Mailing List Archive: Apache: Docs

Comment system, take three

Apache docs RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

rumble at cord

Jul 6, 2012, 7:51 AM

Comment system, take three

As Professor Farnsworth would say; Great news everyone!

Some time ago, I proposed we use a comment system for our trunk branch,
that I had been developing for our site. This system has been tested
during the entire month of June, and received 11 actual comments (not
counting the 110 test comments made by committers) and no spam
whatsoever. The serious comments have already led to documentation
changes, which I'd like to say is a success, considering how few people
actually read and use our trunk docs.

The comment system has now been adopted by the ASF and is available at
https://comments.apache.org - the documentation has already been changed
to use this new service instead of the old site.

Some time soon, this will be hooked up to LDAP, enabling any Apache
committer to log on and moderate comments. The wiki article at
http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/DocsCommentSystem has been updated accordingly.

Once LDAP is set up (hopefully some time this weekend), I will propose a
vote to add the comment system to both the 2.2 and the 2.4 branch of our
documentation, so please read up on the proposal (in the wiki article)
and try out posting comments and moderating them (once LDAP is set up).

If you can't wait for committer authentication, you can still manually
create an account and I can make you a moderator. This will only last
till LDAP is set up, at which point you will have to use your committer
id/password.

So, read, test, manage, and I'll propose a vote as soon as we've got the
system all set.

With regards,
Daniel.