I'll be following this as best I can though, and look forward to
> things settling down on my end and being able to work on a couple of
> Bric pet projects of my own...

Great, thanks.

I'm about to get things underway here, but had a favor to ask (OT): Is
anyone intimately familiar with awstats who can jump onto IRC to help
me with some configuration issues? It's driving me a bit batty.

Thanks,

David

adam at RFXTechnologies

RE: Two Weeks [In reply to]

> Is
> anyone intimately familiar with awstats who can jump onto IRC to help
> me with some configuration issues? It's driving me a bit batty.

> Thanks,
> David

Intimate would be a stretch, but I have used it in the past. What problems are you having?

david at kineticode

Re: Two Weeks [In reply to]

On Apr 14, 2008, at 11:40, Adam Wilson wrote:

> Intimate would be a stretch, but I have used it in the past. What
> problems are you having?

How does it know which config to use when it's loaded as a CGI? On the
command-line, I pass `-config=kineticode`, but no such luck when it
runs as a CGI. WTF?

Thanks,

David

simonw at digitalcraftsmen

Re: Two Weeks [In reply to]

David E. Wheeler wrote:
> How does it know which config to use when it's loaded as a CGI? On the
> command-line, I pass `-config=kineticode`, but no such luck when it runs
> as a CGI. WTF?

/cgi-bin/awstats.pl?config=kineticode should do the trick.

S.

--
Digital Craftsmen Ltd
Exmouth House, 3 Pine Street, London. EC1R 0JH

david at kineticode

Re: Two Weeks [In reply to]

On Apr 14, 2008, at 13:47, Simon Wilcox wrote:

>> How does it know which config to use when it's loaded as a CGI? On
>> the command-line, I pass `-config=kineticode`, but no such luck
>> when it runs as a CGI. WTF?
>
> /cgi-bin/awstats.pl?config=kineticode should do the trick.

Is it just me, or does that seem especially moronic to anyone else?

In all seriousness,

Re: Two Weeks [In reply to]

David E. Wheeler wrote:
> On Apr 14, 2008, at 13:47, Simon Wilcox wrote:
>
>>> How does it know which config to use when it's loaded as a CGI? On
>>> the command-line, I pass `-config=kineticode`, but no such luck when
>>> it runs as a CGI. WTF?
>>
>> /cgi-bin/awstats.pl?config=kineticode should do the trick.
>
> Is it just me, or does that seem especially moronic to anyone else?
>
> In all seriousness,

Yep, which is why you should never allow un-authenticated access to the
awstats cgi script.

Once you're authenticated to apache, you can control access to
individual configs via two directives in each config:

AllowAccessFromWebToAuthenticatedUsersOnly
AllowAccessFromWebToFollowingAuthenticatedUsers

http://awstats.sourceforge.net/docs/awstats_config.html#AllowAccessFromWebToAuthenticatedUsersOnly

The first actually goes in the common file that all our configs include
and then the second goes in each individual file to control access.

S.

Re: Two Weeks [In reply to]

On Apr 15, 2008, at 01:53, Simon Wilcox wrote:

> Yep, which is why you should never allow un-authenticated access to
> the awstats cgi script.
>
> Once you're authenticated to apache, you can control access to
> individual configs via two directives in each config:
>
> AllowAccessFromWebToAuthenticatedUsersOnly
> AllowAccessFromWebToFollowingAuthenticatedUsers
>
> http://awstats.sourceforge.net/docs/awstats_config.html#AllowAccessFromWebToAuthenticatedUsersOnly
>
> The first actually goes in the common file that all our configs
> include and then the second goes in each individual file to control
> access.

I think I'll go back to anacron + rmagic. This is just lame.

David

david at kineticode

Re: Two Weeks [In reply to]

On Apr 8, 2008, at 12:18, David E. Wheeler wrote:

> Here's my project plan:
>
> * 1 day: Fix 1.10.x Bugs. I can usually fix a raft of bugs in a
> day's work; you should see what I've done in the past on cross-
> country flights!

All but a few bugs have been fixed. I'll likely close some more before
the end of the week.

> * 2 days: Merge rev_1_10 into trunk. A merge usually takes only a
> few hours, but it has been a *long* time since the last merge and a
> lot has changed in trunk. So I'm giving it two days, and hope it
> will take less time than that. :-)

Fortunately this took only a few hours. :-)

> * 1 day: Merge the element occurrence branch into trunk. If it
> hasn't already ben done, that is. If it has been done, then I'll see
> about making sure that the UI works with the element occurrence.

This took me about a day. I added the UI changes to integrate the
element occurrence stuff, and just now merged into trunk. W00t!

So, as of now, I'm about a day behind (assuming a five-day work week).
But I have the whole of the coming week to work on the rest of my plan:

> For the remaining time I have, if any, I'd like to:

* I'm adding now to integrate Brian Smith's patches to the installer.
I'll do that tomorrow.

> * Get Bricolage working on Apache 2. I'm motivated to do this
> myself, I'm tired of running two apaches.

This will be done!

> * Release a 1.11.0 beta with all of the changes in trunk. This is so
> that people can really start kicking the tires and sending in bug
> reports so that Phillip, Scott, Alex, and Marshall can fix bugs. ;-)

This will be done this week.

> * Merge in Marshall's input channel stuff? This is the very last
> thing, only if I have time left over in my two weeks, I'd look at
> what it'd take to actually make this happen.

We'll see. This is lowest priority, and the merge from trunk itself is
likely to be hairy. If I can get that done, at least, then maybe some
of the rest of you can work on integrating input channels into the UI,
eh? IIRC, the API is all done.

Best,

David

Bricolage devel RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded