Mailing List Archive: Apache: Users

How to uninstall Apache.

l0f33t at yahoo

Aug 7, 2003, 8:03 PM

How to uninstall Apache.

Hello,

I didn't find anything in the FAQ's about uninstalling Apache. Since I'm somewhat of a noobian to
linux I wanted to make sure that I'm doing the right thing. I have a couple of questions first.
Here are the details:

I'm running Linux/Mandrake 9.0
uname -a
Kernel version: 2.4.19-16mdk

Apache files and modules installed:
rpm -qa | grep apache
apache-modules-1.3.26-6mdk
apache-mod_perl-1.3.26_1.27-7mdk
apache-suexec-1.3.26-2mdk
apache-common-1.3.26-6mdk
apache-conf-1.3.26-3mdk
apache-manual-1.3.26-6mdk
apache-1.3.26-6mdk

I'm brand new to Apache and web servers in general. I want to learn how to set up my own web site
using Apache as the web server.
Because I'm somewhat new to Linux/Unix and the Apache web server I decided to install Apache using
RPMDrake which basically installs the files and directories and everything for me.

?1)
The problem is that when I follow any tutorials out on the web concerning the setup, installation
and configuration of Apache, the path conventions used don't even come close to where my Apache
files and directiories are located.
For instance, the tutorials always reference /usr/local/apache or /usr/local/bin/apache. Basically
being a noob I'm having a hard time following and tutorials because the paths for files and
directories concerning Apache are in totally different places/paths, and don't have the same names
compaired to how this was installed on my PC,using rpm. This is what my paths look like:

rpm -qil apache-conf-1.3.26-3mdk
/etc/httpd/conf/addon-modules
/etc/httpd/conf/apache-mime.types
/etc/httpd/conf/commonhttpd.conf
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd-perl.conf
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
/etc/httpd/conf/magic
/etc/httpd/conf/magic.default
/etc/httpd/conf/vhosts
/etc/httpd/conf/vhosts/DynamicVhosts.conf
/etc/httpd/conf/vhosts/Vhosts.conf
/etc/httpd/conf/vhosts/VirtualHomePages.conf
/etc/httpd/extramodules
/etc/logrotate.d
/etc/logrotate.d/apache
/etc/rc.d
/etc/rc.d/init.d
/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd
/usr/lib/apache-extramodules
/usr/sbin/AESctl
/usr/sbin/advxaddmod
/usr/sbin/advxdelmod
/usr/sbin/advxfixconf
/usr/sbin/advxlogserverstatus
/usr/sbin/advxsplitlogfile
/usr/sbin/apachectl
/usr/sbin/apachectl-perl
/usr/share/doc/README.apache-conf
/var/www/html/addon-modules/.htaccess
/var/www/html/addon-modules/HOWTO_get_modules.html
/var/www/html/index.shtml
/var/www/html/optim.html
/var/www/html/platform.html
/var/www/icons/apacheicon.gif
/var/www/icons/logo.gif
/var/www/icons/medbutton.png
/var/www/icons/stamp.gif

and

apache-1.3.26-6mdk
/usr/sbin/httpd
/usr/share/doc/apache-1.3.26
/usr/share/doc/apache-1.3.26/README.ADVX

If I were to uninstall Apache via RPMDrake and reinstall using source code via "./configure",
"make" & "make install", would this place files/directories/modules into the same paths that are
described in the tutorials online?

?2) (important)
If installed from the source and wanted to uninstall at some point, what would be the proper way
to uninstall Apache and all of its dependentcies?

Any words of wisdom are appreaciated.

Thanks,
Joshua Banks

Scott at barbourcentral

Aug 7, 2003, 8:29 PM

RE: How to uninstall Apache. [In reply to]

Joshua,

I completely understand your frustration with the rpms. There is some
software that I allow to be done with the installation RPMS and some
that I compile from source--apache, bind, dhcp, and php being just a few
of them.

My experience has been that the best way to do this to do a custom
installation and chose not to install the rpm for apache. If you have
already installed and or chose not to redo the install, then
uninstalling the rpm and compiling from source will work fine.
Compiling yourself will bring you up to speed in the Linux/Unix world a
lot faster.

Good luck

Scott

l0f33t at yahoo

Aug 7, 2003, 8:58 PM

RE: How to uninstall Apache. [In reply to]

Thanks for the feedback Scott.

Can you tell me what all needs to be done to uninstall Apache if installed from the source?

Joshua Banks
--- Scott Barbour <Scott [at] barbourcentral> wrote:
> Joshua,
>
> I completely understand your frustration with the rpms. There is some
> software that I allow to be done with the installation RPMS and some
> that I compile from source--apache, bind, dhcp, and php being just a few
> of them.
>
> My experience has been that the best way to do this to do a custom
> installation and chose not to install the rpm for apache. If you have
> already installed and or chose not to redo the install, then
> uninstalling the rpm and compiling from source will work fine.
> Compiling yourself will bring you up to speed in the Linux/Unix world a
> lot faster.
>
> Good luck
>
> Scott

> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help [at] httpd

tom at syroidmanor

Aug 7, 2003, 9:06 PM

RE: How to uninstall Apache. [In reply to]

Joshua,

--On Thursday, August 07, 2003 20:58:14 -0700 Joshua Banks
<l0f33t [at] yahoo> wrote:

> needs to be done to uninstall Apache if installed from the source?

To build:
[cd to root of uncompressed Apache source directory]
./configure --help (note options displayed)
./configure [options here]
make
make install

To uninstall:
[cd to root of Apache source directory]
make uninstall

pagedev1 at speakeasy

Aug 7, 2003, 10:09 PM

Re: How to uninstall Apache. [In reply to]

Josuha,

I just went through the same issue. I was told (have not tested it yet) but all you
need to do is make uninstall and that should work. Let me know if it does or does
not work.

Thank you.

l0f33t at yahoo

Aug 7, 2003, 10:10 PM

RE: How to uninstall Apache. [In reply to]

Thanks for the reply Tom.

Appreciate it.

Thanks,
Joshua Banks

Re: How to uninstall Apache. [In reply to]

Never mind ignore my post... Sorry to the list..

Aug 7, 2003, 10:21 PM

Re: How to uninstall Apache. [In reply to]

Thanks Page,

I will test this tonight and see how it goes.

Joshua Banks

l0f33t at yahoo

Aug 8, 2003, 7:27 AM

RE: How to uninstall Apache. [In reply to]

When you say source directory do you "src"?

Thanks,
JBanks
--- Tom Syroid <tom [at] syroidmanor> wrote:
> Joshua,
>
> --On Thursday, August 07, 2003 20:58:14 -0700 Joshua Banks
> <l0f33t [at] yahoo> wrote:
>
> > needs to be done to uninstall Apache if installed from the source?
>
> To build:
> [cd to root of uncompressed Apache source directory]
> ./configure --help (note options displayed)
> ./configure [options here]
> make
> make install
>
> To uninstall:
> [cd to root of Apache source directory]
> make uninstall

> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help [at] httpd

tom at syroidmanor

Aug 8, 2003, 11:42 AM

RE: How to uninstall Apache. [In reply to]

First up, check out the "official" install docs on apache.org:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/install.html

To answer your question, source directroy is the directory you've
uncompress your tar/gz file to. On my systems, I user /usr/local/src for
this purpose. So source code would be in
/usr/local/src/httpd.x.x*[whatever].

/tom

--On Friday, August 08, 2003 07:27:23 -0700 Joshua Banks <l0f33t [at] yahoo>