Mailing List Archive: mod_backhand: Wackamole

wackamole problems

mod_backhand wackamole RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

jwest at imail

Aug 21, 2002, 7:07 AM

wackamole problems

Trying to do a new wackamole setup with two servers.

Spread is installed on four machines. The spread monitor shows all 4
machines are alive and talking to eachother. Each machine has two ethernet
interfaces. The first interface is for admin purposes & backups
(192.168.75.x/24). The second interface is what I want the virtual IP's to
come up on (192.168.75.x/24). When the machine boots, there is no IP address
on the second interface - I assumed wackamole would put one on it.

When I start wackamole, it displays a banner, then exits with no error
message. So my question is, what is the troubleshooting methods for
wackamole when it doesn't stay running? I can't seem to find anything in the
docs to debug it.

I suspected that the problem may be the virtual IP's are on the same subnet
(ie. if on one machine you have IP 192.168.75.22, the second interface can't
be 192.168.75.100). So... I tried changing the virtual IP's to a different
subnet (192.168.76.x/24). Wackamole still just displays the banner then
exists.

Rather than just tell me what the problem is likely to be (although I'd love
to hear thoughts on this), I'd like to know what debugging methods are
useful for wackamole. Is there some command line parameter for turning on
debugging or what?

Thanks in advance!

Jay West

---

Geoff.Campbell at internetworking

Aug 21, 2002, 7:32 AM

wackamole problems [In reply to]

Jay,

The -d switch will turn on debugging output for Wackamole.

I can tell you what your problem is likely to be, however - you should =
have a "real" IP address on your interface, and then the Wackamole =
virtual IP address will get added to the interface in addition to the =
real one.

Regards,

Geoff Campbell
Internetworking Ltd.
+44(0)1267-253747
=20

jesus at omniti

Aug 21, 2002, 7:44 AM

wackamole problems [In reply to]

Geoff Campbell wrote:

>Jay,
>
>The -d switch will turn on debugging output for Wackamole.
>
>I can tell you what your problem is likely to be, however - you should have a "real" IP address on your interface, and then the Wackamole virtual IP address will get added to the interface in addition to the real one.

You shouldn't be required to have any IPs on an interface for it to be
used by wackamole. And it should work fine with two physical interfaces
in the same subnet (though your routing table maybe confusing and/or
wrong). If it doesn't work, there is a bug in wackamole.

Use CVS.

--
Theo Schlossnagle
1024D/82844984/95FD 30F1 489E 4613 F22E 491A 7E88 364C 8284 4984

Geoff.Campbell at internetworking

Aug 21, 2002, 8:16 AM

wackamole problems [In reply to]

> You shouldn't be required to have any IPs on an interface for it to be =

> used by wackamole. And it should work fine with two physical =
interfaces=20
> in the same subnet (though your routing table maybe confusing and/or=20
> wrong). If it doesn't work, there is a bug in wackamole.

Ah, sorry, could have sworn I'd read that this was a requirement.

Regards,

Geoff Campbell
Internetworking Ltd.
+44(0)1267-253747

mod_backhand wackamole RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded