Mailing List Archive: Apache: Users

httpd 2.4.2 not closing backend connection after proxypass ttl expires

David.Woodworth at mitchell

httpd 2.4.2 not closing backend connection after proxypass ttl expires

Hello,

I am running Apache 2.4.2 as a reverse proxy server. The backend IIS http server has a timeout of 120 seconds for the backend connection. I occasionally see 502 errors because the backend connection is closed by the IIS server and Apache still tries to use it. So I have added "smax=0 ttl=60" to my ProxyPass directive, but apache continues to use this connection after 60 secs of idle time.

I test with making 10 consecutive calls that return good. Apache re-uses the same connection as I would expect. I wait 90 seconds and attempt another connection. It still re-uses the same back-end connection that I would have expected to have timed-out by then. Has anyone else seen this behavior or know of a solution? Any suggestions appreciated.

Configured with: configure --with-mpm=prefork

Conf file: (ip and urls modified to hide)

ServerTokens OS
ServerRoot "/usr/local/apache"
PidFile run/httpd-repairctr.pid
Timeout 120
KeepAlive On
MaxKeepAliveRequests 100
KeepAliveTimeout 15

<IfModule prefork.c>
StartServers 1
MinSpareServers 1
MaxSpareServers 1
ServerLimit 2048
MaxClients 2048
MaxRequestsPerChild 4000
</IfModule>

<IfModule worker.c>
StartServers 2
MaxClients 150
MinSpareThreads 25
MaxSpareThreads 75
ThreadsPerChild 25
MaxRequestsPerChild 0
</IfModule>

Listen nn.nn.nn.nn:8087

LoadModule authn_file_module modules/mod_authn_file.so
LoadModule authn_core_module modules/mod_authn_core.so
LoadModule authz_host_module modules/mod_authz_host.so
LoadModule authz_groupfile_module modules/mod_authz_groupfile.so
LoadModule authz_user_module modules/mod_authz_user.so
LoadModule authz_core_module modules/mod_authz_core.so
LoadModule access_compat_module modules/mod_access_compat.so
LoadModule auth_basic_module modules/mod_auth_basic.so
LoadModule reqtimeout_module modules/mod_reqtimeout.so
LoadModule filter_module modules/mod_filter.so
LoadModule mime_module modules/mod_mime.so
LoadModule log_config_module modules/mod_log_config.so
LoadModule env_module modules/mod_env.so
LoadModule headers_module modules/mod_headers.so
LoadModule setenvif_module modules/mod_setenvif.so
LoadModule version_module modules/mod_version.so
LoadModule proxy_connect_module modules/mod_proxy_connect.so
LoadModule proxy_ftp_module modules/mod_proxy_ftp.so
LoadModule proxy_ajp_module modules/mod_proxy_ajp.so
LoadModule proxy_balancer_module modules/mod_proxy_balancer.so
LoadModule slotmem_shm_module modules/mod_slotmem_shm.so
LoadModule unixd_module modules/mod_unixd.so
LoadModule status_module modules/mod_status.so
LoadModule autoindex_module modules/mod_autoindex.so
LoadModule dir_module modules/mod_dir.so
LoadModule alias_module modules/mod_alias.so
LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so

<IfModule unixd_module>
User apache
Group apache
</IfModule>

ServerAdmin root [at] localhos

UseCanonicalName Off
DocumentRoot "/var/www/html"

<Directory />
Options FollowSymLinks
Require all denied
</Directory>

<Directory "/var/www/html">
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride None
Require all granted
</Directory>

<IfModule mod_userdir.c>
#
# UserDir is disabled by default since it can confirm the presence
# of a username on the system (depending on home directory
# permissions).
#
UserDir disable

#
# To enable requests to /~user/ to serve the user's public_html
# directory, remove the "UserDir disable" line above, and uncomment
# the following line instead:
#
#UserDir public_html

</IfModule>

DirectoryIndex index.html index.html.var

AccessFileName .htaccess

<Files ~ "^\.ht">
Require all denied
</Files>

TypesConfig /etc/mime.types

<IfModule mod_mime_magic.c>
MIMEMagicFile conf/magic
</IfModule>

HostnameLookups Off

LogLevel warn
LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\"" combined
LogFormat "%{Referer}i -> %U" referer
LogFormat "%{User-agent}i" agent
CustomLog logs/access_log combined
ErrorLog logs/error_log

ServerSignature On

Alias /icons/ "/usr/local/apache/icons/"

