Mailing List Archive: Analog: Help

Referrer Data

Analog help RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

email at commercecart

Jan 22, 1999, 6:20 AM

Referrer Data

Greetings everyone:

New subscriber here...really, only joined up to find out one thing about the
referrer data. All this "analog stuff" is completely out of my league, but
the basics are quite necessary for my client services.

Once I compile the reports and view the referrer section, in every case
(about 45 individual reports) the first referrer is always the owners
domain. In many cases, with thousands of "#reqs". Then it proceeds to list
the major search engines, etc., etc.

What do these first #reqs for the domain owner represent? Are they where
users have manually typed in that domain name to get there? Or, are they a
combination of that and search engines that do not enable us to track their
origination? Or what?

It's usually the first question clients ask..."why is this number so large
and what does it mean?"

Denise Palmer

S.R.E.Turner at statslab

Jan 22, 1999, 6:57 AM

Referrer Data [In reply to]

On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, CommerceCart wrote:

> Once I compile the reports and view the referrer section, in every case
> (about 45 individual reports) the first referrer is always the owners
> domain. In many cases, with thousands of "#reqs". Then it proceeds to list
> the major search engines, etc., etc.
>
> What do these first #reqs for the domain owner represent? Are they where
> users have manually typed in that domain name to get there? Or, are they a
> combination of that and search engines that do not enable us to track their
> origination? Or what?

No, they're not that. The referrer is the page which referred someone to a
particular file. There are two main ways in which this happens. First, when
someone follows a link, it's the page they've come from. Secondly, if there
are graphics on a page, that page is reckoned to be the referrer for those
graphics. Both of these are likely to cause your home page to be your most
common referrer.

If you prefer, you can use the REFREPEXCLUDE command to exclude internal
referrers from the Referrer Report, and so just list the external ones.

--
Stephen Turner sret1 [at] cam http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~sret1/
Statistical Laboratory, 16 Mill Lane, Cambridge CB2 1SB, England