Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Fileman :

Internal Script Error

Quote Reply
Internal Script Error
Ah, where to start... Just to get it out of the way, I am not new to perl. Over 15 years of using this language. I downloaded the single user version of fileman 3.0.0. Actually twice, changed the .tar.tar to .tar.gz, unzipped it, and got all 4 of the files. I checked the path to perl, and my server has always required #!/usr/bin/perl -- , and this is the third server with godaddy. I even tried -T in the perl line. I uploaded with wsftp, install.cgi (ascii) and install.dat (binary).

All I get is the old 'Internal script error'. I checked the server logs (mine is a private dedicated server), and it says 'premature end of header...' I have always used a simple error finder line whenever I have a problem (installed in the cgi program), and it has always shown me the errors instead of the ISE line. This did nothing for this cgi program. I set the permissions to 755 and 666 (and several others for the install.dat). I even tried the install.cgi as install.pl with no affect. I have been at this thing for a couple of hours now.

Has anyone else gotten the single user version and had the same problem?? I know my perl is up to date. Any help would be appreciated since I have never actually seen this program in action, and would like to see it in action before thinking about a multi-user version. Thanks in advance!!
Yep, thats me in my Straight Jacket, and yes its a real one :)
Quote Reply
Re: [pagesbytom] Internal Script Error In reply to
What aer your directories CHMOD'ed to? If they are 777, that may be the problem.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Internal Script Error In reply to
Eeeek... a cgi-bin at 777 ??? Nope it is set at 755. I have other .cgi programs in the same folder that work perfect. It is the install program. I did notice in the start of the install.dat file there were a couple of lines with 'cgi/ ' and 'cgi/fileman.cgi'.

I wonder if the original program was designed to be put into 'cgi' instead of 'cgi-bin'?? The readme definitly says install in the cgi-bin folder. Just did a search, and it appears it is designed to put all the files and subfolders in the 'CGI' folder. I have never seen a server with CGI as its main power folder... I have seen cgibin and cgi-bin. I guess anything is possible. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Ok, well that rules that problem out =)

What happens if you run install.cgi from SSH? (if you have it?)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Oh, and the stuff in install.dat is correct. Its a collection of all the files (compressed), and these are extracted when you install the script Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Internal Script Error In reply to
Sorry for the delay. I gave up on the normal install. I just did not feel like going through the 75,300 lines of code looking for the problem(s). I try to never use self-installers because of the extreme difficulty in removing any of the folders/programs it installs, However, I have extra drives on my server for just such a case (ones I can reformat to get rid of tests like this). The SSH install worked, but it gave 8 errors. The program works though. Could use a bit of tweeking, and i found some of the errors listed in this forum, ones mentioned years ago, have not been fixed yet. I consider it possible that the sections of the program that do not operate just right (after installation), could have been caused by these errors generated during the install... Yes, very possible.

It seems obvious to me that someone put a LOT of work into this project, but then just stopped debugging some years ago. I plan on taking this one on myself, not to release by any means, but to use myself. It has got to be one of the finest File Managers I have seen in years for programmers with a mid to high level of programming knowledge. I would not release it for the average internet user though.

I used an installer decompiler I wrote several years ago to get all the files that create this monster. Now I can start to get into the guts of it, and see if I can tweek it for my own needs. I had seriously considered purchasing the multi-user version, but when someone releases a version (even free) that is still buggy, and does not warn visitors, I find it very difficult to trust the pay version, not to mention the fact that running the install.cgi from a browser does not work. The README does give the option of SSH or Web install, but when one does not work, it should be removed from the instructions.

Just my thoughts. Thanks.

P.S. I found several questions asked elsewhere in this forum that were years old that never got answered. Some were really those, 'your kidding right??' type of questions, but they are asked in earnest, and an answer would have been really nice. I have spoken with several moderators in past years that told me they did not answer certain questions because the questions were stupid, to which I reminded them that at some point earlier in their life they had some pretty stupid questions in other peoples eyes.... How do the beginners learn without the help from more knowledgeable people???