Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Apache: Users

Apache server on Ubuntu 13.10

 

 

Apache users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


jassigrewal91 at gmail

Nov 1, 2013, 9:15 PM

Post #1 of 14 (1832 views)
Permalink
Apache server on Ubuntu 13.10

Hello everyone.
Recently I have installed Apache web server on my Ubuntu 13.10, but
it's not working properly. Installed version in 2.4.6.
when I restart apache it gives following error.
http://tinypic.com/r/242ivih/5

Here is my default.conf file
http://pastebin.com/zZmxhaxG

Please help me to solve this error.

--

Jasvir Singh Grewal
Blog:http://jasvirsinghgrewal91.wordpress.com/

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe [at] httpd
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help [at] httpd


techienote.com at gmail

Nov 1, 2013, 9:44 PM

Post #2 of 14 (1823 views)
Permalink
Re: Apache server on Ubuntu 13.10 [In reply to]

On 2 Nov 2013 09:45, "Jasvir Singh" <jassigrewal91 [at] gmail> wrote:
>
> Hello everyone.
> Recently I have installed Apache web server on my Ubuntu 13.10, but
> it's not working properly. Installed version in 2.4.6.
> when I restart apache it gives following error.
> http://tinypic.com/r/242ivih/5
>
> Here is my default.conf file
> http://pastebin.com/zZmxhaxG
>
> Please help me to solve this error.
>
> --
>
> Jasvir Singh Grewal
> Blog:http://jasvirsinghgrewal91.wordpress.com/
>
>
Hi Jasvir,

It is showing virtualhost not closed properly. Can you check / provide
apache2.conf file.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe [at] httpd
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help [at] httpd
>


jassigrewal91 at gmail

Nov 1, 2013, 9:47 PM

Post #3 of 14 (1823 views)
Permalink
Re: Apache server on Ubuntu 13.10 [In reply to]

On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 10:14 AM, Vidyadhar <techienote.com [at] gmail> wrote:
> It is showing virtualhost not closed properly. Can you check / provide
> apache2.conf file.
Sure.
Here it is:
http://pastebin.com/T2z9m1xn

--

Jasvir Singh Grewal
Blog:http://jasvirsinghgrewal91.wordpress.com/

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe [at] httpd
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help [at] httpd


xfsgpr at hotmail

Nov 2, 2013, 12:55 PM

Post #4 of 14 (1812 views)
Permalink
Re: Apache server on Ubuntu 13.10 [In reply to]

On 02/11/2013 04:15, Jasvir Singh wrote:
> Hello everyone.
> Recently I have installed Apache web server on my Ubuntu 13.10, but
> it's not working properly. Installed version in 2.4.6.
> when I restart apache it gives following error.
> http://tinypic.com/r/242ivih/5
>
> Here is my default.conf file
> http://pastebin.com/zZmxhaxG
>
> Please help me to solve this error.
>


Make sure your first 5 lines look like this:


<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerAdmin webmaster [at] localhos
DocumentRoot /var/www/
</virtualhost>

Notice the last closing tag for vitualhost.

Good luck.




---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe [at] httpd
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help [at] httpd


make.myday2012 at yahoo

Nov 3, 2013, 4:35 PM

Post #5 of 14 (1810 views)
Permalink
Re: Re: Apache server on Ubuntu 13.10 [In reply to]

These are the errors I experience after I performed my upgdrade on Ubuntu from 13.4 to 13.10, which in effect upgraded my Apache from 2.2 to 2.4 - Apache no longer works:



On the browser, I get the following:

Error

Not Found: vhost: localhost /mywebapplication/

On command line I get the following when I try to start Apache:

* Starting web server Apache2
AH00558: apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.1.1. Set the 'ServerName' directive globally to suppress this message
(98)Address already in use: AH00072: make_sock: could not bind to address [::]:80
(98)Address already in use: AH00072: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
no listening sockets available, shutting down
AH00015: Unable to open logs
Action 'start' failed.
The Apache error log may have more information.


