Mailing List Archive: mod_backhand: Wackamole

3 node active-active-passive setup

mod_backhand wackamole RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

samix_119 at yahoo

3 node active-active-passive setup

Salaam,

I did some experimentation with wackamole and set up an
active-active-passive cluster, say node A, node B and node C

I have assigned the following vip
192.168.0.1 to Node A
192.168.0.2 Node B

Node C is configured to take over any node that fails, The following is my conf file

For Node A
{code}
Spread = 4803
SpreadRetryInterval = 5s
Group = wack1
Control = /var/run/wackamole/wackamole.it

Prefer eth0:192.168.0.1/32

VirtualInterfaces {
        eth0:192.168.0.1/32
}

Arp-Cache = 60s
balance {
        AcquisitionsPerRound = all
        interval = 4s
}
mature = 5s
{code}

For Node B the conf file is
{code}
Spread = 4803
SpreadRetryInterval = 5s
Group = wack1
Control = /var/run/wackamole/wackamole.it

Prefer eth0:192.168.0.2/32

VirtualInterfaces {
        eth0:192.168.0.2/32
}

Arp-Cache = 60s
balance {
        AcquisitionsPerRound = all
        interval = 4s
}
mature = 5s
{code}

The conf file for the Node c ie the passive node is
{code}
Spread = 4803
SpreadRetryInterval = 5s
Group = wack1
Control = /var/run/wackamole/wackamole.it

Prefer None

VirtualInterfaces {
        eth0:192.168.0.1/32
        eth0:192.168.0.2/32
}

Arp-Cache = 60s
balance {
        AcquisitionsPerRound = all
        interval = 4s
}
mature = 5s
{code}

I have used prefer for Node A and Node B so that the Node C releases the VIP once the original node comes online

I tested this setup internally and it works just fine.

But when I tried to implement this in the live environment, problems started and the setup started behaving strangly, once the Node C takes up the ip from the Node A and B, it just never gives them back even after mentioning the Prefer directive

In the live environment the  only difference is that
1) it is sub netted
2) switch has spanning tree enabled

can someone please point out where I am going wrong ?

Thanks for your time.

Muhammed Sameer