Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Next update..

Quote Reply
Next update..
I'm having some trouble getting our script that automatically packages up the updates working properly. I'm giving up for tonight but will revisit it tommorrow with a clear head. =)

I'll put the next snapshot up then.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: Next update.. In reply to
Hello Alex,

You allready know when next snapshot will be released ?

Also why did you post version 1.13, is it because your think the time path for the new release will take some months ? I just wanna know when i can expect a 'good' working version for the new sqllinks ?

1, 2, 3, 6, 12 months ?

Allready thanks.

Regards Startpoint...

Quote Reply
There were enough requests, and enough code fixes that it made sense to release a 'fixed' version. No reason for new installs, or those wanting to apply the upgrades to have to apply the fixes themselves.

http://www.postcards.com
FAQ: http://www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply
Pugdog,

Well i understand what you are saying, but that was not what i wanted to know. I hope GS will repond on my question. Somehow i got the feeling they are pretty scared to respons on questions about there own time line off new version. Well i wonder why :)....

No serious i just wanna know when i can use to new version, i now have 1 site on links2.0 and need to upgrade it. But i don't wanna upgrade it twice.

Regards Startpoint.

Quote Reply
Coding is not a mathematical process. I think stressing the developers about the next generation is not the best thing we have to do. So let the developers do their job with the peace of mind. We know what we have to know: a good idea about the new features, the upgrade will be free and we'll get a beta version as soon as it's ready. Hard to ask more than that!

Regards

Sharif

Quote Reply
Lol Sharif,

You really think i can make them stressing ? Men they laugh about story's like these.
Well maybe you followed the story about the new version, so thing again.

I like the people at GS only the company communication and planning style have to improve.

Regards Startpoint.

Quote Reply
Hi!

We posted 1.13 for selfish reasons -- support. Not having support questions like: Why doesn't the search work? A: Oops, the resync wiped out your search weights. =)

They happen often enough that a new version was warranted.

In Reply To:
You really think i can make them stressing ? Men they laugh about story's like these.
Believe it or not, we do stress quite a bit about missed deadlines, bugs, code quality, etc. Everyone here takes quite a bit of pride in what gets put out.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Believe it or not, we do stress quite a bit about missed deadlines, bugs, code quality, etc. Everyone here takes quite a bit of pride in what gets put out.
Well i understand that, but i wasn't talking about that.... Anyway you can miss a deadline i understand that, but it's about how long you miss a deadline. I think 1 or 2 weeks are 'acceptable', but you there miss the deadline by months for sqllinks. I was waiting for the new version, but about 1 1/2 month ago i dediced to start with version 1.1 because my client can't wait so long. I think if you hadn't so good product many customer had left you by now...

Also you misslead my be telling my months ago that the new version was coming within weeks. I know this is allready been here in the forum and you try to explain why that happened.

I don't understand why you make new products and update products even if the deadline for the new sqlinks version is long past. That's why i think you 'don't' care, but hey that's business i understand you view fully, but somehow i don't feel happy about it Smile!

So: no hard feeling, it's just my personal view of the things that happened here. I only hope you finish the new version a.s.p.

Regards Startpoint.

Quote Reply
As a 20+ year computer programmer, and one who has become intimate with the old links code (2.0, 1.11) and has started to look and work through the SQL 2.0 code, what happened, is the project got away from them.

It looked like a simple upgrade.

Then they added a feature, and 6 new "problems" or changes became apparant, and it was worth fixing them before the release. Then, in doing so, new "problems" became apparant, and the whole thing turned into a complete rewrite of all the core modules, all the core logic, and all the code on top of the logic.

If you go through the new code, you'll not recognize anything.

So, think of this as going from version 1.2, to 1.3 to 1.5 to 1.6 to 2.0 without ever releasing the intermediate versions, and all the hassles of support, upgrades, and stuff they'd have to go through.

So, while from a user stand point it looks like just delays, they chose not to release intermediate versions, going instead for a full version release, and _one_ upgrade process, rather than 6 or 7 upgrade processes.

Quote Reply
Why don't i like that rewrite thing ?

Anyway hope it's will be here within 2 weeks and they skip the beta stage ! Smile

So i can finally start with my own project, i don't wanna use version 1.12 or 1.13 ....

Regards Startpoint.

Quote Reply
If you get into the Links SQL code, you'll have the feeling it's a 1.0 version from how it's coded.

Looking at the next release code, it's much more mature, and many of the hold overs from flat-files non-sql and non-mod_perl non-object programming are fixed.

When you have a clear idea of what you are doing, sometimes the only way to do it is a rewrite.

I would have liked this done 6 months ago as well. We are entering our busy season, while June/july/august are the slow times. But, better code, that doesn't have to be replaced 10 times, is better use of time on my end as well.