Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer AutoRespond : Discussion :

Chaning outgoing e-mail address to include name

Quote Reply
Chaning outgoing e-mail address to include name
I have modifed my outgoing e-mail address in Autorespond to be "Paul <paul@mydomain.com>" instead of just an e-mail address. This way users see e-mails coming from "Paul" instead of just an e-mail address.

My quick tests show that there is no problem with this but I wanted to see if the developers think that this could be problematic.

Thanks,

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: [PERydell] Chaning outgoing e-mail address to include name In reply to
This should be ok to do, just remember that if you try to retrieve your password using your email address that you have to put in the whole thing or else it won't match.

Mel
Mel Goulet
Developer - Gossamer Threads, Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Mel_g] Chaning outgoing e-mail address to include name In reply to
Great software Mel... I ran into a few things I'll try to ask them in the correct posts.. starting with this one Smile

The "Mike" email@anywhere.com format does work for sending the mail, but I have found two problems while using this format.

1- I set-up my clients accounts and pre-load them with messages... when I use the e-mail format above, when the client logs-in and goes to their profile, the e-mail field is blank... even though the "Mike" email@anywhere.com data is in the user email filed within the database, it does not show on the profile form. First thing the client does is enter their email address which then starts mail going out with no name in the from field... Could you have the from field in the header of the message pull the name from the "<user_First_Name> <user_Last_Name>" <<user_Email>> fields like this?

2- If I use the "Mike" email@anywhere.com format the <user_Email> tag does not work in a HTML message, it just shows the Mike and if it's hyperlinked it does not have the email address in it.
Quote Reply
Re: [homebase] Chaning outgoing e-mail address to include name In reply to
The best way to do this then is going to be to add another field called Display_Name and add this field to all the appropriate template. Then make a change in the code so that the email address is Display_Name, Email Address.

If you want me to do this customization for you please email me directly at mel@gossamer-threads.com and I can give you a quote on it.

Thanks,

Mel
Mel Goulet
Developer - Gossamer Threads, Inc.