When I try to restart Apache instead, I get the following:

[Fri Nov 01 13:42:41.144233 2013] [core:warn] [pid 31751] AH00111: Config variable ${APACHE_LOCK_DIR} is not defined
[Fri Nov 01 13:42:41.144351 2013] [core:warn] [pid 31751] AH00111: Config variable ${APACHE_PID_FILE} is not defined
[Fri Nov 01 13:42:41.144402 2013] [core:warn] [pid 31751] AH00111: Config variable ${APACHE_RUN_USER} is not defined
[Fri Nov 01 13:42:41.144417 2013] [core:warn] [pid 31751] AH00111: Config variable ${APACHE_RUN_GROUP} is not defined
[Fri Nov 01 13:42:41.144447 2013] [core:warn] [pid 31751] AH00111: Config variable ${APACHE_LOG_DIR} is not defined
[Fri Nov 01 13:42:41.154570 2013] [core:warn] [pid 31751] AH00111: Config variable ${APACHE_LOG_DIR} is not defined
[Fri Nov 01 13:42:41.154822 2013] [core:warn] [pid 31751] AH00111: Config variable ${APACHE_LOG_DIR} is not defined
[Fri Nov 01 13:42:41.154849 2013] [core:warn] [pid 31751] AH00111: Config variable ${APACHE_LOG_DIR} is not defined
AH00526: Syntax error on line 74 of /etc/apache2/apache2.conf:
Invalid Mutex directory in argument file:${APACHE_LOCK_DIR}

Finally, when I type the full application path on my browser with the particular page name such as */index.html or */index.php, the browser brings up the page but php codes are not parsed.

I have gone through several forums and websites for s fix on the internet, non seem to have the right solution for the problem. I even uninstalled and re-installed Apache and PHP all to no avail. Can anyone help?




On Saturday, November 2, 2013 3:56 PM, Good Guy <xfsgpr [at] hotmail> wrote:

On 02/11/2013 04:15, Jasvir Singh wrote:
> Hello everyone.
> Recently I have installed Apache web server on my Ubuntu 13.10, but
> it's not working properly. Installed version in 2.4.6.
> when I restart apache it gives following error.
> http://tinypic.com/r/242ivih/5
>
> Here is my default.conf file
> http://pastebin.com/zZmxhaxG
>
> Please help me to solve this error.
>


Make sure your first 5 lines look like this:


<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerAdmin webmaster [at] localhos
    DocumentRoot /var/www/
</virtualhost>

Notice the last closing tag for vitualhost.

Good luck.





---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe [at] httpd
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help [at] httpd


jassigrewal91 at gmail

Nov 3, 2013, 9:16 PM

Post #6 of 14 (1810 views)
Permalink
Re: Re: Apache server on Ubuntu 13.10 [In reply to]

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 6:05 AM, Make Myday <make.myday2012 [at] yahoo> wrote:
> These are the errors I experience after I performed my upgdrade on Ubuntu

<snip>

> re-installed Apache and PHP all to no avail. Can anyone help?

Same as that of my case.
Still problem is unsolved.
Help needed.
--

Jasvir Singh Grewal
Blog:http://jasvirsinghgrewal91.wordpress.com/

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe [at] httpd
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help [at] httpd


covener at gmail

Nov 4, 2013, 4:19 AM

Post #7 of 14 (1807 views)
Permalink
Re: Re: Apache server on Ubuntu 13.10 [In reply to]

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 12:16 AM, Jasvir Singh <jassigrewal91 [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 6:05 AM, Make Myday <make.myday2012 [at] yahoo> wrote:
>> These are the errors I experience after I performed my upgdrade on Ubuntu
>
> <snip>
>
>> re-installed Apache and PHP all to no avail. Can anyone help?
>
> Same as that of my case.
> Still problem is unsolved.
> Help needed.
> --

The webserver is clearly running. You must be restarting it wrong in
that case, skipping over some ubuntu envvar files.

How do you restart?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe [at] httpd
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help [at] httpd


jassigrewal91 at gmail

Nov 4, 2013, 5:32 AM

Post #8 of 14 (1807 views)
Permalink
Re: Re: Apache server on Ubuntu 13.10 [In reply to]

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 5:49 PM, Eric Covener <covener [at] gmail> wrote:
> How do you restart?

$ sudo service apache2 restart

$ sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

--

Jasvir Singh Grewal
Blog:http://jasvirsinghgrewal91.wordpress.com/

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe [at] httpd
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help [at] httpd


make.myday2012 at yahoo

Nov 4, 2013, 7:13 AM

Post #9 of 14 (1818 views)
Permalink
Re: Re: Apache server on Ubuntu 13.10 [In reply to]

I too restart apache with : sudo service apache2 restart

I get the following:

 * Restarting web server apache2                                                AH00558: apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.1.1. Set the 'ServerName' directive globally to suppress this message
(98)Address already in use: AH00072: make_sock: could not bind to address [::]:80
(98)Address already in use: AH00072: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
no listening sockets available, shutting down
AH00015: Unable to open logs
Action 'start' failed.
The Apache error log may have more information.
                                                                         [fail]
 * The apache2 instance did not start within 20 seconds. Please read the log files to discover problems






On Monday, November 4, 2013 8:33 AM, Jasvir Singh <jassigrewal91 [at] gmail> wrote:

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 5:49 PM, Eric Covener <covener [at] gmail> wrote:
> How do you restart?

$ sudo service apache2 restart

$ sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

--

Jasvir Singh Grewal
Blog:http://jasvirsinghgrewal91.wordpress.com/


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe [at] httpd
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help [at] httpd


vincent at vinc17

Nov 6, 2013, 1:46 AM

Post #10 of 14 (1802 views)
Permalink
Re: Re: Apache server on Ubuntu 13.10 [In reply to]

On 2013-11-04 07:13:56 -0800, Make Myday wrote:
> (98)Address already in use: AH00072: make_sock: could not bind to address [::]:80
> (98)Address already in use: AH00072: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
> no listening sockets available, shutting down
> AH00015: Unable to open logs
> Action 'start' failed.
> The Apache error log may have more information.

Same problem, until I noticed that a tntnet web server was installed
during the upgrade to Ubuntu 13.10!!!

# apt-get remove --purge tntnet tntnet-runtime libtntnet11

solved the problem, so that I can now start apache2.

But the virtual host is no longer taken into account. It seems
that I need to do a few renames since conf files must now end
with ".conf".

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent [at] vinc17> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.net/>
100% accessible validated (X)HTML - Blog: <http://www.vinc17.net/blog/>
Work: CR INRIA - computer arithmetic / AriC project (LIP, ENS-Lyon)

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe [at] httpd
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help [at] httpd


stormy22 at stormy

Nov 6, 2013, 1:41 PM

Post #11 of 14 (1797 views)
Permalink
Re: Re: Apache server on Ubuntu 13.10 [In reply to]

At 10:46 AM 11/6/2013 +0100, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
>On 2013-11-04 07:13:56 -0800, Make Myday wrote:
> > (98)Address already in use: AH00072: make_sock: could not bind to
> address [::]:80
> > (98)Address already in use: AH00072: make_sock: could not bind to
> address 0.0.0.0:80
> > no listening sockets available, shutting down
> > AH00015: Unable to open logs
> > Action 'start' failed.
> > The Apache error log may have more information.
>
>Same problem, until I noticed that a tntnet web server was installed
>during the upgrade to Ubuntu 13.10!!!

Perhaps going a little off-topic (although tntnet apparently does disable
apache2), could you please be more specific?

Upgrading *from* what version? Server or desktop? As far as I can tell,
tntnet is either a very specific addition during install/upgrade, or can be
added with the app "Freemind" in a desktop environment. I can find no
mention of it being included in any server package (after a quick look at
13.10, but we only use the LTS in production.)

># apt-get remove --purge tntnet tntnet-runtime libtntnet11
>solved the problem, so that I can now start apache2.

Best - Paul


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe [at] httpd
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help [at] httpd


make.myday2012 at yahoo

Nov 6, 2013, 5:43 PM

Post #12 of 14 (1800 views)
Permalink
Re: Re: Apache server on Ubuntu 13.10 [In reply to]

After reading this message and the action taken, I remembered I had installed Freemind(Though, I only used it once) a long time ago when I still had the version before Ubuntu 13.04. I quickly booted up my laptop, and inspected Synaptic Package Manager to confirm that my computer indeed had "tntnet" installed - which it did.

