Mailing List Archive: atrpms: users

Problems with lirc-kmdl / lirc_serial for kernel

atrpms users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

steven at niceguyscomputer

Feb 5, 2009, 1:57 AM

Problems with lirc-kmdl / lirc_serial for kernel

lirc-kmdl-2.6.27.12-78.2.8.fc9-0.8.4a-81.fc9.i686

I Need helping finding out out where this kmdl is at? I have searched for a
src rpm with no luck :(

I am using lirc_serial and it will not run properly without it :-(

Axel.Thimm at ATrpms

Feb 5, 2009, 10:08 AM

Re: Problems with lirc-kmdl / lirc_serial for kernel [In reply to]

On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 02:57:50AM -0700, Steven wrote:
> lirc-kmdl-2.6.27.12-78.2.8.fc9-0.8.4a-81.fc9.i686
>

> I Need helping finding out out where this kmdl is at? I have searched for a
> src rpm with no luck :(
>
> I am using lirc_serial and it will not run properly without it :-(

F9 and its kernel should suffice, if not please outline the problem
and Jarod will either explain what to do or fix the Fedora kernel/lirc
package. Thanks!
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net

jarod at wilsonet

Feb 5, 2009, 10:27 AM

Re: Problems with lirc-kmdl / lirc_serial for kernel [In reply to]

On Thu, 2009-02-05 at 20:08 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 02:57:50AM -0700, Steven wrote:
> > lirc-kmdl-2.6.27.12-78.2.8.fc9-0.8.4a-81.fc9.i686
> >

> > I Need helping finding out out where this kmdl is at? I have searched for a
> > src rpm with no luck :(
> >
> > I am using lirc_serial and it will not run properly without it :-(
>
> F9 and its kernel should suffice, if not please outline the problem
> and Jarod will either explain what to do or fix the Fedora kernel/lirc
> package. Thanks!

Off the top of my head, I'd wager this might be the softcarrier bug that
has yet to be fixed in the Fedora kernels. Basically, the lirc_serial
default should be softcarrier=1, but its currently softcarrier=0. So if
you add an 'options lirc_serial softcarrier=1' to a modprobe config file
(say /etc/modprobe.d/lirc) and reload the module, I suspect you'll be in
better shape. Fixing the inversion is on my TODO list... If that's it,
please confirm... If not, holler loudly. I've got a few
lirc_serial-driven devices now that I can play with, though I've mostly
been working from a slightly newer driver tree (which is in rawhide
kernels).

--jarod

steven at niceguyscomputer

Feb 5, 2009, 12:07 PM

Re: Problems with lirc-kmdl / lirc_serial for kernel [In reply to]

Well thanks for the quick response. What's happening is without the kmdl
when I try to run the change_channel.sh script. The light on the serial ir
will blink but no ir emits and the channel will not change. All the other
stuff works fine, aka lirc in mythtv is working, perfectly fine. However the
lirc_serial is not. I have done a depmod -a and a modprobe lirc_serial and
that does not complain but it will not change the channel. If I roll back to
my old kernel 2.6.27.5-41.fc9 with the lirc-kmdl everything works fine and
lirc_serial functions and changes the channel? Thanks again for the quick
On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 02:57:50AM -0700, Steven wrote:
> lirc-kmdl-2.6.27.12-78.2.8.fc9-0.8.4a-81.fc9.i686
>

> I Need helping finding out out where this kmdl is at? I have searched for
> src rpm with no luck :(
>
> I am using lirc_serial and it will not run properly without it :-(

F9 and its kernel should suffice, if not please outline the problem
and Jarod will either explain what to do or fix the Fedora kernel/lirc
package. Thanks!
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net

jim at n0vh

Feb 6, 2009, 4:47 AM

Re: Problems with lirc-kmdl / lirc_serial for kernel [In reply to]

As an additional data point, I have seen the exact same issue since I
went to F10. The LED on the IR emitter blinks, but not channel change.

Jim

Steven wrote:
> Well thanks for the quick response. What's happening is without the kmdl
> when I try to run the change_channel.sh script. The light on the serial ir
> will blink but no ir emits and the channel will not change. All the other
> stuff works fine, aka lirc in mythtv is working, perfectly fine. However the
> lirc_serial is not. I have done a depmod -a and a modprobe lirc_serial and
> that does not complain but it will not change the channel. If I roll back to
> my old kernel 2.6.27.5-41.fc9 with the lirc-kmdl everything works fine and
> lirc_serial functions and changes the channel? Thanks again for the quick

Feb 10, 2009, 11:01 PM

Re: Problems with lirc-kmdl / lirc_serial for kernel [In reply to]

This has solved the problem for me. Thanks again for your help on this
issue.

Steven.