Mailing List Archive: Analog: Help
Referrer report - what it shows exactly and why it lists only foreign sites

Index | Next | Previous | View Flat

natalialis at gmail

Jul 15, 2008, 2:03 PM

Referrer report - what it shows exactly and why it lists only foreign sites

Hello,

First, I would like to confirm something. I monitor a site which displays a
lot of graphs which are shared with other websites. If a person visits such
a website and looks at our graphs, the website will be listed in a referrer
report even if the person never visited our site? In other words, report
tracks the source of all requests and not just requests for pages? I'm
asking because in a past discussion I saw that somebody expected the number
of requests in a Referrer report to come close of the number of "requests
for pages" (as if it was tracking requests for pages only) and this
surprised me.

Second, is it normal that the number of requests in the Referrer report is
only a fraction (5%) of total requests?

Third, let's say that I am trying to find out all the major sites which
display our graphs. Does the report list all of them? We have an English
website which targets North-American market; yet, the sites listed in the
Referrer report are almost all from East-Asia. This is not entirely
impossible, but I find it curious and this is why I wonder whether the
report is set correctly or whether we miss something.

Regards,

Natalia