Mailing List Archive: Apache: Users

Help: accessing network files from apache server

janholgerkaul at googlemail

Help: accessing network files from apache server

Hello guys,

I'm very new to Apache so this topic might seem very trivial, but I have
been searching Google and the Documentation for a answer and couldn't find
one. So here is my problem. I'm trying to run a Apache server to host a
Webseite with PHP. The website should display Data which is stored on a
different computer in the network. So far, I wasn't able to access these
files.
I figured that the problem is related to Authorization, but Accessing files
from another computer isn't mentioned in the Documentation.

I would be very grateful if someone could help me with this problem.

Thanks a lot!

Jan

mark at catseye

Re: Help: accessing network files from apache server [In reply to]

On May 6, 2012 4:39 , Jan Kaul <janholgerkaul [at] googlemail> wrote:
> I'm trying to run a Apache server to host a Webseite with PHP. The
> website should display Data which is stored on a different computer in
> the network. So far, I wasn't able to access these files.
> I figured that the problem is related to Authorization, but Accessing
> files from another computer isn't mentioned in the Documentation.

There is nothing in the documentation because you don't need to do
anything special. Apache HTTP Server will serve files that are
accessible via the filesystem namespace on the system on which httpd is
running. So to serve files from another computer, all you have to do is
make those files available to the computer where you run http. There
are many ways to do this, but the main one would be to have the computer
on which the files reside act as a fileserver (using NFS, CIFS, or
another protocol) and have the computer on which you are running httpd
access ("mount") the filesystem being exported from the fileserver computer.

What leads you to believe that the problem is related to authorization?
We'll need more information in order to be able to help you. Needless
to say, if you are sharing files as described above, you'll need to
ensure that the user as which httpd is running has permissions to access
the files, but this is done the same way in which you ensure that httpd
has permission to access local files: set the owner of the files to be
the user as which httpd runs, or set the ACLs appropriately (if you are
using ACLs), and/or set the permission bits properly (if you're running
httpd under a Unix-like OS).

--
Mark Montague
mark [at] catseye