Mailing List Archive: Apache: Dev

remove mod_heart* from 2.4?(was: 2.4.0 GA This week?)

Apache dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

sf at sfritsch

Jan 2, 2012, 2:06 PM

On Monday 02 January 2012, Takashi Sato wrote:
> mod_heartbeat
> mod_heartmonitor
> mod_lbmethod_heartbeat
>
> These have no documentation.
> Is that OK we release GA with no docs modules?

I am +0.5 for removing them from 2.4.0. They can be re-added when
someone writes the docs. Other opinions?

takashi at lans-tv

Jan 2, 2012, 4:47 PM

Re: remove mod_heart* from 2.4?(was: 2.4.0 GA This week?) [In reply to]

On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 23:06:35 +0100
Stefan Fritsch <sf [at] sfritsch> wrote:

> On Monday 02 January 2012, Takashi Sato wrote:
> > mod_heartbeat
> > mod_heartmonitor
> > mod_lbmethod_heartbeat
> >
> > These have no documentation.
> > Is that OK we release GA with no docs modules?
>
> I am +0.5 for removing them from 2.4.0. They can be re-added when
> someone writes the docs. Other opinions?

+1 for removing

IMHO these modules are not tested well.
Who can test the modules with no docs?

covener at gmail

Jan 2, 2012, 5:09 PM

Re: remove mod_heart* from 2.4?(was: 2.4.0 GA This week?) [In reply to]

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 7:47 PM, Takashi Sato <takashi [at] lans-tv> wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 23:06:35 +0100
> Stefan Fritsch <sf [at] sfritsch> wrote:
>
>> On Monday 02 January 2012, Takashi Sato wrote:
>> > mod_heartbeat
>> > mod_heartmonitor
>> > mod_lbmethod_heartbeat
>> >
>> > These have no documentation.
>> > Is that OK we release GA with no docs modules?
>>
>> I am +0.5 for removing them from 2.4.0. They can be re-added when
>> someone writes the docs. Other opinions?
>
> +1 for removing
>
> IMHO these modules are not tested well.
> Who can test the modules with no docs?

I will crank out docs for these tomorrow and ping paul to review.

--
Eric Covener
covener [at] gmail

sctemme at apache

Jan 2, 2012, 10:12 PM

Re: remove mod_heart* from 2.4?(was: 2.4.0 GA This week?) [In reply to]

On Jan 2, 2012, at 8:09 PM, Eric Covener wrote:

> I will crank out docs for these tomorrow and ping paul to review.

Thank you for getting this going: it seems to be the most constructive way to resolve this issue.

S.

--
sctemme [at] apache http://www.temme.net/sander/
PGP FP: FC5A 6FC6 2E25 2DFD 8007 EE23 9BB8 63B0 F51B B88A

View my availability: http://tungle.me/sctemme

gls at gknw

Jan 3, 2012, 12:22 AM

Re: remove mod_heart* from 2.4?(was: 2.4.0 GA This week?) [In reply to]

Since I have been the most vocal about this
watchdog/hearmonitor/heartbeats on windows ... I should chime in.
I can tell someone what each do (as far as I have seen). There are,
minimal docvs on all but watchdog (which is required for a couple) ...
but ... look at my emails in the past ... am hardly the one to write
docs :)

On 1/2/2012 10:12 PM, Sander Temme wrote:
> On Jan 2, 2012, at 8:09 PM, Eric Covener wrote:
>
>> I will crank out docs for these tomorrow and ping paul to review.
>
> Thank you for getting this going: it seems to be the most constructive way to resolve this issue.
>
> S.

mturk at apache

Feb 3, 2012, 6:45 AM

Re: remove mod_heart* from 2.4?(was: 2.4.0 GA This week?) [In reply to]

On 01/03/2012 09:22 AM, Gregg L. Smith wrote:
> Since I have been the most vocal about this watchdog/hearmonitor/heartbeats on windows ... I should chime in.

Is the issue still present and what the issue actually is.
I have watchdog/hearmonitor/heartbeat working on windows
using the current svn 2.4.x branch.

If you can share some light what's broken I can try to fix that.

Regards
--
^TM

wrowe at rowe-clan

Feb 3, 2012, 9:35 AM

Re: remove mod_heart* from 2.4?(was: 2.4.0 GA This week?) [In reply to]

On 1/3/2012 2:22 AM, Gregg L. Smith wrote:
> Since I have been the most vocal about this watchdog/hearmonitor/heartbeats on windows ...
> I should chime in.
> I can tell someone what each do (as far as I have seen). There are, minimal docvs on all
> but watchdog (which is required for a couple) ... but ... look at my emails in the past
> ... am hardly the one to write docs :)

More to the point, what do they interact with?

What convention or protocol are they implemented with?

Let's start with the basics; what do they add to this MB's large tarball
to benefit Joe User?

gls at gknw

Feb 3, 2012, 10:46 AM

Re: remove mod_heart* from 2.4?(was: 2.4.0 GA This week?) [In reply to]

Mladen,

It is fixed, r1210449 did the trick. Once that extra Win32 pid check was
removed, the watchdog takes steps, heatbeat beats & heartmonitor
monitors. I thought I confirmed this back then, sorry if I didn't.

