Mailing List Archive: Apache: Users

Getting "Error reading header" messages in error_log

pravesh.rai at gmail

Dec 16, 2009, 4:06 AM

Getting "Error reading header" messages in error_log

Hi,

We are getting either of the following error messages in error_log:

[error] [client ::1] client sent HTTP/1.1 request without hostname
(see RFC2616 section 14.23): /proxy/ssllogin, referer: <URL>

Or

[error] [client 127.0.0.1] request failed: error reading the headers,
referer: <URL>

& ultimately gets "Http 400 Page Cannot be Displayed" error page.

Further digging into the problem shows that even ap_rgetline_core()
[protocols.c] reads the HTTP header data wrongly. Some of the header
fields are either missing or overrun to other fields. Do anybody have
any idea on this ?

FYI, we are using Apache 2.2.6, PHP 5.2.9 & Openssl 0.9.8k for
building web-server.

Thanks & Regards,
Pravesh

krist.vanbesien at gmail

Jan 4, 2010, 7:29 AM

Re: Getting "Error reading header" messages in error_log [In reply to]

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 1:06 PM, Pravesh Rai <pravesh.rai [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are getting either of the following error messages in error_log:
>
> [error] [client ::1] client sent HTTP/1.1 request without hostname
> (see RFC2616 section 14.23): /proxy/ssllogin, referer: <URL>
>
> Or
>
> [error] [client 127.0.0.1] request failed: error reading the headers,
> referer: <URL>
>
> & ultimately gets "Http 400 Page Cannot be Displayed" error page.

That looks like a client that is not respecting the HTTP/1.1 protocol.

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien [at] gmail
krist [at] vanbesien