I then proceeded to do $ sudo apt-get remove --purge tntnet tntnet-runtime libtntnet11

Then I restarted Apache2 with the following command:

$ sudo service apache2 restart

After that I got the following message which is just one, compared to the long list I use to get:


* Restarting web server apache2                                                AH00558: apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.1.1. Set the 'ServerName' directive globally to suppress this message

Finally, I opened up FireFox, and tried out some of the applications that were in my var/www directory using localhost/my-web-application, and voila! It all worked. Even PHP is now parsed.


Thank you Vincent Lefèvre for your discovery! This has resurrected my crippled development process. I was already considering Nginx for a replacement for Apache, though I dont know how successful that would have been.

As for Paul, I never had this problem under Ubuntu 13.04. I had Freemind on it before I upgraded to 13.10. I don't think its the upgrade that matters, I think the confilict is between tntnet and Apache 2.4.6.  I discovered from Synaptic Package Manager that "tntnet" is also a web server geared towards templating HTML with c++.

Does anyone have an answer for this:

AH00558: apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name,
using 127.0.1.1. Set the 'ServerName' directive globally to suppress
this message

  OR

Should I disregard it since Apache2 is already working?

Thank you again Vincent Lefèvre for your discovery! There was no article on any forum on the web has this solution.


Regards,
Osarobo Omokaro




On Wednesday, November 6, 2013 5:42 PM, Stormy <stormy22 [at] stormy> wrote:

At 10:46 AM 11/6/2013 +0100, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
>On 2013-11-04 07:13:56 -0800, Make Myday wrote:
> > (98)Address already in use: AH00072: make_sock: could not bind to
> address [::]:80
> > (98)Address already in use: AH00072: make_sock: could not bind to
> address 0.0.0.0:80
> > no listening sockets available, shutting down
> > AH00015: Unable to open logs
> > Action 'start' failed.
> > The Apache error log may have more information.
>
>Same problem, until I noticed that a tntnet web server was installed
>during the upgrade to Ubuntu 13.10!!!

Perhaps going a little off-topic (although tntnet apparently does disable
apache2), could you please be more specific?

Upgrading *from* what version? Server or desktop? As far as I can tell,
tntnet is either a very specific addition during install/upgrade, or can be
added with the app "Freemind" in a desktop environment. I can find no
mention of it being included in any server package (after a quick look at
13.10, but we only use the LTS in production.)

># apt-get remove --purge tntnet tntnet-runtime libtntnet11
>solved the problem, so that I can now start apache2.

Best - Paul



---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe [at] httpd
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help [at] httpd


vincent at vinc17

Nov 6, 2013, 6:15 PM

Post #13 of 14 (1795 views)
Permalink
Re: Re: Apache server on Ubuntu 13.10 [In reply to]

On 2013-11-06 17:41:41 -0400, Stormy wrote:
> At 10:46 AM 11/6/2013 +0100, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> >Same problem, until I noticed that a tntnet web server was installed
> >during the upgrade to Ubuntu 13.10!!!
>
> Perhaps going a little off-topic (although tntnet apparently does
> disable apache2), could you please be more specific?

tntnet doesn't disable apache2, but it seems to be started first
during boot, and as it listens to port 80, starting apache2 fails
with "Address already in use: AH00072: make_sock: could not bind
to address ...:80".

> Upgrading *from* what version?

Upgrading Ubuntu from 13.04 to 13.10.

> Server or desktop?

Server.

> As far as I can tell, tntnet is either a very specific addition
> during install/upgrade, or can be added with the app "Freemind" in a
> desktop environment. I can find no mention of it being included in
> any server package (after a quick look at 13.10, but we only use the
> LTS in production.)

I've tried to find what could have lead to this installation and
found that it occurred because
* apache2 (which was just a metapackage) wasn't installed;
* the installation came from mailgraph's Recommends on httpd;
* apt isn't smart enough to deduce that httpd would still be
provided without any additional installation.

