Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

perl nph-build.cgi permission denied ....

Quote Reply
perl nph-build.cgi permission denied ....
hi everyone,
I have a little problem while building via Telnet using 'perl nph-build.cgi' -- It gives following error :
Error Message :
unable to open home page: /home/myhostdir/public_html/pages/index.html. Reason: Permission denied
Script Location : nph-build.cgi
Perl Version : 5.00503

I am not sure if I am right here : I am thinking it is giving the above error bcoz. I am not owner of 'index.html' -- it is generated as user 'nobody'.
I telnet using my site login given by sys Admn. -- but it is not 'nobody' ..... How to fix this ?????

any suggestion ....appreciated.
shivam.

Quote Reply
Re: perl nph-build.cgi permission denied .... In reply to
Try Build all from admin area.
Or change mode the pages directory to 0666.

Quote Reply
It works thru admin area. But I read somewhere in this forum that it's good and faster if you build pages thru telnet area. Also when your database gets big , building admin area sometimes frozes your browser.

Let me know if you have any suggestion. I don't how others are running thru telnet.

thanks
shivam.

Quote Reply
Yes, it is better way when database is large. Please change the permission for the pages directory to 0666.

Quote Reply
I have 777 on pages dir. But still doesn;t work. When we run thru admin area in creates dir and pages with following permissions :
-drwxrwxrwx nobody nobody category
where as for html page ie.
-rw-rw-r-- nobody nobody index.html

strange problem...... can anyone telll what is wrong here?
appreciated.

Quote Reply
U can use this command
chmod -R 0666 /path_to_your_page/pages

Quote Reply
You can't do that either since file is owned by 'nobody' user .... so chmod command will not allow you to do that.
you must be 'su' for doing this. I do not have access to 'su' .....

I have no idea how others are doing thru telnet.

Quote Reply
Delete all pages in the /pages/ folder, including other sub folders. Then CHMOD injdex.html to 666 and try again.

That should sort it. I expectr you built it with the admin panel first, and then tried with Telnet. In actual fact I don't see why you are using Telnet. It actually causes more errors that taking the time for it to be done via browser.

The main annoying thing is that links.db is CHMODed to 664, which means you have to re CHMOD it back to 666 for addition of links and a build via the browser.

Andy

webmaster@ace-installer.com
http://www.ace-installer.com