Mailing List Archive: Apache: Users

[ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache HTTP Server 2.4.1 Released

jim at jaguNET

Feb 21, 2012, 5:54 AM

[ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache HTTP Server 2.4.1 Released

Apache HTTP Server 2.4.1 Released

The Apache Software Foundation and the Apache HTTP Server Project are
pleased to announce the GA release of version 2.4.1 of the Apache HTTP
Server. This version of Apache HTTP Server is the first GA release of
the new 2.4.x branch.

Apache HTTP Server 2.4 provides a number of improvements and
enhancements over the 2.2 version. A listing and description of these
features is available via:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/new_features_2_4.html

Please see the CHANGES_2.4 file, linked from the download page, for a
full list of changes.

We consider this release to be the best version of Apache HTTP Server
available, and encourage users of all prior versions to upgrade.
Apache HTTP Server 2.4.1 is available for download from:

http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi

This release requires the Apache Portable Runtime (APR) version 1.4.x
and APR-Util version 1.4.x. The APR libraries must be upgraded for all
features of httpd to operate correctly.

This release builds on and extends the Apache 2.2 API. Modules written
for Apache 2.2 will need to be recompiled in order to run with Apache
2.4, and may require minimal source code changes.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/developer/new_api_2_4.html

A summary of all of the security vulnerabilities addressed in this and
earlier releases is available:

http://httpd.apache.org/security/vulnerabilities_24.html

Important:
Windows users: AcceptFilter None has replaced Win32DisableAcceptEx
and the feature appears to have interoperability issues with mod_ssl.
Apache 2.4.1 may not yet be suitable for all Windows servers. There
is not yet a Windows binary distribution of httpd 2.4, but this is
expected to be remedied soon as various dependencies graduate from
beta to GA.

xfsgpr at hotmail

Feb 21, 2012, 6:16 PM

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache HTTP Server 2.4.1 Released [In reply to]

Thanks for the info. Windows binaries are still not available so
wondered if these would be ready tomorrow. Also, do I need to make any
changes to my configuration file or can I use the same one as the one
currently on 2.2.22.

Thanks again.

Jim Jagielski wrote:
> Apache HTTP Server 2.4.1 Released
>
> The Apache Software Foundation and the Apache HTTP Server Project are
> pleased to announce the GA release of version 2.4.1 of the Apache HTTP
> Server. This version of Apache HTTP Server is the first GA release of
> the new 2.4.x branch.

wrowe at rowe-clan

Feb 21, 2012, 9:35 PM

Re: Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache HTTP Server 2.4.1 Released [In reply to]

On 2/21/2012 8:16 PM, DW wrote:

> Thanks for the info. Windows binaries are still not available so
> wondered if these would be ready tomorrow.

Nope. Although httpd-2.4 is 'baked', the dependent libraries expat 2.0.2,
zlib 1.2.7, openssl 1.0.1 aren't yet released. Once that's done I expect
to move some binaries up to the usual site. Others have binaries available
for download that are externally maintained, and you might want to have a
look at those if you are impatient to pick up 2.4.1.

Crossposting to ofbiz seemed awfully odd(?) Maybe you had meant to
crosspost to dev [at] http?

mosheb at perfectomobile

RE: Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache HTTP Server 2.4.1 Released [In reply to]

Hi,

I am also waiting for the Windows binaries for httpd-2.4.1. I saw that Expat 2.1.0 was released, zlib 1.2.7 was not yet released and OpenSSL 1.0.1 was released.

I was wondering if there is an ETA for the Windows binaries? Specifically (assuming we are OK with Expat 2.1.0), is there any idea if zlib 1.2.7 is coming soon?

Thanks,
Moshe.

> Thanks for the info. Windows binaries are still not available so
> wondered if these would be ready tomorrow.

Nope. Although httpd-2.4 is 'baked', the dependent libraries expat 2.0.2, zlib 1.2.7, openssl 1.0.1 aren't yet released. Once that's done I expect to move some binaries up to the usual site. Others have binaries available for download that are externally maintained, and you might want to have a look at those if you are impatient to pick up 2.4.1.

Crossposting to ofbiz seemed awfully odd(?) Maybe you had meant to crosspost to dev [at] http?

The information contained in this message is proprietary to the sender, protected from disclosure, and may be privileged. The information is intended to be conveyed only to the designated recipient(s) of the message. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, use, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you.
ТХFV7V'67&&RRâW6W'2V7V'67&&TGGB6R&pФf"FFF6G2RâW6W'2ֆVGGB6R&p

lester at lsces

Re: Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache HTTP Server 2.4.1 Released [In reply to]

Moshe Ben-Shoham wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am also waiting for the Windows binaries for httpd-2.4.1. I saw that Expat 2.1.0 was released, zlib 1.2.7 was not yet released and OpenSSL 1.0.1 was released.
>
> I was wondering if there is an ETA for the Windows binaries? Specifically (assuming we are OK with Expat 2.1.0), is there any idea if zlib 1.2.7 is coming soon?

Starter for ten
http://www.anindya.com/apache-http-server-2-4-1-x86-and-x64-windows-installers/

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL

xfsgpr at hotmail

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache HTTP Server 2.4.1 Released [In reply to]

Lester Caine wrote:
> Moshe Ben-Shoham wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am also waiting for the Windows binaries for httpd-2.4.1. I saw that
>> Expat 2.1.0 was released, zlib 1.2.7 was not yet released and OpenSSL
>> 1.0.1 was released.
>>
>> I was wondering if there is an ETA for the Windows binaries?
>> Specifically (assuming we are OK with Expat 2.1.0), is there any idea
>> if zlib 1.2.7 is coming soon?
>
> Starter for ten
> http://www.anindya.com/apache-http-server-2-4-1-x86-and-x64-windows-installers/

The link is not official download site so one should be wary of
downloading anything from such sites. It is better to compile the
source code yourself so that you know nothing else is embedded/bundled
in the binaries.

--
Good Guy
Website: http://mytaxsite.co.uk

lester at lsces

Re: Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache HTTP Server 2.4.1 Released [In reply to]

Good Guy wrote:
> Lester Caine wrote:
>> > Moshe Ben-Shoham wrote:
>> >
>> > Starter for ten
>> > http://www.anindya.com/apache-http-server-2-4-1-x86-and-x64-windows-installers/
>> >
> The link is not official download site so one should be wary of
> downloading anything from such sites. It is better to compile the
> source code yourself so that you know nothing else is embedded/bundled
> in the binaries.

Anindya has been providing 64 bit builds of PHP for some time and added the
Apache builds that were compatible. Given the amount of work needed to set up a
build system and keep it up to date, we are grateful that HE donates the time to
do it! Since these are not provided by 'official' channels nowadays at all :(

My own build system is broken again so I've not been able to run my own builds
and I certainly don't have hours to waste trying to fix the problems myself.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL