Mailing List Archive: atrpms: users

Where to go with Nvidia Long Lived?

atrpms users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

mo.ucina at gmail

Mar 28, 2012, 2:26 AM

Where to go with Nvidia Long Lived?

Hello Guys,

You are no doubt just as confused as me when looking at the NVIDIA versioning . I was just at Nvidia Linux forum to see that the long liver branch is now at 295.33 . This prompted me to ask a question :

"I have noticed over the last two releases , that the http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=176991#"]version numbers for the official release is the same as Long Lived . Does anyone know why this is , Is it that the long lived has been dropped , because I have been using it and think it is a very good idea . Or is it just a http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=176991#"]typo on the web page ?"

The response that I received from ArronP was :

Re: Why is official release same as Long Lived?
Right, the long-lived support branch moved forward from 275.* to 295.*. 295.* will continue to be maintained for a while after the "official" release moves to a later branch.

So what do we do here on our end , do we stick with 275 ? or move over to 295 ? (we did briefly) , now do we go back there again ?

Best Regards

Milorad

mo.ucina at gmail

Mar 28, 2012, 2:28 AM

Re: Where to go with Nvidia Long Lived? [In reply to]

Hello Guys,

You are no doubt just as confused as me when looking at the NVIDIA
versioning . I was just at Nvidia Linux forum to see that the long liver
branch is now at 295.33 . This prompted me to ask a question :

"I have noticed over the last two releases , that the version numbers
for the official release is the same as Long Lived . Does anyone know
why this is , Is it that the long lived has been dropped , because I
have been using it and think it is a very good idea . Or is it just a
typo on the web page ?"

The response that I received from ArronP was :

Re: Why is official release same as Long Lived?
Right, the long-lived support branch moved forward from 275.* to 295.*.
295.* will continue to be maintained for a while after the "official"
release moves to a later branch.

So what do we do here on our end , do we stick with 275 ? or move over
to 295 ? (we did briefly) , now do we go back there again ?

Best Regards

Milorad

Axel.Thimm at ATrpms

Mar 28, 2012, 5:52 PM

Re: Where to go with Nvidia Long Lived? [In reply to]

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 08:28:53PM +1100, O&M Ugarcina wrote:
> Hello Guys,
>
> You are no doubt just as confused as me when looking at the NVIDIA
> versioning . I was just at Nvidia Linux forum to see that the long
> liver branch is now at 295.33 . This prompted me to ask a question :
>
> "I have noticed over the last two releases , that the version
> numbers for the official release is the same as Long Lived . Does
> anyone know why this is , Is it that the long lived has been dropped
> , because I have been using it and think it is a very good idea . Or
> is it just a typo on the web page ?"
>
> The response that I received from ArronP was :
>
> Re: Why is official release same as Long Lived?
> Right, the long-lived support branch moved forward from 275.* to
> 295.*. 295.* will continue to be maintained for a while after the
> "official" release moves to a later branch.
>

> So what do we do here on our end , do we stick with 275 ? or move
> over to 295 ? (we did briefly) , now do we go back there again ?

The nice thing about the way ATrpms packages nvidia is that the choice
is up to the user. Whatever works best for you! :)

> Best Regards
>
> Milorad

Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net