I've just reported a bug on the Debian BTS (since I assume it has
the same problem):

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=728937

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent [at] vinc17> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.net/>
100% accessible validated (X)HTML - Blog: <http://www.vinc17.net/blog/>
Work: CR INRIA - computer arithmetic / AriC project (LIP, ENS-Lyon)

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe [at] httpd
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help [at] httpd


CGordon at aires

Nov 7, 2013, 5:53 AM

Post #14 of 14 (1792 views)
Permalink
Re: Re: Apache server on Ubuntu 13.10 [In reply to]

I believe you just need to follow the instruction given in the log,
though I have not seen you configuration/httpd.conf. You probably just
need to: "Set the 'ServerName' directive globally to suppress this
message". Do you have a value for this Directive set? If not use your
fqdn, perhaps others have a good reason not to do so but it woks for me.


--Chris

>>> Make Myday <make.myday2012 [at] yahoo> 11/6/2013 8:43 PM >>>
After reading this message and the action taken, I remembered I had
installed Freemind(Though, I only used it once) a long time ago when I
still had the version before Ubuntu 13.04. I quickly booted up my
laptop, and inspected Synaptic Package Manager to confirm that my
computer indeed had "tntnet" installed - which it did.

I then proceeded to do $ sudo apt-get remove --purge tntnet
tntnet-runtime libtntnet11

Then I restarted Apache2 with the following command:

$ sudo service apache2 restart

After that I got the following message which is just one, compared to
the long list I use to get:


* Restarting web server apache2
AH00558: apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully
qualified domain name, using 127.0.1.1. Set the 'ServerName' directive
globally to suppress this message

Finally, I opened up FireFox, and tried out some of the applications
that were in my var/www directory using localhost/my-web-application,
and voila! It all worked. Even PHP is now parsed.

Thank you Vincent Lefèvre for your discovery! This has resurrected my
crippled development process. I was already considering Nginx for a
replacement for Apache, though I dont know how successful that would
have been.

As for Paul, I never had this problem under Ubuntu 13.04. I had
Freemind on it before I upgraded to 13.10. I don't think its the upgrade
that matters, I think the confilict is between tntnet and Apache 2.4.6.
I discovered from Synaptic Package Manager that "tntnet" is also a web
server geared towards templating HTML with c++.

Does anyone have an answer for this:

AH00558: apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully
qualified domain name, using 127.0.1.1. Set the 'ServerName' directive
globally to suppress this message

OR

Should I disregard it since Apache2 is already working?

Thank you again Vincent Lefèvre for your discovery! There was no
article on any forum on the web has this solution.


Regards,
Osarobo Omokaro


On Wednesday, November 6, 2013 5:42 PM, Stormy <stormy22 [at] stormy>
wrote:

At 10:46 AM 11/6/2013 +0100, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
>On 2013-11-04 07:13:56 -0800, Make Myday wrote:
> > (98)Address already in use: AH00072: make_sock: could not bind to
> address [::]:80
> > (98)Address already in use: AH00072: make_sock: could not bind to
> address 0.0.0.0:80
> > no listening sockets available, shutting down
> > AH00015: Unable to open logs
> > Action 'start' failed.
> > The Apache error log may have more information.
>
>Same problem, until I noticed that a tntnet web server was installed
>during the upgrade to Ubuntu 13.10!!!

Perhaps going a little off-topic (although tntnet apparently does
disable
apache2), could you please be more specific?

Upgrading *from* what version? Server or desktop? As far as I can tell,

tntnet is either a very specific addition during install/upgrade, or
can be
added with the app "Freemind" in a desktop environment. I can find no
mention of it being included in any server package (after a quick look
at
13.10, but we only use the LTS in production.)

># apt-get remove --purge tntnet tntnet-runtime libtntnet11
>solved the problem, so that I can now start apache2.

Best - Paul


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe [at] httpd
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help [at] httpd




The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents
may contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if
this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately
alert the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including
any attachments. Any dissemination, distribution or other use of the
contents of this message by anyone other than the intended recipient is
strictly prohibited.

Apache users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.