The primary purpose of this release is to get out Gossamer Forum's mod_perl-2 support, and as such there are really only a couple new feature, aside from the new mod_perl support.
- URL shortening. By default, Markup posts containing URL's (such as '[url]http://www.example.com/some/very/long/path/that/keeps/going/and/going[/url]') are displayed in shortened form (such as 'http://www.example.com/...eeps/going/and/going').
- The search page now has an option to sort by either score (default, and the current, fixed behaviour when using indexing) or post time. (This change was made previously available in the Gossamer Forum: Discussion forum).
- mod_perl 2 now supported. Although this isn't final support, barring any major changes between the current (1.99.13) and final (2.0) releases, the code should handle the final mod_perl 2 release.
- Converting from markup to plain text when using [#ff0000]-style colour tags would result in the tag not being removed.
- A missing module, GT/SQL/Tree.pm, was added to GForum/mod_perl.pm; though a trivial change, it can avoid a problem when GForum is loaded under the same mod_perl installation as an older GT product with an older version of the GT/SQL/Tree.pm module.
- An optimization was made to internal code that happens when a user posts that may increase performance on installations with both a large number of forums and posts.
This upgrade should be very easy to perform in terms of template changes as it only contains 2 small template changes.
This upgrade should be considered optional - upgrading to 1.2.3 is only required if the above features/fixes are desired, or if you wish to attempt to run Gossamer Forum under mod_perl 2 (though not yet released, beta versions are currently shipping with some Linux distributions).
The 1.2.3 release is available now from the Gossamer Forum download page. The german version of 1.2.3 should be available shortly.