Mailing List Archive: mod_backhand: users

Newbie question

mod_backhand users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

hkind at kindserver

Mar 23, 2002, 7:15 AM

Newbie question

Hi,

I want to know if I'm able to use backhand in the following situation.

We have 2 dedicated servers, each with there own domain name and public ip
addresses.

Content on both dedicated servers are identical.

We need to load balance the servers, and I was wondering if this can be
done with Backhand.

So when a I visit server A, based on the load on the servers, I can be
taken to server A or B, and continue on that server. (HTTP redirect?)

rgds

Hans Kind

mbull at uoguelph

Mar 25, 2002, 9:42 AM

Newbie question [In reply to]

At 03:15 PM 23/03/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I want to know if I'm able to use backhand in the following situation.
>
>We have 2 dedicated servers, each with there own domain name and public ip
>addresses.
>
>Content on both dedicated servers are identical.
>
>We need to load balance the servers, and I was wondering if this can be
>done with Backhand.
>
>So when a I visit server A, based on the load on the servers, I can be
>taken to server A or B, and continue on that server. (HTTP redirect?)

Hans:
I'm not an expert on this yet, as my cluster is fairly new... but if I
remember correctly while I was setting it up, indeed, if a machine has a
different ServerName and is backhanded to, the URL resulting back to the
user will have the new server's name listed. I'd do a test of this
first... but, from my experience, I think you'll get what you want.

They have to either be on the same subnet, or be able to do multicast, in
order to participate in the cluster tho.

mod_backhand users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded