Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Hosting :

SpamAssassin users

Quote Reply
SpamAssassin users
Hi,

Just a quick note, that if you have any custom spamassassin config files, you should remove Osirusoft from the real time black hole list. It's gone down and doesn't look like it's coming back up. It's also marking all IP's as being spammers.

You can add:

score RCVD_IN_OSIRUSOFT_COM 0
score X_OSIRU_DUL 0.0
score X_OSIRU_DUL_FH 0.0
score X_OSIRU_OPEN_RELAY 0.0
score X_OSIRU_SPAMWARE_SITE 0.0
score X_OSIRU_SPAM_SRC 0.0

to your spamrc file to disable this black hole list completely.

If you don't have a custom spamrc (i.e. one you generated through shell or a custom .qmail file -- any changes from the mail admin tool are ok), then you are ok as we've updated the server wide spamrassassin configuration to ignore this rbl.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] SpamAssassin users In reply to
What alternative rbl, if any, would you recommend?

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] SpamAssassin users In reply to
We use as many as possible, but something is not considered spam or rejected if it is only in one rbl, it only increases the score slightly.

For a very aggressive rbl, use bl.spamcop.net (will mark some legitimate mail as spam though). Some other common ones:

list.dsbl.org
relays.ordb.org
sbl.spamhaus.org
opm.blitzed.org
ipwhois.rfc-ignorant.org

It's really kind of sad the amount of processing power every piece of message needs to go through to combat spam and viruses.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
>>>It's really kind of sad the amount of processing power every piece of message needs to go through to combat spam and viruses.
<<<

Tell me about it Frown 3 infections in the last month (not on GT hosting, in case people think that its slipping through their system).

Thats with AV updates every other day too... its just insane!

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] SpamAssassin users In reply to
I know.. a message comes into the server:

1. First goes through a list of known bad IP's and bad mailfroms
2. Then goes through an anti virus scanner which scans it for over 10,000 known viruses.
3. Then gets delivered to the user and goes through spamassassin which
- runs over 708 tests on the message
- looks up the IP address in over 20 real time black hole lists
- puts the message through a baysean filter which does a statistical analysis on the content and compares it with previous known spam.

Man.. people are going to need a separate server just for their email pretty soon. =)

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
I thought bl.spamcop.net shouldn't be used as a rbl?

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] SpamAssassin users In reply to
I wouldn't use it where it filters based on being listed in spamcop, but I do find it useful to bump the spamassassin score by one or two if the mail came from a site listed in spamcop.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
I am not a GT Server user, however, I thought I'd post some other blacklist servers that may be helpful for others configuring Spam Assassin or other Anti-Spam server or client products....

relays.visi.com
blacklist.spambag.org
hil.habeas.com
ztl.dorkslayers.com
blackholes.intersil.net
blackholes.wirehub.net
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Hi.

What would be a *Safe_Enough* score to reject after DATA: based on this score so that *obvious_spam* is not allowed in at all.

Thanks
Anup

Last edited by:

anup123: Jun 27, 2004, 5:15 PM