Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Apache: Dev

[VOTE] Bundle apr/apu with 2.4.x

 

 

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All Apache dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


wrowe at rowe-clan

Feb 6, 2012, 9:51 PM

Post #26 of 30 (405 views)
Permalink
Re: [discuss] Bundle apr/apu with 2.4.x [In reply to]

On 2/6/2012 5:19 PM, Daniel Ruggeri wrote:
> On 2/5/2012 1:10 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
>> How about
>>
>> 1. deprecating --with-included-apr syntax for...
>>
>> 2. --build-apr=/path syntax, default of '--build-apr=srcdir/apr' where
>> and when srclib/apr exists. If they would rather check out httpd, apr
>> and apr-util in parallel, it will be easy enough to choose something
>> like --build-apr=../apr-1.4.5
>
> Can we be sure that the configure script will continue to pass
> parameters as it does today to these "sub" configure scripts, too?

I thought that would be implicit ;-)

> Also (dare I ask), but where did we end up on the PCRE discussion?

You have dared. I don't know. Perhaps follow the same pragma as above?


mamfelt at gmail

Feb 6, 2012, 11:47 PM

Post #27 of 30 (409 views)
Permalink
Re: [discuss] Bundle apr/apu with 2.4.x [In reply to]

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 6:51 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. <wrowe [at] rowe-clan>wrote:

> On 2/6/2012 5:19 PM, Daniel Ruggeri wrote:
> > On 2/5/2012 1:10 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
> >> How about
> >>
> >> 1. deprecating --with-included-apr syntax for...
> >>
> >> 2. --build-apr=/path syntax, default of '--build-apr=srcdir/apr' where
> >> and when srclib/apr exists. If they would rather check out httpd,
> apr
> >> and apr-util in parallel, it will be easy enough to choose
> something
> >> like --build-apr=../apr-1.4.5
> >
>

For what my vote is worth (nada I expect ;) , as I do not 'contribute',
just package):
+1 - get it done

re: APR - as far as packaging is concerned, I am assuming it will not be
included and and making a build/aix /* scripts for both apr and httpd. The
--build-apr seems good, but no "default directory" or you will just get
people saying the download is not complete. e.g., you dont have to install
pcre, zlib, whatever in srclib/* to get httpd to build. Let configure look
in standard locations (not old, i.e. srclib/* standards, but new ones!
(whatevr the project owner decides) just as configure does for everything
else.
However, some extra logic in configure to also look at the LAYOUT being
used could be useful (or does it do that already?)

re: PCRE - from my test packaging it seems the decision was made. configure
fails (for 2.4.0 bundles) without it being installed 'somewhere'. also off
topic with regard to vote on apr I would guess. However, if you are going
to do, then do it. Just make sure there is a test in configure that a
minimum level is installed.

> Can we be sure that the configure script will continue to pass
> > parameters as it does today to these "sub" configure scripts, too?
>
> I thought that would be implicit ;-)
>
> > Also (dare I ask), but where did we end up on the PCRE discussion?
>
> You have dared. I don't know. Perhaps follow the same pragma as above?
>
>


mamfelt at gmail

Feb 7, 2012, 2:30 AM

Post #28 of 30 (410 views)
Permalink
Re: [discuss] Bundle apr/apu with 2.4.x [In reply to]

oops - should have been:

-1: get it done (i.e. remove)


For what my vote is worth (nada I expect ;) , as I do not 'contribute',
> just package):
> +1 - get it done
>
>


jim at jaguNET

Feb 7, 2012, 5:15 AM

Post #29 of 30 (407 views)
Permalink
Re: [discuss] Bundle apr/apu with 2.4.x [In reply to]

On Feb 7, 2012, at 12:51 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:

> On 2/6/2012 5:19 PM, Daniel Ruggeri wrote:
>> On 2/5/2012 1:10 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
>>> How about
>>>
>>> 1. deprecating --with-included-apr syntax for...
>>>
>>> 2. --build-apr=/path syntax, default of '--build-apr=srcdir/apr' where
>>> and when srclib/apr exists. If they would rather check out httpd, apr
>>> and apr-util in parallel, it will be easy enough to choose something
>>> like --build-apr=../apr-1.4.5
>>
>> Can we be sure that the configure script will continue to pass
>> parameters as it does today to these "sub" configure scripts, too?
>
> I thought that would be implicit ;-)
>

Perfect!

As soon as Bill completes the above, I think we can progress
with discussions re: T&R 2.4.1.


wrowe at rowe-clan

Feb 7, 2012, 12:26 PM

Post #30 of 30 (403 views)
Permalink
Re: [discuss] Bundle apr/apu with 2.4.x [In reply to]

On 2/7/2012 7:15 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>
> On Feb 7, 2012, at 12:51 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
>
>> On 2/6/2012 5:19 PM, Daniel Ruggeri wrote:
>>> On 2/5/2012 1:10 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
>>>> How about
>>>>
>>>> 1. deprecating --with-included-apr syntax for...
>>>>
>>>> 2. --build-apr=/path syntax, default of '--build-apr=srcdir/apr' where
>>>> and when srclib/apr exists. If they would rather check out httpd, apr
>>>> and apr-util in parallel, it will be easy enough to choose something
>>>> like --build-apr=../apr-1.4.5
>>>
>>> Can we be sure that the configure script will continue to pass
>>> parameters as it does today to these "sub" configure scripts, too?
>>
>> I thought that would be implicit ;-)
>
> As soon as Bill completes the above, I think we can progress
> with discussions re: T&R 2.4.1.

What was consensus? I'm not really sure I read one; could you
tally the discussion Jim? --build-apr only makes sense if we
strip out 'builtin' srclib/apr.

I was making a suggestion to Kaspar, though :) Spending my time
in the morass of 2.0.65 so that we can T&R the vulnerable code
and call it 'done, final, gone' (or nearly so). That, and getting
patches into mod_ftp and tagging both the long neglected ftp and
fcgid modules for votes. fcgid has some substantial fixes already
in tree.

My 2.4.x time is given over to solving disconnect/reuse socket/
ssl timeout flukes on windows right now, because I really want
to fix any remaining edge cases. I do love hacking at autoconf
magic (heh heh), but can't get to it this moment.

If anyone else wants to play in the .m4 code, please 'steal this
idea' :) Otherwise I am happy to do it, more on a timetable of
early next week though.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All Apache dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.