<Directory "/usr/local/apache/icons">
Options Indexes MultiViews
AllowOverride None
Require all granted
</Directory>

<IfModule mod_dav_fs.c>
# Location of the WebDAV lock database.
DAVLockDB /var/lib/dav/lockdb
</IfModule>

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/usr/local/apache/cgi-bin/"

<Directory "/usr/local/apache/cgi-bin">
AllowOverride None
Options None
Require all granted
</Directory>

IndexOptions FancyIndexing VersionSort NameWidth=* HTMLTable

ReadmeName README.html
HeaderName HEADER.html

IndexIgnore .??* *~ *# HEADER* README* RCS CVS *,v *,t

AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
AddType application/x-compress .Z
AddType application/x-gzip .gz .tgz
AddHandler type-map var
AddType text/html .shtml
AddOutputFilter INCLUDES .shtml

Alias /error/ "/var/www/error/"

<IfModule mod_negotiation.c>
<IfModule mod_include.c>
<Directory "/var/www/error">
AllowOverride None
Options IncludesNoExec
AddOutputFilter Includes html
AddHandler type-map var
Require all granted
LanguagePriority en es de fr
ForceLanguagePriority Prefer Fallback
</Directory>

BrowserMatch "Mozilla/2" nokeepalive
BrowserMatch "MSIE 4\.0b2;" nokeepalive downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0
BrowserMatch "RealPlayer 4\.0" force-response-1.0
BrowserMatch "Java/1\.0" force-response-1.0
BrowserMatch "JDK/1\.0" force-response-1.0

BrowserMatch "Microsoft Data Access Internet Publishing Provider" redirect-carefully
BrowserMatch "MS FrontPage" redirect-carefully
BrowserMatch "^WebDrive" redirect-carefully
BrowserMatch "^WebDAVFS/1.[0123]" redirect-carefully
BrowserMatch "^gnome-vfs/1.0" redirect-carefully
BrowserMatch "^XML Spy" redirect-carefully
BrowserMatch "^Dreamweaver-WebDAV-SCM1" redirect-carefully

<VirtualHost *:8087>
DocumentRoot /var/www/html/localhost.com
ServerName localhost.com
ErrorLog logs/localhost.com-error_log
CustomLog logs/localhost.com-access_log common
ProxyPass /keepalive.htm !
ProxyPass / http://localhost-vip.com/ smax=0 ttl=60
ProxyPass / http://localhost-vip.com/
ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost-vip.com/
ProxyPreserveHost on
RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^/api/(.*) http://localhost-vip.com/api/$1 [P,NC]
</VirtualHost>

David Woodworth
Mitchell International
Office: 858-368-7547

icicimov at gmail

Jun 1, 2012, 1:40 AM

Re: httpd 2.4.2 not closing backend connection after proxypass ttl expires [In reply to]

Why double ProxyPass?

ProxyPass / http://localhost-vip.com/smax=0 ttl=60

ProxyPass / http://localhost-vip.com/

ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost-vip.com/
On Jun 1, 2012 3:48 AM, "David Woodworth" <David.Woodworth [at] mitchell>
wrote:

> [...]
>
> <IfModule mod_negotiation.c>****
>
> <IfModule mod_include.c>****
>
> <Directory "/var/www/error">****
>
> AllowOverride None****
>
> Options IncludesNoExec****
>
> AddOutputFilter Includes html****
>
> AddHandler type-map var****
>
> Require all granted****
>
> LanguagePriority en es de fr****
>
> ForceLanguagePriority Prefer Fallback****
>
> </Directory>****
>
> ** **
>
> BrowserMatch "Mozilla/2" nokeepalive****
>
> BrowserMatch "MSIE 4\.0b2;" nokeepalive downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0**
> **
>
> BrowserMatch "RealPlayer 4\.0" force-response-1.0****
>
> BrowserMatch "Java/1\.0" force-response-1.0****
>
> BrowserMatch "JDK/1\.0" force-response-1.0****
>
> ** **
>
> BrowserMatch "Microsoft Data Access Internet Publishing Provider"

Jun 1, 2012, 7:12 AM

Sorry that is a typo in the conf file I inherited. It was removed during my testing.

DocumentRoot /var/www/html/localhost.com<http://localhost.com>
ServerName localhost.com<http://localhost.com>
ErrorLog logs/localhost.com-error_log
CustomLog logs/localhost.com-access_log common
ProxyPass /keepalive.htm !
ProxyPass / http://localhost-vip.com/ smax=0 ttl=60
ProxyPass / http://localhost-vip.com/
ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost-vip.com/