Regards,

Gregg

On 2/3/2012 6:45 AM, Mladen Turk wrote:
> On 01/03/2012 09:22 AM, Gregg L. Smith wrote:
>> Since I have been the most vocal about this
>> watchdog/hearmonitor/heartbeats on windows ... I should chime in.
>
> Is the issue still present and what the issue actually is.
> I have watchdog/hearmonitor/heartbeat working on windows
> using the current svn 2.4.x branch.
>
> If you can share some light what's broken I can try to fix that.
>

> Regards

gls at gknw

Feb 3, 2012, 10:51 AM

Re: remove mod_heart* from 2.4?(was: 2.4.0 GA This week?) [In reply to]

On 2/3/2012 9:35 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
> On 1/3/2012 2:22 AM, Gregg L. Smith wrote:
>> Since I have been the most vocal about this watchdog/hearmonitor/heartbeats on windows ...
>> I should chime in.
>> I can tell someone what each do (as far as I have seen). There are, minimal docvs on all
>> but watchdog (which is required for a couple) ... but ... look at my emails in the past
>> ... am hardly the one to write docs :)
> More to the point, what do they interact with?
>
> What convention or protocol are they implemented with?
>
> Let's start with the basics; what do they add to this MB's large tarball
> to benefit Joe User?

a way of monitoring a cluster of servers and opening another way of
balancing the load (lb_meathod_byheartbeat).

This is what I see when I look at the bundle.

rainer.jung at kippdata

Feb 3, 2012, 12:50 PM

Re: remove mod_heart* from 2.4?(was: 2.4.0 GA This week?) [In reply to]

On 03.02.2012 19:51, Gregg Smith wrote:
> On 2/3/2012 9:35 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
>> On 1/3/2012 2:22 AM, Gregg L. Smith wrote:
>>> Since I have been the most vocal about this
>>> watchdog/hearmonitor/heartbeats on windows ...
>>> I should chime in.
>>> I can tell someone what each do (as far as I have seen). There are,
>>> minimal docvs on all
>>> but watchdog (which is required for a couple) ... but ... look at my
>>> emails in the past
>>> ... am hardly the one to write docs :)
>> More to the point, what do they interact with?
>>
>> What convention or protocol are they implemented with?
>>
>> Let's start with the basics; what do they add to this MB's large tarball
>> to benefit Joe User?
>>
> a way of monitoring a cluster of servers and opening another way of
> balancing the load (lb_meathod_byheartbeat).
>
> This is what I see when I look at the bundle.

And some basic docs have been added in the meantime.

Rainer

wrowe at rowe-clan

Feb 3, 2012, 3:27 PM

Re: remove mod_heart* from 2.4?(was: 2.4.0 GA This week?) [In reply to]

On 2/3/2012 12:51 PM, Gregg Smith wrote:
> On 2/3/2012 9:35 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
>> On 1/3/2012 2:22 AM, Gregg L. Smith wrote:
>>> Since I have been the most vocal about this watchdog/hearmonitor/heartbeats on windows ...
>>> I should chime in.
>>> I can tell someone what each do (as far as I have seen). There are, minimal docvs on all
>>> but watchdog (which is required for a couple) ... but ... look at my emails in the past
>>> ... am hardly the one to write docs :)
>> More to the point, what do they interact with?
>>
>> What convention or protocol are they implemented with?
>>
>> Let's start with the basics; what do they add to this MB's large tarball
>> to benefit Joe User?
>>
> a way of monitoring a cluster of servers and opening another way of balancing the load
> (lb_meathod_byheartbeat).
>
> This is what I see when I look at the bundle.

With what external mechanisms that exist today? Over what protocol?
In use today by mod_proxy_balancer? I'll review the docs myself next
week when I come up for air, but what I don't want to do is ship
something a typical user can't directly take advantage of without
third party modules.

mturk at apache

Feb 3, 2012, 3:47 PM

Re: remove mod_heart* from 2.4?(was: 2.4.0 GA This week?) [In reply to]

On 02/04/2012 12:27 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
> On 2/3/2012 12:51 PM, Gregg Smith wrote:
>> a way of monitoring a cluster of servers and opening another way of balancing the load
>> (lb_meathod_byheartbeat).
>>
>> This is what I see when I look at the bundle.
>
> With what external mechanisms that exist today? Over what protocol?
> In use today by mod_proxy_balancer?

The protocol allows to exchange heartbeat info between multiple
httpd instances and as such is irrelevant.
Although could be made public so that other app servers can
post their status to heartmonitor allowing to add/remove
group members when they go on/off line (at least that's the idea).

> I'll review the docs myself next
> week when I come up for air, but what I don't want to do is ship
> something a typical user can't directly take advantage of without
> third party modules.

No third party modules is needed.
You need frontend httpd and bunch of backend httpd+php or something
like that.

Regards
--
^TM

Apache dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded