Mailing List Archive: atrpms: users

Re: openswan failed dependencies

atrpms users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

Axel.Thimm at physik

Mar 5, 2004, 7:56 PM

Re: openswan failed dependencies

Hi Phil,

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 07:31:46PM +0100, pi wrote:
> Hi Axel
>
> I'm trying to install (and use) openswan.
>
> I get all the needed packages (except kernel)
>
> When I launch IPSEC, It works. (cool...)
>
> But, when I try to activate NAT-T, I got an error message in log file
> saying that kernel is not compiled for NAT-T support.
> Where can I find such a kernel .
>
> I use RH9 with 2.4.20-30.9 i686

Currently you would need to patch a kernel source tree, there are no
kernel rpms with NAT-T built in for RH9. I *think* the FC1 kernels are
already doing NAT-T, and they usually works very well on RH9 (at least
there has been noone with contrary exeprience up to now).

I suggest to install kernel and openswan-kmdl from FC1 and test
whether you are already with NAT-T. And please let me also know, if
this was true :)

--
Axel.Thimm [at] physik
Re: openswan failed dependencies [In reply to]

what a supersonic response!!!

rookie wants to know what is the FC1 ?

Phil

Axel Thimm wrote:

>Hi Phil,
>
>On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 07:31:46PM +0100, pi wrote:
>

>Currently you would need to patch a kernel source tree, there are no
>kernel rpms with NAT-T built in for RH9. I *think* the FC1 kernels are
>already doing NAT-T, and they usually works very well on RH9 (at least
>there has been noone with contrary exeprience up to now).
>
>I suggest to install kernel and openswan-kmdl from FC1 and test
>whether you are already with NAT-T. And please let me also know, if
>this was true :)
>

>>Thx
>>Phil

Axel.Thimm at physik

Mar 5, 2004, 8:15 PM

Re: openswan failed dependencies [In reply to]

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 08:01:29PM +0100, pi wrote:
> what a supersonic response!!!
>
> rookie wants to know what is the FC1 ?

FC1 is the acronym for Fedora Core 1, the consumer level successor of
Red Hat Linux 9. It is a bit more complicated than that, but in
general most people using RH9 for private use would use FC1 and Red
Hat tries to persuade commercial users to move towards the Red Hat
Enterprise Linux products (RHEL).

--
Axel.Thimm [at] physik
Re: openswan failed dependencies [In reply to]

Axel Thimm wrote:

>FC1 is the acronym for Fedora Core 1, the consumer level successor of
>Red Hat Linux 9. It is a bit more complicated than that, but in
>general most people using RH9 for private use would use FC1 and Red
>Hat tries to persuade commercial users to move towards the Red Hat
>Enterprise Linux products (RHEL).

I thought Fedora Core 1 was only in testing mode (waiting for Core 2 and
2.6 kernel)
Can I use FC1 in a production environment ?
(If I wan't to implement VPN, it's for security.)

>>>Currently you would need to patch a kernel source tree, there are no
>>>kernel rpms with NAT-T built in for RH9. I *think* the FC1 kernels are
>>>already doing NAT-T, and they usually works very well on RH9 (at least
>>>there has been noone with contrary exeprience up to now).
>>>
>>>I suggest to install kernel and openswan-kmdl from FC1 and test
>>>whether you are already with NAT-T. And please let me also know, if
>>>this was true :)

If I understood well, I download :

the kernel for my P133
kernel-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl_37.rhfc1.at.i586.rpm
<http://download.atrpms.net/production/packages/fedora-1-i386/atrpms/kernel-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl_37.rhfc1.at.i586.rpm>

openswan
openswan-2.0.0-2_dr3.rhfc1.at.i386.rpm
<http://download.atrpms.net/testing/packages/fedora-1-i386/atrpms/openswan-2.0.0-2_dr3.rhfc1.at.i386.rpm>
openswan-kmdl-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl-2.1.0-3_rc1.rhfc1.at.i586.rpm
<http://download.atrpms.net/testing/packages/fedora-1-i386/atrpms/openswan-kmdl-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl-2.1.0-3_rc1.rhfc1.at.i586.rpm>

+ atrpms packages

correct

Axel.Thimm at physik

Mar 5, 2004, 10:01 PM

Re: openswan failed dependencies [In reply to]

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 09:08:26PM +0100, pi wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote:
> > FC1 is the acronym for Fedora Core 1, the consumer level successor
> > of Red Hat Linux 9. It is a bit more complicated than that, but in
> > general most people using RH9 for private use would use FC1 and
> > Red Hat tries to persuade commercial users to move towards the Red
> > Hat Enterprise Linux products (RHEL).
>
> I thought Fedora Core 1 was only in testing mode (waiting for Core 2 and
> 2.6 kernel)

FC1 is well released some months ago and FC2 is currently being tested.

> Can I use FC1 in a production environment ?
> (If I wan't to implement VPN, it's for security.)

It depends, most people find FC1 as good as RH9 and better, but you
have no support to buy from RH (in case you need it).

> If I understood well, I download :
>
> the kernel for my P133
> kernel-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl_37.rhfc1.at.i586.rpm
> <http://download.atrpms.net/production/packages/fedora-1-i386/atrpms/kernel-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl_37.rhfc1.at.i586.rpm>
>
> openswan
> openswan-2.0.0-2_dr3.rhfc1.at.i386.rpm
> <http://download.atrpms.net/testing/packages/fedora-1-i386/atrpms/openswan-2.0.0-2_dr3.rhfc1.at.i386.rpm>
> openswan-kmdl-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl-2.1.0-3_rc1.rhfc1.at.i586.rpm
> <http://download.atrpms.net/testing/packages/fedora-1-i386/atrpms/openswan-kmdl-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl-2.1.0-3_rc1.rhfc1.at.i586.rpm>
>
> + atrpms packages
>
> correct

Yes, that would be a valid combination (you really have i586?
e.g. Pentium I or K6? Otherwise go i686 or athlon)
--
Axel.Thimm [at] physik