Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

html editor GM2.2.1

Quote Reply
html editor GM2.2.1
There is no way that tables can now be a part of html mail?
Also if extrenally formatted html mails source is to be pasted that's not possible with the new editor as in case of 2.2.0 editor.

Are these changes going to limit the functionality?

Anup
Quote Reply
Re: [anup123] html editor GM2.2.1 In reply to
I just tried pasting formatted pages into the editor in both IE6 and Mozilla Firefox and they both worked for me.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] html editor GM2.2.1 In reply to
Hi.

What i meant wrt differences was:

Upon right click, the menu that opened had the provision for "Tables" and "Edit Source" in 2.2.0 but in 2.2.1 the same is no more there.

I have not checked from the admin end, but 'presuming that the same html editor must also be used in admin side, what this could mean was:

In case template tags are typed outside of the GM editor and then tried to paste the same then the template tags (say <%dgraph_first_name%> ) would not be template tags untill the source and not the html page is pasted.

With the new html editor, it's not possible to toggle to source mode and then paste the source. Does it mean that in case the source is pasted the reccepient sees the html message in case of source?

Anup
Quote Reply
If you're pasting html, then you should be using the text editor.

Adrian
Quote Reply
If the source is pasted in text mode and the user doesn't switch to HTML mode thereafter and sends the mail, the recepient sees the mail as source and not html mail. This is from GM --> GM as tested (from freemail.gossamer-threads.com to my account on my server). User name anup on freemail account. Also, the message saved in the sent folder when previewed shows html code also.

Also, if a user really does switch to HTML mode after pasting and then switched back to text mode for correction on source, the Text mode doesn't display the source but the Text Formatted Message.

Also, while in HTML mode, how does a user really insert a table?

I hope i am not missing something very obvious.

Also, there is one error which i thought was more rlated to me but is also there on freemail with GM2.2.1 wrt url's

say a text has following:

please visit http://somedomain/somepage.htm for fouther details in the mail. The recepient sees the following hyperlinked url which would never lead to the desired page unless an extra space is introduced between the url ending and the next word:

http://somdomain/somepage.htmfor is what the user gets in his mail.....

Anup
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
If the source is pasted in text mode and the user doesn't switch to HTML mode thereafter and sends the mail, the recepient sees the mail as source and not html mail.
I was actually referring to the admin side of things. A user rarely has to put tables in their emails, and doesn't need to. I don't believe most email applications give you the ability to insert tables into emails either.

If you *really* want to insert a table into an email, you can create a page in, say frontpage, and then copy the formatted html (not the source, but the view of it), then paste it into the editor.

In Reply To:
Also, there is one error which i thought was more rlated to me but is also there on freemail with GM2.2.1 wrt url's
There's nothing you can do about that. The extra text could possibly be part of the url, and we cannot just "guess" that it shouldn't be.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Quote:
There's nothing you can do about that. The extra text could possibly be part of the url, and we cannot just "guess" that it shouldn't be.

Say in text mode the email contains following line:

Click on http://somedomain for further details

The user gets the email where he clicks on

http://somdomainfor

To get over this GM user has to type

Click on http://somedomain for further details (the extra space between url end and the next word). Is it that the user has to always insert that extra space.

Why should a url have a space in case GM is recoginising the adjacent word (after the url followed by space) as a part of the url.

Quote:
I don't believe most email applications give you the ability to insert tables into emails either.

GM2.1.0 Allowed That :)

Anup

Last edited by:

anup123: Feb 14, 2004, 6:05 AM
Quote Reply
Quote:

I have sent PM with freemail.gossamer-threads account details where there are two mails there with the example of url distortion.

Same is true vice versa also.

Anup
Quote Reply
I turns out to be a wrapping bug like you thought. I've attached a fixed GT/Text/Tools.pm.

Adrian
Quote Reply
No Change. See the first two mails in freemail account. It's same as before even after hanging the GT/Text/Tools.pm

Anup
Quote Reply
I didn't change the copy on freemail.

Adrian
Quote Reply
OK, the same is fixed after replacing Tools.pm. Sorry I did not realise that it might not have been updated on freemail.

While on HTML editor of 2.2.1, Following has also been eliminated :

The possibility of setting image attributes (alt, border etc) while including an image (either from url or from disk). With this, if the image is hyperlinked, then the border would always be seen as there is no way now that the border attribute could be changed.

Have these features been removed on purpose?
There seems to be lot of template changes done so i have yet not upgraded to 2.2.1 on live install and checking on the same on test upgrade from 2.2.0-->2.2.1

Anup
Quote Reply
No features haven't been left out on purpose. The new editor is the same one that is used in Gossamer Forum, that has been slightly modified to work with Gossamer Mail. The biggest problem with the old editor was the bug where onload, it would request the user to insert their Microsoft Office cd to install some files. With the new editor, this does not occur.

If you let us know of the features that are missing, we can see if we can get them implemented in the new editor.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Hi Adrian.

As Far As i could see, the following are missing:
  • Image Insert : The Possibility Of Defining the image attributes like alt, alignment and border no more there. SO any hyperlinked image would always have a border there. This border on hyperlinked images looks dirty. In 2.2.0, border could be set
  • Right Click Menu: The Tables And It's associated Menu which comes on the Toolbar, Edit Source (With possibility of toggling back and forth) missing.

Hope the above could be implemented. Nothing but a cause of worry when user's eye "trained" to seeing those things so far could start complaining when they find the same missing after the upgrade.

Also a query:
In 2.2.0, removing the blank spaces, comments and remarks and those formatting spaces from the templates (common and the others), could get the size down from 17K+ to 11K+ now.

However, doing the same thing with 2.2.1 gives no change on the HTML editor file size. It's always the same at ~9.0K

Anup
Quote Reply
I'll talk to Bao or Jason about getting the image attributes added to the editor. However, I don't think we'll be able to get the right click menu in.

In Reply To:
In 2.2.0, removing the blank spaces, comments and remarks and those formatting spaces from the templates (common and the others), could get the size down from 17K+ to 11K+ now.

However, doing the same thing with 2.2.1 gives no change on the HTML editor file size. It's always the same at ~9.0K
Ummm... I don't know what to say, except that you don't really need to do that if you're using mod_gzip.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Thnx on looking into the possibility of adding the image attributes part in html editor. JIC it is possible (as right click menu is ruled out), have some toggling between the source mode and back to html mode, just like Yahoo/Hotmail. I think that it is possible on either one or both of them though their source mode shows <div> </div> tags only if i am not wrong.

While on the mod_gzip issue, yes i am using that. It has made very big difference. I was just trying to understand as to why the difference is not reflceted as all the sizes that i mentioned were from log files were the compressed sizes (and not the original file sizes). If in 2.2.0, removing all the comments etc could result in about 6K benifit (on compressed content), why isn't the same happening in 2.2.1

Anup